JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vizio VBR200W dead unless I freeze it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustGreg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Vizio VBR200W dead unless I freeze it Reply with quote

Hi folks. First post as a new member.

I bought a used fixer-upper Vizio VBR200W Bluray DVD player for $20 on ebay to tinker with during the long winter months and the thing has me stumped.

When the player is at ambient temp it powers on but freezes at the Vizio logo and won't budge. Power indicator and bezel logo are lit. It won't do a laser carriage alignment at POST and the tray won't open.
If I throw it in the chest freezer for an hour or so it will power up, the tray opens (verrrrry slowly Laughing ) and even let me navigate the menu's but refuses to play a disc. I can understand that because the lenses are frosted over; or at least foggy and the disc can't be recognized?

I've checked voltages and everything is as it should be. I've been unable to find a service manual for it and learned that even Vizio's User Manuals don't ship with their players; they have to be downloaded from their site.

I've reflowed solder joints that are accessible but don't have access to a reflow oven to make sure the hidden joints are good. It may very well be toast from an internal chip failure (memory, GPU, ???) and unrecoverable but I just can't seem to let it go. Laughing

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thank you in advance.

Greg
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might look for bulged tops on power supply filter capacitors.
Reflow soldering of digital processing chips is not even possible in the field.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: