JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Labels and Foam
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Labels and Foam Reply with quote

I have a couple of low tech questions.

How do you label keys on black remotes? I have have some clear slide on decals that I made for my silver remotes. I used clear inkjet tatoo paper, and these labels work great on the silver background. I bought this clear tatoo paper off ebay a decade ago at a little over a dollar a sheet. I have no idea what brand of paper it is. These decals stick well, don't smear, and can be removed when I change the gear around. However these don't work on black remotes, even if I just print in yellow, I can't read them.

If you are labeling your keys on black remotes, could you tell me what you are using?

Also, when I moved, I must have pitched my reupholstering supplies, and now I need some more foam for my 4-battery remotes. I had folded up a piece of paper towel to hold the batteries in place, but after a few months, this bowed the back cover and now the batteries are looser than ever. When I was using foam this didn't happen. So I don't want to buy a whole cushion's worth of foam $$$, and was wondering if anybody found a less expensive source of foam that was the right consistency to hold the batteries in place but not bow the back cover.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would something like this work...
http://cgi.ebay.com/220702200640
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it said felt, that sounds hard. I was hoping someone else was else was using a foam that they knew would compress but hold. The foam I used before was great, but I don't know where to get small quantities. My sister suggested that I try the foam off some Goody Curlers. That does look like it might compress easy enough to hold the batteries and not bow the back cover.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you doing with the foam and why do my remotes not need it?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know if there's a Michael's hoppy store in your area? If there is, you might want to try there.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

underquark wrote:
What are you doing with the foam and why do my remotes not need it?

After 8 to 10 years of use, the remotes that take 4-AAA batteries have a problem where the batteries rattle when the remote is handled. This causes a momentary loss of connection which kills the extender. The low tech fix for this is to glue a piece of easily compressed foam to the battery-cover of the remote where all 4 batteries meet. I started having problems with my 8810 and found that the foam had turned to dust. I couldn't find any foam, so I folded a small piece of paper towel, in the case. That was too firm and eventually bowed out the back cover of the remote, so it doesn't want to sit flush.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some battery covers have foam added at the factory.
greenough1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
What about single sided foam tape? Home Depot/Lowe's/Ace hardware/ etc. should have a selection of widths and thicknesses.

Best,
jeff
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I've cut up a foam hair curler, and I think the foam part is handled. I'll see if this keeps the extender running, and then glue it in place.

I still need a way to label the buttons on the black remotes.

ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky,
Re: FOAM. Just buy a Sears air conditioner Smile , the one made by LG.
With it came perfect 1mm thick foam. Been using one in 7800 and 8910 for ages. Recently replaced the one in 7800. For the very reason you mention. Ratttles kill the extender. And not all batteries are the same size even though they may say AA or AAA, the thickness differs.

When the remote is in hard use for programming, the cover stays off. I just use the blue tape Home Depot sells in the paint department. Put across the battery compartment. Because at that time if I turn the remote over, all of them for me, the batteries fall out enough to kill the just enabled extender. Tape is also good to label something like for xxx room, IR file (vs RMIR), date while the tweeking goes on.

Home Depot sells some sort of foam things for sealing doors and windows. It has B shape. You can cut it lenghthwise with scissors. Soft and good as well. Seems to stick to the remote cover well enough. And with a 3-foot length, we have sufficient amount to cover the entire JP1 community Smile
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:

[Home Depot sells some sort of foam things for sealing doors and windows. It has B shape. You can cut it lenghthwise with scissors. Soft and good as well. Seems to stick to the remote cover well enough. And with a 3-foot length, we have sufficient amount to cover the entire JP1 community Smile

Obviously you haven't seen my stockpile. Rolling Eyes Laughing Although most of them are 2 battery remotes.

underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes. I see that my 8910 came factory-fitted with foam (either that or the Robman fitted it prior to sending it to me). My 8820 (a two-battery remote) has a little plastic keel that presses against the batteries. A lot of things (especially kids' toys) you buy nowadays come with clear, sticky gel stuff on the packing box somewhere. Maybe look out for it at Christmas and apply a gob of the stuff beneath the batteries.
Ellen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky, I have a bunch of pieces of foam that I think were packing material for some smaller electronic components I ordered who knows how long ago for some project or other. No, I don't know why I kept them. I suppose for occasions like this Wink

They are about 3.75" x 5.75" by 0.25".

If you would like them, PM me your snail mail address and I'll send a few to you.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ellen, but foam isn't nearly as hard to come by as wire was when you guys were teaching me to solder. Thanks again for those snips. The curler foam seems to be doing the trick, but I'll watch for foam packing material over the holiday.

underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foam packing material is what I use to stand my PVR on to prevent it from transmitting hum to the wooden cabinet. Some people use squash balls cut in half. That gets me thinking - if you're handy with a knife you could cut a piece off a squash ball (like taking the top off a hard-boiled egg) and see if that pushes against the batteries properly. It shouldn't flatten out over time like the foam does, either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: