JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

guidance required

View previous topic :: View next topic  
javamaan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: guidance required Reply with quote

Hi,
Just got a RadioShack universal remote. It is a model 15-134. It seems to be a decent remote. I was able to program it for my cable box and TV. But for some reason the code for my receiver doesn't work. my Yamaha rx-v595 doesn't respond to any codes mentioned in the manual the remote came with.

One other thing, the remote is really slow to respond. Dedicated remote seem to respond faster. is this expected?

if i program using a jp1 cable, will it respond better?

Can i make the remote do the following without using a jp1 cable?

1. When i press sat/cable, i want the TV to turn on as well.
2. when i press DVR, i want the computer(DVR), tv and cable box to turn on.
3. navigate in windows media center? (i know i am asking for too much but ask anyways)

or am i just dreaming?

how long would one take to setup such a mechanism for someone with no knowledge of jp1?

Javamaan
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: guidance required Reply with quote

javamaan wrote:
Hi,
Just got a RadioShack universal remote. It is a model 15-134. It seems to be a decent remote. I was able to program it for my cable box and TV. But for some reason the code for my receiver doesn't work. my Yamaha rx-v595 doesn't respond to any codes mentioned in the manual the remote came with.

We have an upgrade for the RX-V595. That upgrade shoots a NEC1 122 signal. Your 15-134 has three Yamaha upgrades that should give you some control over your receiver. Try Audio/0176, Audio/1176 and Audio/1276 and see which one provides you with the most functionality. Once you pick one, you can get the rest of the functionality with EFC's.

Quote:

Can i make the remote do the following without using a jp1 cable?

1. When i press sat/cable, i want the TV to turn on as well.
2. when i press DVR, i want the computer(DVR), tv and cable box to turn on.
3. navigate in windows media center? (i know i am asking for too much but ask anyways)

or am i just dreaming?

You can definately do that with a cable. I think the 8820 and 8820N are the only remotes that I know of that can do that without a cable.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
javamaan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looks like i have a to get a cable to upgrade/EFCs?

Is there a way to make the remote work faster?
right now the remote is slow. It looks like i have press and wait for it to act and then press again for a different button. Clearly it takes much more time than other remotes.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

javamaan wrote:
I looks like i have a to get a cable to upgrade/EFCs?

Nope, this can be done manually if you want to do it that way. I HATE doing it that way, but that's how I got started with this JP1 group. They gave me keymoves and showed me how "keymove" them on to keys via *994 commands. I much prefer doing this visually with the software, but you need to get hooked slowly. I'd start by having you read the sticky in the non-jp1 Guide to manual programming with 9xx commands

Quote:

right now the remote is slow. It looks like i have press and wait for it to act and then press again for a different button. Clearly it takes much more time than other remotes.

I'm not intimately familar with the 15-134, mine is still shrink wrapped, so I can't give you a definate answer. Moving your upgrades to the upgrade area might shorten the response time, and using an extender might shorten the response time, but I can't give you any assurance. Any speed up procedure would need a cable and I can't guarantee anything.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

javamaan wrote:

This is an unusual symptom, are you finding that the 15-134 is slow for all devices? Could you list the setup codes that you are using for each device that is slow to respond?

How did you program the buttons that are acting slowly, did you learn them from the original remote or did you program them as part of a setup code?
javamaan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
This is an unusual symptom, are you finding that the 15-134 is slow for all devices? Could you list the setup codes that you are using for each device that is slow to respond?

How did you program the buttons that are acting slowly, did you learn them from the original remote or did you program them as part of a setup code?

It is slow for all devices. The cable box remote is definitely faster than the 15-134. Cable box is Scientific Atlanta cablevision set top box (4200hd). I am using the manufactures code "00477". There seems to be no difference between "00877" and "00477". It is non-dvr box.

How do you learn? is it programming key by key?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you just using this remote to control one device (ie, the SA STB)? If so, that doesn't really tell us that the remote is slow for all devices. You mentioned a TV in your first post, what setup code are you using for that and is the remote slow for that also?

Learning is described on page 11 of the user manual:
http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/ProductManuals/1500134_PM_EN.pdf
javamaan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the TV is also slow. I think i used the code 10154. I should have read the manual fully. Sad Looks like it is preprogrammed with sony tvs.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of a remote acting slow for all device modes. Are the batteries fresh?
javamaan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battries are fresh. Let me ask you a different question: Does the JP1 remote reacts the same way as a dedicated/original remote?

When i press a button on mine, i the led blink a few times. I see the channel change after the SAT button stop blinking.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that's new information that you didn't mention before. When the LED blinks like that, it's usually an indication that the batteries are low.

And yes, a JP1 remote is meant to act exactly like the original "OEM" remote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: