JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Does RM require Java 6?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerbo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Does RM require Java 6? Reply with quote

Well,

Since we started a convo about RM in this thread I'm posting a question about it here... so I have a Comcast DTA and doing some research on this forum lead me to this:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6408

Of course it is an RM file. And it seems as if this XMP protocol is nothing but trouble, reading thru some threads, so I figured now was as good a time as any to give RM a shot.

OF COURSE SUN's WEBSITE WON'T LET ME DOWNLOAD THE SUPPOSED FREE JRE (or JDK) v6. WTF.

So my question is simply -- will RM (with XMP support) work with JRE 5? The instructions for RM would seem to indicate "no", but I thought I would ask since I believe one can download JRE prior to v6 from other, non "Sun" websites. If not, I'm stuck again.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OF COURSE SUN's WEBSITE WON'T LET ME DOWNLOAD THE SUPPOSED FREE JRE (or JDK) v6. WTF.

But, of course, it will let you download version 6. Thousands of people do it every day.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html
or
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Jerbo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG -- I understand thousands of people do it everyday, and I am not questioning that it is a free download. I am saying that from Sun's website, when i try to download, the message I get states:

"Your download transaction cannot be approved. Contact Customer Service."

I have XP SP2 on two different computers... one has IE 7 and one has IE8 and I get the same error message. THIS SAME THING HAPPENED WHEN I TRIED THE FIRST LINK YOU PROVIDED.

YOUR SECOND LINK WORKED! Thank you very much for that. I could not find that myself, but clearly the "manual download mode" is what I needed. I haven't installed yet... will do that now.

I wasn't trying to be "difficult" and I wasn't questioning the integrity of the instructions, link, Java, or the fact that it is free ... I was frustratred because the link from the RM setup instructions just didn't work for me, that's all. I greatly appreciate you providing me with a supplemental link, which DID work. So, thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: