JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OARC05G
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pichet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this plug appears to accomodate both round AND square 0.025" pins all together:

DigiKey ED90320-ND aka Mill-Max 0303-0-19-15-16-27-10-0

Finding the right header terminal/plug blocs without having to make any trade-offs is no impossible task, IMHO...

Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 5/19 JD4x4 found that the OARC05G did not respond to a JP1.x (Flash) Interface.

On 5/19 MaskedMan reported that I had concluded the OARC05G was not JP1-able, based on my tests of a unit he had given me to evaluate a month earlier.

Today I dug the unit out of my pile of remotes to refresh my memory. I had installed a 6-pin header, and I remembered having to drill .035" holes PRECISELY in the center of the six .060" diameter pads. That leaves an annular ring around the hole only .012" wide to solder to. If you survive not letting the drill bit drift enough to tear off one of these rings, the next obstacle is to solder to the skinny ring without lifting it from the board. Perhaps I thought that alone made it un-JP1-able, because few members have the skills, tools, and determination to complete that job successfully. But I just tried a download with my JP1.2/3 (Flash) Interface, and there's no communication. I think that at the time we didn't know whether it was JP1.3 or some new variation, but at any rate I also remember that nothing I tried at the time would put the remote into serial comm mode so it would communicate. I tried various baud rates and a lot of other stuff.

On 5/23 JD4x4 got a signature blink-back response to code 983.

Then after about three months with no messages posted, Pichet says he bought three, and provides a very nice PCB picture. He comments on the "absense of metalized holes" being a potential problem with lifted traces, without commenting on the difficulty of drilling the tiny pads.

On 8/21 Rob gives a description of a way to deal with adding a header. I think he was on the right track, but things seemed to go downhill in subsequent posts. Let me build on Rob's idea with a proposal.

(1) Cut a small, rectangular piece of perf board that is three holes wide by four holes long, File or sandpaper the edges of this rectangle so it is no larger than about .25" x .40", with a 6-hole pattern in the center. It must fit within the rectangular opening in the battery compartment where the JP1 connector is located, with a little clearance all around the edges.

(2) Cut the solder ends of the pins of a standard 6-pin header to a length of 1/16" or slightly less, so they won't stick through the perf board.

(3) Tin the ends of pins 2, 3, 4, & 6 with a tiny amount of solder, just enough to wet them. Don't bother with pins 1 and 5. There are no connections to those pins with a USB JP1.2/3 (Flash) Interface.

(4) You will need four pieces of bare #30AWG wire (.010" diameter) about 1" long. A good source is to strip the insulation from wire-wrap wire.

(5) Plug the header into a mating socket to keep the pins aligned and straight during soldering. The header plastic softens easily with heat. Use your interface connector for this if you have nothing else. Lay the end of one of the small wires against pin 2 and melt the solder to tack it to the pin. Make sure the solder doesn't make a blob too large to pass through one of the perf board holes. Those holes are usually .040" diameter, so the combination of .010" wire and .025" square pin doesn't leave room for a lot of solder. If necessary you can file away some of the excess solder, or cut it away with an Exacto knife, or enlarge the hole in the perf board slightly.

(6) Repeat step (5) with pins 3, 4, and 6.

(7) Now you need to cement the header to the perf board with epoxy so that the four wires pass through their corresponding holes and hang out. Try to do this in a way that avoids getting epoxy on the tiny wires where they exit the perf board. Use a little extra epoxy around the perimeter of the plastic header for added strength.

(8) Using a hand held pin-vise and #76 drill (.020" diameter), Carefully drill pads number 2, 3, 4, and 6, centering the holes as best you can.

(9) Using tweezers, insert the four wires into their corresponding holes in the pads, then cement the perf board to the main PCB. Again, apply epoxy around the perimeter for strength, but stay within the walls of the rectangular opening in the battery compartment.

(10) After the epoxy sets, turn the board over, bend each wire flat against its pad, and solder it. Carefully cut off excess wires with an Exacto knife.

I haven't modified an OARC05G in this way, so this is strictly an unproven technique until someone tries it.

However . . . . what makes us think it will do any good to modify an OARC05G to add a JP1.3 connector? Has anyone ever communicated with one? It certainly has the right processor with the right connections to be a JP1.3, but I'm haunted by the fact that I was unable to communicate with it, and the possibility that its firmware doesn't include the serial comm routine. Maybe there is something wrong with the unit I modified. Can anyone offer conclusive proof that this is a JP1.3?
Pichet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummm...

It just wouldn't make sense to add a header knowing that this brand/model will refuse to communicate with the JP1 application anyway.

Euh... Tommy, i believe you when you tell me there are no connections made to pins #1 and #5 but then i just wonder why in hell a pair of useless resistors were installed by the manufacturer, not to mention that their corresponding signals were carried all the way up to that peculiar JP1 connector!...

Maybe the micro-controller still requires a pair of resistors but it doesn't explain why these had to be seen thru the JP1 pads too; possibly, some pins are useless indeed or is it something unexpected: such as having to deal with a new JP1.4 interface, for example?!

I can't but notice the possibility that pin #1 is controlled by Q1, which means there's even more excess weight if it's not supposed to be used!... I really find this a bit puzzling.

Either it's an undocummented command or some special test bed but something tells me that these alledged JP1 pads are there for a good reason. What manufacturer wouldn't cut the components count when he can, after all?!...

There has to be a way to turn it on!

That's too bad if the OARC05G is no proper JP1 candidate at the moment, nonetheless. But, at the very least, now we all know about it. I just regret i didn't know that for sure before.

Wink
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't give up on it just yet. I also have a remote which won't communicate with our JP1 software, and this one comes with a 6-pin connector pre-installed.

I suspect that they've changed the platform in such a way that we also need to change something on our end. It's yet to be determined whether it's a hardware or software change (or both) that's required.
Pichet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i'm still somewhat hopeful so that's why two more photographs are being added to this thread today:

Main View of circuit board

Maximum Magnification of micro-controller area

Those are brute/unpolished samples but i thought a few curious readers might appreciate this...

Wink

P.S.:

I yet have to determine what's the minimum "mating length" for Tommy's female connector(s), though.
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at Pichet's signal routing picture and it seems pin#4,#6 go to P0.0 and P0.1 which is different from the other remotes. They may have changed the communication protocol. Maybe they are using TOOL mode(I2C)? Slingbox Blaster chip protocol? Good Luck.
Pichet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I still have no information about how the micro-controller pins are being allocated. Would you, please, share what you know of the layout using this photograph?:

For example, it's clear we must look at the lower-left corner to find pin #1 but then how are the pin numbers distributed? Must one count in a clock-wise manner starting from the key corner pin which is 1st on the bottom-left? Is pin #2 facing pin #1 on top with pin #3 right beside pin #1, etc?...
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pichet wrote:
Hi,

I still have no information about how the micro-controller pins are being allocated. Would you, please, share what you know of the layout using this photograph?:

For example, it's clear we must look at the lower-left corner to find pin #1 but then how are the pin numbers distributed? Must one count in a clock-wise manner starting from the key corner pin which is 1st on the bottom-left? Is pin #2 facing pin #1 on top with pin #3 right beside pin #1, etc?...

In my experience, the bottom left pin is pin 1, the one to the right of it, pin 2 and so on counter-clockwise.

It is becoming fairly obvious that we have a JP2.0 situation on our hands. I am tempted to buy one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EYV224?tag=j0df-20
As no one has even posted pictures of the PCB yet - but I will wait until I at least give some time to seeing if I can contribute to RM_IR Smile

xnappo
Pichet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My appologies everyone, it wasn't that hard to find after all:

The drawing above is my enhanced version of the one from here:

Samsung S3F80K9 User's Manual r1.21 (2010-Feb-19)

(User's Manual, page 33 of 328, e.g. 1-7)

Maybe it's not exactly the same but i'd say that's a close match...

Good luck xnappo with the OFA OARN08G!

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what this means, but apparently the FDRA/Config file structure has changed.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm glad you didn't take the easy way out. This is good stuff. Looks like binky was right about Tool mode. See page 318 (17-4).
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this in my notes but not sure if it'll work.
Code:

JP1                JP1.3
IDC-4 SDA    ----  IDC-4 SDAT
IDC-6 SCL    ----  IDC-6 SCLK
IDC-3 GND    ----  IDC-3 GND
IDC-5 nRESET ----  IDC-2 nRESET
               +-  IDC-1 V+
               +-  IDC-5 TEST TOOL mode for programming(normally low, V+ to activate)

Also from your pictures, it looks like P3.0(pin3), P3.1(pin4) are still being used for something. Perhaps, you can still use these for the JP1.3 communication protocol?
Pichet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new around here, maybe it's not worth a mention but i noticed the following passage (Samsung S3F80K9 User's Manual r1.21, page 36 of 328, e.g. 1-10):

«In the tool mode, P0.0 and P0.1 are assigned as serial MTP interface pins; SDAT and SCLK»

In other words, JP1 pin #5 (S3F80K9 pin #9) affects JP1 pins #4 and #6 since it sets the micro-controller in "Tool" mode when equal to logic 1 voltage level...

Relatively to port 03, the same document at page 251 of 328 (e.g. 9-2) reads as follows:

«P3.1 is dedicated for IR drive pin and P3.0 can be used for indicator LED drive.»
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP1 pin #5 is known which is why this is disconnected on the JP1.3 cable to prevent accidental entering of TOOL mode.

P3.0 and P3.1 uses are the same as in the current JP1.3 remotes. P3.1 is used to drive the IR transmitter and can also be sampled to see what signal is being sent by the remote.
Pichet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, i guess this means no joy...

Hummm... I wish i got URC-7950 units instead: having clones is less than satisfactory so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: