JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Comcast/Pace DC50X Cable Box
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerbo, you've posted so many places, its kind of hard to know where to post a reply.

At one point you said that this continuous flashing doesn't happen with every push.

Quote:
it SEEMS to work on my remote, in that when I press a couple of number buttons it emits a signal that works on my STB. However, it's only a matter of time before my remote "freezes" (with the IR signal being constantly emitted, like the button is stuck but the physical button is most definitiely not stuck). First time it happened with number 1. Without doing anything in IR, I just removed batteries and tried it again. Num 1 worked fine, num 2, 3, 4, 5 OK... then the same "freeze" happened on 6. Bottom line, something is not stable or right with my implementation.

That's not what was happening on the other processor (s383) so I'm thinking that perhaps you've started triggering the low-voltage reset. On some remotes, when the batteries get low, the continuous flashing can occur. When you are doing a lot of uploading it really eats up the batteries.

If replacing your batteries doesn't fix your problem, we'll look at the protocol, but if this isn't happening with every key push, its probably not the protocol.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky--it's possible that other remotes corrupt the register in a different manner, so maybe it does not happen with every button press.

This issue has not yet been fixed in either KM or RM, so it does not matter which you use. Try using this protocol upgrade instead of the one provided in Rob's file:
Code:
Upgrade protocol 0 = 01 6C (S3C8+) XMP (JP1) test
 43 8B 71 8B 05 00 00 69 01 67 08 0A F0 C0 04 0A
 C0 60 C0 0E 04 07 C0 88 C0 B6 C8 08 CF 10 09 6B
 05 E4 0A 09 B0 0A C0 C5 F6 FF 50 6C 08 E4 0D 0C
 C6 F8 13 D7 F6 01 58 E4 0C 0D F6 01 0A FB 02 6A
 EF 46 08 80 08 C8 7B E0 37 5E 3F 46 08 10 00 C0
 56 C0 0F 56 07 F0 44 C0 07 6C 03 F6 FF 65 C6 F8
 17 F1 F6 01 58 3C 04 F6 FF 75 F6 FF 75 6E 3A F7
 1C 12 8D 01 4C F6 FF 70 F1 C6 C7 26 56 C2 0F 6B
 09 C6 F8 00 3E F6 01 58 2A F7 AF
End

Jerbo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_d_p_gumby wrote:
Vicky--it's possible that other remotes corrupt the register in a different manner, so maybe it does not happen with every button press.

This issue has not yet been fixed in either KM or RM, so it does not matter which you use. Try using this protocol upgrade instead of the one provided in Rob's file:
Code:
Upgrade protocol 0 = 01 6C (S3C8+) XMP (JP1) test
 43 8B 71 8B 05 00 00 69 01 67 08 0A F0 C0 04 0A
 C0 60 C0 0E 04 07 C0 88 C0 B6 C8 08 CF 10 09 6B
 05 E4 0A 09 B0 0A C0 C5 F6 FF 50 6C 08 E4 0D 0C
 C6 F8 13 D7 F6 01 58 E4 0C 0D F6 01 0A FB 02 6A
 EF 46 08 80 08 C8 7B E0 37 5E 3F 46 08 10 00 C0
 56 C0 0F 56 07 F0 44 C0 07 6C 03 F6 FF 65 C6 F8
 17 F1 F6 01 58 3C 04 F6 FF 75 F6 FF 75 6E 3A F7
 1C 12 8D 01 4C F6 FF 70 F1 C6 C7 26 56 C2 0F 6B
 09 C6 F8 00 3E F6 01 58 2A F7 AF
End

SUCCESS! Very Happy Thank you, Mr d_p_gumby!.

Vicky, I am just curious about proper "forum protocol". You mention that I have posted in so many places it is hard to keep track. I did accidentally post in a Showstopper thread (too many windows open), so I posted in this thread because I thought it was the appropriate subject, even though there had not been any posts to this thread in several weeks. However, since I did "start" 2 of my own threads within the past several days, should I have instead posted my question in those threads? You all are so helpful, I want to make it easiest for "the experts" and everyone who is willing to lend a helping hand.

Cheers, and thanks again
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its always best to keep your details together. Some of us read all the forums, (I know we have no life) but it is still hard to remember who is who , and what details come from where. Posting in three different threads, was kind of confusing.

You had the symptoms in one thread, and the possible solution in another thread, both places were appropriate, but one place would have been better.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have moved the post from the ReplayTv thread over to this one, so it's all in one place now.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated the S3C8 code in KM 9.21 (beta) for XMP with Mike's new code:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1888
(updated link to point to 9.22)

Last edited by The Robman on Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
jesse0611

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Comcast/Pace DC50X Cable Box Reply with quote

Hi.

Not exactly a nubie with JP1 and the 7800, but currently confused. Trying to get the 7800 to operate a Pace DC50X. After a lot of reading and fooling around with the stuff on this board and with IR and RM, I have it working, somewhat. I find that the 7800 won't learn new non-XMP commands when in the DC50X mode. Just doesn't and mebbe isn't supposed to. And, while it says it's learning XMP codes from the Pace remote, they don't work. Yes, I have plenty of memory. Just won't do it.

This isn't the biggy, though and I can live with it.

The biggie is that, while the volume and channel buttons work, the number keys do not. I tried learning them while in DC50X and I seem to get learns for the number buttons, but they don't do anything.

Anyone got something on this? I saw that some folks were very pleased with their results and I gotta think they have number keys, so I'm thinking I'm missing something. Am I? Or is it just the common use to Channel Up a lot to get from Ch2 to Ch 178? And Channel Down a lot to get back?

I'm old and my thumbs hurt.

In any case, thank you all for your research and work in making this all work. I'm in awe of your tenacity.

Cheers.

WAJ
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The URC-7800 "Cinema 7" is a very old remote and it has a bug in its firmware that prevents learned buttons from working in a particular device mode if the device upgrade that is being used in that device mode uses a protocol upgrade. We reported this bug to UEI at the time and they fixed it by the time the next models of remotes came out (which was probably the URC-8811 and URC-8910).

So, in order to get around this, you need to convert your learned buttons into codes that you should add to your upgrade, and if necessary, program as keymoves from the upgrade.

If what I just described is a bit to advanced, just post your IR file and one of us can probably fix it for you.
jesse0611

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Rob and thanks for such a quick reply.

Yes, the 7800 is quite old, but ergonomically, I find it just right...buttons logical and in the right places and the right sizes and shapes. Easy to operate in the dark. My only complaint is the lack of memory space, but just recently I learned that it is possible to learn and then make a new profile. Gotta try that.

I have three 7800's in various situations and they still perform like champs. And I have one of the RS 15-1994's. Lights up in the dark...kinda nice, but the rubbery coating is starting to get sticky.

In all honesty, for my two main viewing and listening rooms in the house, where I have quite an odd collection of equipment, I went to Sony remotes. Sometimes ya gotta slap them around to get a key learned, but they're ok. Lotsa memory for the stereos, ATSC converters, cable and the antenna rotater.

Yeh, what you described is a bit advanced for me, but that sort of thing is just a challenge for me, really. Determined to try to tough this one through for myself, I started carefully studying the web help page in IR to try to find myself in a place where I could try a few things like converting learns to codes, and then, if I had to bother you, again, I'd have more higher order questions to ask. Well, not long into the page, it suggested that I might want to look at all the upgrades, again. So I did and I found a second upgrade for the Pace box. I downloaded it and lo, the numbers work! So, I'm happy. That I can't get the 7800 to learn the on/off code for the tv while in Pace mode is OK. I understand your description as to why that is and what I need to try to remedy that. But, actually, setting the remote up with the tv's on/off working in the tv mode makes more sense to my wife. This rig is in her sewing room. She's happy, I'm happy.

So, again, thanks much for your offer of help and thanks for inadvertently pointing me to an easy answer.

Cheers.

WAJ
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with these old remotes, I still use a 15-1994 everyday, which is same vintage as your URC-7800 (and has the same learning bug, which is how I discovered it in the first place).

While it's true that these remotes don't have much learning memory, they have more than enough memory to control all of your devices if you build upgrades for them.

As for the TV POWER button, if you decide you would like to have it in CBL mode, instead of learning it, try copying it from TV mode. For example, the following button sequence will copy the POWER button from TV mode to CBL mode...

1) Press and hold SETUP, 2 flashes
2) Type 994, 2 flashes
3) Press TV - POWER - CBL - POWER, 2 flashes
jesse0611

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Rob.

Thanks for the suggestion about using 994. Didn't work, but I know why. It seems that 994 will copy the for-real codes of a device, but not learned codes and my "tv" power is a learned code and I can't find the actual device in the files.

My "tv" is actually a Panasonic 10-inch composite video monitor. No rf input, no audio and no infrared remote. Used to use it as a camera monitor in a TV control room back in another life. So, before Comcast went all digital, the monitor was fed by an Emerson ECC1450 tuner. Nice piece of hardware. It has a switched auxiliary power plug on the back to supply power to the monitor...turn on the Emerson and the monitor goes on with it. The Emerson and the monitor and the powered Advent speakers in the room made a "tv". The Pace box has only an rf output (thank you sooo much, Comcast), so these days I have the Emerson tuner locked to ch3, receiving the output of the Pace box. And there's no way to control the Emerson's power from the Pace remote.

There's no device code for the Emerson tuner as far as I could ever tell, so I just learned the codes for it into the 7800. So, after your suggestion didn't work, I got serious and learned the Emerson power code into an unused device on the 7800, went into RM, made a device, copied the device into IR, copied that into the 7800 and then used 994, as you suggested. Just like a person. And this is tres zippy!

I now have the 7800 set to operate the Pace-Emerson-Panasonic-Advent "tv" on all devices except one, and that one operates my wife's foot massager. One way or another, gonna make her happy no matter what buttons she pushes.

Once again, thanks much!

WAJ
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, do you have it doing everything that you want now, or is there still room for improvement?

Regarding the Emerson ECC1450 tuner, I'd like to get you to capture all the buttons from the remote, if possible, so we can build an upgrade for it. Just out of curiosity, what protocol and codes did the button that you learned use? I ask because I want to see if it matches something we already have before you go to the effort of learning.

[EDIT]Emerson ECC1450 tuner posts split to here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13431
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: