JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Make your Panasonic DVD Player/Recorder Region-Free

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garypen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Make your Panasonic DVD Player/Recorder Region-Free Reply with quote

Hi all. I decided to start a new thread with a more appropriate title than the one where we've been discussing this.

I recently uploaded a new device upgrade to make Panasonic DVD Players and Recorders region-free. I used the general info that's out on the Net, took a CCF file, converted the codes to JP1, and created the file.

My DVD Recorder now can play R1 and R2 discs just fine. I can only assume that the other regions will work, as welll.

The file is located here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3445

The instructions are included in the notes section of the file.
mappedyr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it on my Panasonic harddisk recorder: DMR-EH52. It works! This is really great news. I have been looking for a region hack since I bought the recorder but I never could find one.

Now, I can finally enjoy my region 1 "Office Space" DVD Very Happy

Cheers,
Kjeld
Aletab

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Download Reply with quote

Could you email this code? I cannot open it up on my computer. I need something other than the 00F2 option.

Thanks!
garypen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to use a JP1-capable remote, JP1 software, and a JP1 cable to program the remote.

All of that info is available on the forums.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EFC for 00F2 is 143. You may also need Subtitle which is 129. Those should work without having to use a cable. What's the other option you're talking about?

THIS thread may also be relevant depending on your location and remote model.
cauer29

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't see the point in doing this since the 2 Panasonic DVRs that I have will not play PAL format 720 x 575 25fps format even with the region-free mod. Don't get me wrong, the sequence is successful. I can set the DVRs to region 2 only and then it won't play region 1 discs, but if I take an all region disc in PAL 720 x 575 25fps format, it won't play in either player regardless of region setting. It doesn't complain about region, but rather it just says that it can't read the disc, which is what it did before the region-free mod. It simply refuses to translate 720 x 575 25fps to 720 x 480 30fps.

I suppose that the region-free mod would allow playing region 2 NTSC 720 x 480 DVDs FWIW.

A.A.
garypen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the point in doing it, as it allows me to watch Japanese DVD's, which are Region 2 NTSC, on my Panasonic region 1 player.

Also, people from other non-region 1 countries that use NTSC, such as S.Korea, Taiwan, Philipines, Mexico, Bolivia, Columbia, Venezuela, Peru, Chile, etc, but who reside in region 1 and use a region 1 Panasonic DVD/BD player, would see the point.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I do understand the complaint, years back before you could make most players region free, I spent a lot of money on a modified Pioneer DV525 player that had a special sequence that you could enter to make it read a different region code, but it still wouldn't convert PAL to NTSC. So I was very grateful when the multi region/multi format players came along, like the Apex AD600A.
cauer29

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I see that there is some use of this mod. It's just not nearly as useful as it might've been, had Panasonic not artificially prevented playback of PAL format DVDs on NTSC players regardless of region coding. I know that there isn't any technical reason why they've done it since the very same DVRs easily play a divx rip of the same PAL DVDs, still in 720 x 575 25fps. There are quite a few movies on DVD that when released in region 1, are hard letterboxed Vs. the region 2 PAL release where they're not.

A.A.
garypen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a valid complaint about Panasonic's PAL/NTSC limitation, alright. But, to say there is no point in unlocking the region limitation is simply incorrect.

It's odd that they do this, while making it so easy to remove the region limitations. But, as I've learned over the years, there is often very little logic to the decisions of Japanese corporations, Matsushita being one of the most illogical. Perhaps it is more due to its size than it's nationality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: