JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RS 15-1994
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldgrouch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP1
Is it normal for the Delcom driver to be listed as Delcom Proxy rather than to
be shown as a comport such asxcom3 or com4.
If its not normal what procedure to I use to make it a comport rather than proxy?
Could this be possibly the reason that I keep receiving the message Open Device Failed (error=03) and not recognizing the remote.
I think that I have just about reached the end of the road in regards to the RS 15-1994 and will be going to the JP2/3 for future remotes but before I go to that I want to be sure that I have done every thing correctly.
I want to thank everybody who has tried to help me.
Thanks Lou Smile
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is listed as Delcom Proxy, that means you are using the WinUSB driver. That's the name I chose one late night to indicate that this driver is meant to replace the standard Delcom driver. Right click and look at the properties. On the Drivers tab, I expect you'll see that hifi-remote.com is listed as the provider and the date is 1/11/2010.

Go to the Details tab, and you should see DeviceInstance ID with value USB\VID_0FC5&PID_1222\xxxxxxxxxx. The x indicate numbers and letters specific to your computer.

Make sure that you are using IR8.03. The file date is 5/25/2010 5:08PM.

On the Interface menu item, select JP1 USB (the third choice). The click on Check Interface. What does it say? If it includes the word failed, please write exactly what it says. For example, I expect that it might say Last Error= 03 rather than Error = 03. This will help me see in the source code where things are going awry.

One more thing: Use RMIR 2.00 and on the Remote\Interface menu item, click on JP1 USB....
That should show you the VID, PID and Guid associated with the WinUSB driver.
The WinUSB Guid is {cafa8e93-7c32-4c27-b088-d8c36aaf4ebf}.

If instead you see {b5157d69-75f8-11d3-8ce0-00207815e611} (the older Delcom guid), then we've got some confusion in the driver setup.
oldgrouch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I.R. version 8.03
learned signal decoder Decode(IR2.41)
exchange IR version 0.08
J12 serial driver version 0.16
cannot locate file date

Delcom proxy
provider date 1/11/2010 version 1.0.1.1
location 0 ( USB IO controller)
Device instant ID USB\VID_OFC501PID_1222\6&B2DF
CF6&0&3

Open Device Failed (Last Error=03)

I cannot supply the WinUSB Guid numbers untill I download the
maps.images & rfd to the RMIR and once that is completed.
Please advise if the Guid numbers will still be needed
Tks again Lou
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my computer (XP, SP3), if the Delcom cable is plugged in, I can see thr Delcom proxy stuff in device manager, and IR sees the interface.

If I unplug it, the Device manager window quickly removes it from the list of USB controllers list, and of course IR doesn't see it, returning OpenDevice Failed (LastError = 3).

If you unplug your Delcom cable, is it removed from the USB controllers list?

I still would like to see the GUID information, because it seems that Windows can see the interface, but IR can't.
jimdunn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
because it seems that Windows can see the interface, but IR can't.

@oldgrouch:

At the risk of being an old bore... Sad

Can you confirm that you looked at this post, and tried the suggestions?
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=95746#95746

This USB behaviour still seems quite odd to me in some ways, and, at the very least, confirmation that you had considered this would cause me to go back into "my corner" and leave you alone for a little while... Laughing Twisted Evil
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't rememeber where WinUSB guid is Sad Is that something in IR? RM? Registry?

My pid is slightly different. Where oldgrouch has 0fc501PID, I have 0fc5&PID - see the ampersand?

I'm watching, because I have a box where delcom failed but WinUSB works and am trying to square some info to maybe help.

Oldgrouch still hasn't told us what USB type is in the devices.

Also if being a limited user or standard user this might fail, though I'm not sure. That open device error could have to do with rights.

Oldgrouch, I feel your pain Smile
oldgrouch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solvd
I would li9ke to thank those people who have worked with me on trying
to resolve the problem.

All I had TO WAS TO READ THE WDP INSTRUCTIONS VERY THOROUGHLY

Lou
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you mind suggesting how to improve the instructions? Might save time for somebody else.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, could you tell us what the problem turned out to be, as it might help us help the next person.

Glad you got it sorted, hopefully this will give you many more hours of happy JP1 programming! Smile
oldgrouch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To: 3FG ,The Rob Man
I am not a tech writer,programmer I am just a mediocre computer person.

Installing the WinUSB driver in Windows XP

Ref 9A Click Have Disk button
I thought that a program disk CD was needed to install the driver until somebody told me the word Disk has multiple meanings it could mean like the "C" drive ,cd rom, ext h.d. etc.
So once I clicked the Have Disk button everything fell into place.
The bottom line read the instructions carefully and read 2-3 times to be sure that is my case.
Thanks again Lou
jimdunn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldgrouch wrote:
Ref 9A Click Have Disk button
I thought that a program disk CD was needed to install the driver until somebody told me the word Disk has multiple meanings it could mean like the "C" drive ,cd rom, ext h.d. etc.
So once I clicked the Have Disk button everything fell into place.

You're not the first person to find that confusing.

I do some PC support, and several times, installing drivers, I've asked people to click "Have Disk" and been met with the response: "But I don't have a disk".

The fact is, it's bad UI design in Windows - the button has said that since Windows 3, when pretty much all drivers used to be installed from floppy disk.

Microsoft should have changed the button name long ago to "Browse to Driver Files" or "Specify Driver File Location" or something more meaningful which reflects the fact that people download and install driver files as often, if not more often, than they use a "disk" as such.

The fact that they haven't changed it means that people need to give instructions that seem "strange" (there are many other examples)

oldgrouch wrote:
The bottom line read the instructions carefully and read 2-3 times to be sure that is my case.

Well, yes, that's always good advice, and it does solve your problem in this case...

[rant]

But I do feel your pain - if the button the user needed to be asked to click had a name in the OS that "made sense" in context, the user would be much more confident and less confused about "just following the instructions".

The famous example from the past is dialogs which said Ok/Cancel/Retry/Ignore - most people (often including the programmer...) had no idea how this was supposed to work - leading to such tortured instructions as: "Click ok to proceed, cancel to return, retry to try again and ignore to proceed anyway" - generally leaving one none the wiser as to what would actually happen when an option was clicked....

The problem is, that once users are trained to "just click ok" etc, even when doing so doesn't really make logical "sense", they will then tend to just do that without reading what might be an important message.

About 75% of the people contacting me for support say "I got an error message, so I clicked ok" - but when asked what the message said, have no idea, because the "click ok, click ok" routine is such second nature now, they don't even read them.

[/rant]

Regardless of that mini rant of mine - I'm very glad you solved it Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: