JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

To copy and send a code
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Timmerman
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cauer29 wrote:
If you're just trying to capture what the remote is sending so that you can figure out how to replicate the signal, then I wouldn't bother programming a PIC to do the capture. That's just re-inventing the wheel here. Get yourself a proper widget

The IR Widget is a PIC12F629.

Building one would be a reasonable first step for this project.

The PIC12F629 can also be used to facilitate precise IR capture using a sound card.
humanus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfiine wrote:
I have only a guess at what you mean. If this guess is incorrect, please explain (our help will be incorrect if we misunderstand what you're trying to do).

You found the TSOP device inside the AC (that is used by the AC to receive the IR signal)? You plan to modify the AC itself so you can mix an electrical signal from the PIC into the output of the TSOP? You don't intend the signal from the PIC to be converted to IR and then back from IR to electrical. Instead the signal from the PIC will be wired directly into the AC?

My purpose is to be able to open or shut down the air conditioner by means of a cable remote which uses a PIC microcontroller. So if I want to open the air conditioner in cooling mode with the set degree on the LCD remote, I will just copy that situation of original LCD . I mean I want to rebuild the code of the present situation of original remote and sent it by a cable from a central remote just to the output of IR demodulator (usually TSOP type) which is located near the control board of the air conditioner. So in this case I do not need any carrier frequency, I just need the pure condition, as bit stream, of some keys of the original remote in order to send them to the microcontroller of the control board of the air conditioner. Sorry if I can not explain correctly what I mean. Because English is my second language. However, your opinions and suggestions really illuminated me.
cauer29

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

humanus wrote:
My purpose is to be able to open or shut down the air conditioner by means of a cable remote which uses a PIC microcontroller. So if I want to open the air conditioner in cooling mode with the set degree on the LCD remote, I will just copy that situation of original LCD . I mean I want to rebuild the code of the present situation of original remote and sent it by a cable from a central remote just to the output of IR demodulator (usually TSOP type) which is located near the control board of the air conditioner. So in this case I do not need any carrier frequency,I just need the pure condition , as bit stream, of some keys of the original remote in order to send them to the microcontroller of the control board of the air conditioner. Sorry if I can not explain correctly what I mean. Because English is my second language. However, your opinions and suggestions really illuminated me.

I'm thinking that the term "cable remote" means something very different to you, than it does to most folks here. The common use of the term here, is to refer to a handheld IR remote supplied by the user's cable TV company and used to control the set top box also supplied by the cable TV company. I think that when you use the term, you're referring to some sort of external device that is connected to the air conditioner by wires.

We understand what it is that you need in terms of the unmodulated signal. It's not difficult to get what you need, but none of us here has the IR remote that you have. So, we can't supply what you need.

A.A.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

humanus wrote:
I just need the pure condition, as bit stream, of some keys of the original remote in order to send them to the microcontroller of the control board of the air conditioner.
I think you are missing the point that John was trying to make. In our experience with other air conditioner remotes, the reason that the IR bitstream is so long is because there is not a specific code for each key. Instead, the remote sends all possible settings to the air conditioner every time. Pressing a key on the remote may modify this bitstream, but to decode it you will have to analyze the bitstream sent for every possible combination of temperature, fan speed, etc.
cauer29

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Timmerman wrote:
cauer29 wrote:
If you're just trying to capture what the remote is sending so that you can figure out how to replicate the signal, then I wouldn't bother programming a PIC to do the capture. That's just re-inventing the wheel here. Get yourself a proper widget

The PIC12F629 can also be used to facilitate precise IR capture using a sound card.

I wasn't implying that using a PIC was a bad way to get the timing, but rather that re-inventing the widget was a waste. If the OP was resistant to purchasing a Widget due to the expense, or lack of long term need for one, then I was offering some alternatives.

A.A.
humanus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Timmerman wrote:

I have thought to have an IR widget would be useful and I have built one with RS 232 output. Dear Kevin, can you inform me which asm file is better for this version and where can I find this file? Because when I examined the assembly codes of "the Rev 4 ,2008-08-15" I saw that this is for USB output type. Finally there is an IR detector LED in the circuit. Is this really and IR led, or IR diode? I could not find IR detector here in my country, but I found TSOP 1256 and connect it as IR demodulator. Is it possible to to write your dear comments.
humanus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_d_p_gumby wrote:
humanus wrote:
I just need the pure condition, as bit stream, of some keys of the original remote in order to send them to the microcontroller of the control board of the air conditioner.
I think you are missing the point that John was trying to make. In our experience with other air conditioner remotes, the reason that the IR bitstream is so long is because there is not a specific code for each key. Instead, the remote sends all possible settings to the air conditioner every time. Pressing a key on the remote may modify this bitstream, but to decode it you will have to analyze the bitstream sent for every possible combination of temperature, fan speed, etc.

This is not important for my project. Because this is just the point I aimed. To rebuilt the one situation of mix of modes ( like Fan, Mode, Temp Set, etc)
cauer29

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

humanus wrote:
I have thought to have an IR widget would be useful and I have built one with RS 232 output. Dear Kevin, can you inform me which asm file is better for this version and where can I find this file? Because when I examined the assembly codes of "the Rev 4 ,2008-08-15" I saw that this is for USB output type. Finally there is an IR detector LED in the circuit. Is this really and IR led, or IR diode? I could not find IR detector here in my country, but I found TSOP 1256 and connect it as IR demodulator. Is it possible to to write your dear comments.

I'm not Kevin, but I can answer the question of IR LED vs IR diode. Any LED (light emitting diode) can also function as an IR "diode" for detecting infra-red. That is what is commonly done for the purpose of capturing a raw IR stream sent by an IR remote control. This is different than capturing the demodulated stream. There are limitations to capturing the demodulated stream. Specifically, you will not know the modulation frequency and while that usually doesn't matter much, it can compromise range significantly if you don't reproduce the original frequency within 10% or so. For your application, it seems that it won't matter.

In any case, I still don't see why you're pursuing building a capture device. You already have the TSOP demod. Just hook it up to your soundcard input and that's all you have to do. Start recording in whatever audio recording program you have, press the button on the IR remote and it will record the data stream that you need to duplicate. So, why make the extra effort to build a widget that you're only going to use once?

A.A.
humanus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cauer29 wrote:

I'm not Kevin, but I can answer the question of IR LED vs IR diode. Any LED (light emitting diode) can also function as an IR "diode" for detecting infra-red. That is what is commonly done for the purpose of capturing a raw IR stream sent by an IR remote control. This is different than capturing the demodulated stream. There are limitations to capturing the demodulated stream. Specifically, you will not know the modulation frequency and while that usually doesn't matter much, it can compromise range significantly if you don't reproduce the original frequency within 10% or so. For your application, it seems that it won't matter.

In any case, I still don't see why you're pursuing building a capture device. You already have the TSOP demod. Just hook it up to your soundcard input and that's all you have to do. Start recording in whatever audio recording program you have, press the button on the IR remote and it will record the data stream that you need to duplicate. So, why make the extra effort to build a widget that you're only going to use once?

A.A.

Thank you for your help Caurer29. I wonder which one is more precise in order to see the correct timings of the bit stream, soundcard or IR widget? I have read a comment about the sound card which tells you must use a PIC device or a circuit with TTL IC's in order to observe IR capture with a sound card. Could you please tell me some more details about the capture by soundcard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: