JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

irp notation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barrygordon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: irp notation Reply with quote

I was just surfing the net and began to realize how far "irp" notation has come. When I first discussed it with John Fine over a decade ago I had no idea that it would be enhanced and expanded over the years to something used by so many people dealing with IR.

It does make an old man feel good!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry, your name seems very familiar even though your join date is so new. Didn't I study some documents that you wrote for the JP1 forum when I was learning how to decode protocols?
barrygordon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am that barrygordon (actually Barry V. Gordon).

I am still very active on remotecentral in the Pronto Pro area and have started dealing with the iPad and a system called iRule. I am retired now but my web site http://www.the-gordons.net still has a lot of old stuff and a lot of newer stuff in the areas of RS-232 and TCP/IP.

Was, and still am, glad to contribute to the field. It has been a long journey, but a happy one.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I thought the name was familar
Infrared Signals - Pulse Width Method by Barry Gordon. I must have read that article 100 times.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
barrygordon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I will assume it was bcause you just loved the meter and tempo of the prose.

Glad to have been able to help you in any way that I might have.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barry, welcome to the JP1 world, it's great to have you here. I didn't realize that you had re-joined the remote world, as last time we spoke you had pretty much dropped out of it. John is still here too.

This group is 10 years old already, and you were an old hand at it when we started.
barrygordon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, (Rob Crowe?)

I got pretty involved with DVDO when the started devloping thier iScan VP scaler Line, and then Philips. I have spent a lot of effort helping them with the Pronto PRO line. I never left the remote world, but have been concentrating lately on the use of RS232 and really TCP/IP.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's me. I hadn't heard of DVDO before, so I'll have to check them out. The Philips Pronto, of course, I am familiar with! Smile Good to know that you're helping them out.

If you have any time and/or interest, it would be nice to see you over here occasionally. As Vicky mentioned, your IR doc has certainly had a second life over here, along with Guy Kuo's doc on bi-phase signals.

If you ever come across a signal that you need help decoding, because it has a weird checksum or something, please feel free to bring it over here for us to take a crack at, as we love that sort of thing.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Oh yes, I thought the name was familar
Infrared Signals - Pulse Width Method by Barry Gordon. I must have read that article 100 times.
Me too Smile
barrygordon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very flattered ladies.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just FYI, I spent hours reading, and re-reading, Barry's doc when I got started. It's so detailed that you can't just read it once and "get it". It's amazing how easy it is for me to read Pronto hex now, but back then it was beyond "Greek to me".
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
And just FYI, I spent hours reading, and re-reading, Barry's doc when I got started. It's so detailed that you can't just read it once and "get it". It's amazing how easy it is for me to read Pronto hex now, but back then it was beyond "Greek to me".

Thank you Rob. I'm always glad to know that other people struggled to understand the concepts too. I've always known I wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but getting a grasp on infrared signals made me feel just plain dumb. Laughing Rolling Eyes
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find this old thread entertaining...
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-one4all/thread.cgi?516
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
barrygordon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread and the old reference Rob posted made me smile a lot these past few days. Thanks to all of you for that. I am definately "repaid" for my initial labours.

My wishes to all of you for a happy and joyous holiday
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: