JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to get started with JP1 and a simple device

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron Bowater

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: How to get started with JP1 and a simple device Reply with quote

I'm looking to program a URC6131 via JP1 to drive a simple device with about eight commands using the standard NEC protocol (40khz, 32bit sequences ... Address/complement, Command/complement). I've built the simple parallel JP1 interface and downloaded ir.exe which both appear to work correctly. However, with all the complexity of ir, km, rm etc I'm struggling to see what I need to do to get 8 x 32 bit sequences mapped onto 8 buttons on my remote.

Can someone offer me advice on how to do this quickly and painlessly please ?

Thanks
Ron Bowater (Winchester, UK)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How to get started with JP1 and a simple device Reply with quote

Ron Bowater wrote:
I'm looking to program a URC6131 via JP1 to drive a simple device with about eight commands using the standard NEC protocol (40khz, 32bit sequences ... Address/complement, Command/complement). I've built the simple parallel JP1 interface and downloaded ir.exe which both appear to work correctly. However, with all the complexity of ir, km, rm etc I'm struggling to see what I need to do to get 8 x 32 bit sequences mapped onto 8 buttons on my remote.

Can someone offer me advice on how to do this quickly and painlessly please ?

Setting up a device upgrade without RM/KM is near impossible.

Normally setting up a device from learns is relatively painless using RM or KM.

If you have signal information from another source, such as a hex listing, then you might need a little help. If that's the case give us the information, and someone here can help you set up your upgrade from the raw hex.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you don't mention it, I have to ask, did you modify your URC-6131 so that it will work with JP1? (ie, Did you add the 6-pin and an EEPROM).

Assuming that you did, the next step is to look at the info that you're trying to program. You seem to have some knowledge of the NEC format, do you have a file or something that has the detailed info on the signals that you're trying to replicate? If so, please post it so one of the experts can decipher it and help get you started with an upgrade.

This is a difficult way to go about creating an upgrade as it's not the normal path. Regular users do not have detailed descriptions of the signals that they want to replicate, instead they typically use their JP1 learning remote to capture the signals and then use the JP1 tools to see the signal info, where it's displayed in a format that makes it easy to drop the info into RM or KM.

Most of the time, these users will then load their upgrade files into the file section here so that users with non-learning JP1 remotes, such as yourself, can use them to add the same devices to their remotes.

Btw, what is the device that you're trying to add? Have you checked to see if we already have it, or something similar?
classicsat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do realize that most IR protocols use a device/command scheme, meaning device code is the same for all the buttons, just the command code changes, it is pretty easy with KM or RM to make an upgrade.

For just 8 buttons, using a fixed device code should be fine.

To do it, you simply need to first find out the device address and the OBCs you need, and make sure they are in the bit endian KM/RM want.
You just punch that into RM.

If you are writing the code for the device, you could as easily choose an existing NEC upgrade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: