JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Beware: JP1 Cable from DIYGADGET does not fit RCA CRCRP05B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ve3lnc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Beware: JP1 Cable from DIYGADGET does not fit RCA CRCRP05B Reply with quote

The JP1 Cable from DIYGADGET does not fit the RCA CRCRP05B Remote. It is about 2 mm too wide. It does fit the Atlas Remotes, but not the inexpensive RCA learning remote. Problem sent to DIYGADGET.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy's using a smaller connector.

The standard 6 pin connector didn't fit in the 15-133. 15-134. or 15-135 either. Before I got the smaller end, I took a dremmel tool and cut out the casing on the radioshack remote.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remove the outermost clip and it will fit. Put a dab of super glue on the inner clip to keep it together under stress. Better yet, buy an adapter from Tommy Tyler. He makes the best cables as well.

Radio shack 15-13x models have the same problem.

EDIT: Vicky and I posted at the same time. I forgot about making the opening bigger. That will work too.
ve3lnc

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to make the opening wider to avoid having the connector fall apart. But more important I was trying to get DIYGADGET realize that they have a problem that they need to fix. I filed a ticket with them. We'll see what they say! I will post their reply.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying THIS cable doesn't fit? Otherwise, you bought the wrong cable. So DIY knows about the issue and has already addressed it by selling a different model as well as an adapter for their other models.

Look through that thread while you're there and notice that DIYGadget takes about 3 to 5 months to respond to a question.
ve3lnc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not want a USB cable; I wanted the serial cable, that's why I did not order THAT cable. I ordered THIS: JP1.2/1.3 (FLASH) Serial Cable for Universal Remotes T-JP23-SERIAL

Also, the cable appeared DOA. None of the test programs would work! Opened the shell and discovered that Pin 5 was connected on their little circuit board. Couldn't trace exactly where it went, but once the lead was clipped, everything worked like a charm. Time now to get to work learning the codes for the Electrohome DVD for Rob.
jchiso

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same situation having just received the cable for use on a Radio Shack 15-134 remote. It would help if they explicitly stated the models with which these cables are compatible. I don't own a Dremel, so I don't even know what to do.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not clear on which cable from DIY doesn't fit.

Is it this one or some other one?

If it's another one, just remove the outer clip and reinforce with super glue. My cable has worked for years under heavy use like that.

Alternately, get an extension from DIY or Tommy Tyler for $10. Both clearly state it's needed for the Radio Shack model in question.

Also the plastic on the remote is quite soft, so a box cutter will work fine.
ve3lnc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jchiso I agree. I've noticed that they have modified their wording to list which models it won't fit. Beware that the list is not complete. The RCA remote should also be listed. If you already have this cable use an Xacto knife or box cutter to shave the edges of the plug and glue it back together as mdavej suggests.

BUT, make sure that you open the connector (the serial end) and very carefully clip the wire for Pin 5 (see my response above).

As for which cable I am talking about I stated in my response above that it was the serial cable. I did not want a USB cable; I wanted the serial cable, that's why I did not order THAT cable. I ordered THIS: JP1.2/1.3 (FLASH) Serial Cable for Universal Remotes T-JP23-SERIAL. The picture above is the USB cable.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS is all you have to do. No cutting required. Then put a drop of glue where the wires are and squeeze back together.

I know the big grey plug won't fit the RCA and current radio shack's. But I'm still trying to confirm whether or not the one pictured above is also too big due to the heat shrink, or is it ok as is.
prelude
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Are you saying THIS cable doesn't fit? Otherwise, you bought the wrong cable. So DIY knows about the issue and has already addressed it by selling a different model as well as an adapter for their other models.

Look through that thread while you're there and notice that DIYGadget takes about 3 to 5 months to respond to a question.

yes addressed the problem long time ago.

I do not visit this site too often, thus if you send me a PM it could take months to reply, but, if you submit a ticket at http://www.csbooth.com, I will reply in one business day.

Thanks
prelude
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ve3lnc wrote:
jchiso I agree. I've noticed that they have modified their wording to list which models it won't fit. Beware that the list is not complete. The RCA remote should also be listed. If you already have this cable use an Xacto knife or box cutter to shave the edges of the plug and glue it back together as mdavej suggests.

BUT, make sure that you open the connector (the serial end) and very carefully clip the wire for Pin 5 (see my response above).

As for which cable I am talking about I stated in my response above that it was the serial cable. I did not want a USB cable; I wanted the serial cable, that's why I did not order THAT cable. I ordered THIS: JP1.2/1.3 (FLASH) Serial Cable for Universal Remotes T-JP23-SERIAL. The picture above is the USB cable.

Sorry about the problem you are having, you should have received a little business card and the URL of the support ticket system was printed on it, you could have opened a ticket for us to replace the DOA cable.

Also, to clarify, we've had the warning message regarding small opening on certain remotes long time ago, probably in 2009. So you must have missed that.

Again, you can still submit a ticket at www.csbooth.com and have us to send you a new cable.

Thanks
jimdunn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no wish to "pile on", but it may be worth mentioning that a couple of years ago I purchased a JP1.x serial cable from DIY which wouldn't communicate with any of the remotes I tried it with. This was with or without pin 5 bent out of the way. I emailed DIY and was offered a replacement without any fuss if I returned the cable. In the end I never got around to returning it. I decided, instead, to purchase one of Tommy's USB cables/JP1 adapters, which has been 100% reliable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: