JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

configuring parallel port

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: configuring parallel port Reply with quote

I have used my home made JP1 connector to my computer's parallel port for years. I just built a new computer, and not surprisingly the motherboard had no parallel port. I purchased a parallel port PCI expansion card (Roswill RC302) which I have configured to work on LPT1, and it works perfectly with my parallel printer, in DOS or Windows XP.

I just tried to change the programming on one of my OFA remotes, and using this parallel connection to IR I am unable to download from the remote. I get an error message that there is no recognizable interface.

It is not this remote, because then I went to try my other JP1 programmed OFA remotes, and it works on none of them.

Can someone tell me how I would configure this parallel port to work with IR? I guess I could go to USB, but I would prefer not to have to buy a USB cable.

Thanks.

SMK
cauer29

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: configuring parallel port Reply with quote

RoyGBiv wrote:
I have used my home made JP1 connector to my computer's parallel port for years. I just built a new computer, and not surprisingly the motherboard had no parallel port. I purchased a parallel port PCI expansion card (Roswill RC302) which I have configured to work on LPT1, and it works perfectly with my parallel printer, in DOS or Windows XP.

I just tried to change the programming on one of my OFA remotes, and using this parallel connection to IR I am unable to download from the remote. I get an error message that there is no recognizable interface.

It is not this remote, because then I went to try my other JP1 programmed OFA remotes, and it works on none of them.

Can someone tell me how I would configure this parallel port to work with IR? I guess I could go to USB, but I would prefer not to have to buy a USB cable.

Thanks.

SMK

You may have to get the port address of the parallel port from contol panel=>system=>hardware=>device manager=>etc etc. Somewhere in there, under resources it will show the port address. Then when you select JP1 parallel in IR, you choose "other" for select port address and type in what you read from the control panel.

A.A.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound like it should work and I think these threads confirm
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9451
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12111
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11879
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. After reading different posts, I tried to check the settings under Device Manager for my card, and the numbers for the port were nothing like the ones others have described. It lists the I/O for the LPT1 port as 9F00-9F07 and nothing like the typical 0328, etc.

So, I checked "other" under "parallel port address" and typed in 9F00, and it seems to be working. At least I was able to download the current settings from the remote. Hopefully it will work as well when I try to upload again the new changes.

Thanks all!!!

SMK
cauer29

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyGBiv wrote:
Thanks for the help. After reading different posts, I tried to check the settings under Device Manager for my card, and the numbers for the port were nothing like the ones others have described. It lists the I/O for the LPT1 port as 9F00-9F07 and nothing like the typical 0328, etc.

So, I checked "other" under "parallel port address" and typed in 9F00, and it seems to be working. At least I was able to download the current settings from the remote. Hopefully it will work as well when I try to upload again the new changes.

Thanks all!!!

SMK

Glad to see that you got it working. As for the address being so different, that has to do with the fact that a parallel port built-in to the motherboard gets one of the legacy port addresses like 278, 378, 3BC, while an add-in card is relegated to whatever Windows wants to give it via plug and play. I've never seen Windows assign one of the legacy port adresses to an add-in card and I've never tried to force it. FWIW my add-in card got assigned FEE8.

A.A.
RoyGBiv

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For WinXP at least there is a radio button in Device Manager under LPT/COM to "allow assigning legacy devices" which I assumed meant it would use one of those ports when configuring the device. It didn't, but it also didn't make any difference as it worked out OK as is.

Again, thanks to everyone at this great forum for this extremely useful information.

SMK
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: