JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Request: Serial above COM4.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
classicsat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Request: Serial above COM4. Reply with quote

I request the next version IR have more that Com4 selectable, or better yet a drop down menu of available COM ports.

I am experimenting with a number of serial devices, and they typically enumerate above Com4, and it is a pain to have to go clear the registry of unused com ports to get them to enumerate to Com 3 or 4. My desktop system has no COM ports free below COM5, so I cannot run JP1 experiments on it at all, except for legacy serial or parallel adapters.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be way off base here, since I haven't added new equipment in years, and always plug all my stuff into the same ports, but if I remember correctly isn't there an "always use" to lock the port when you add a new serial device?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
classicsat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not always. I have a USB serial adapter that chooses a a different port (and installes drives) for different USB ports it connects to. And almost always it is a port above Com4, which I cannot use on IR, especially on the desktop system, where COM1/2 are real RS232 ports, and and COM3/4 are nabbed by what I think is my Bluetooth Dongle (which I need present).
cauer29

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classicsat wrote:
Not always. I have a USB serial adapter that chooses a a different port (and installes drives) for different USB ports it connects to. And almost always it is a port above Com4, which I cannot use on IR, especially on the desktop system, where COM1/2 are real RS232 ports, and and COM3/4 are nabbed by what I think is my Bluetooth Dongle (which I need present).

Most USB serial ports allow you to force the com port number via device manager property sheet. You may have to move another port to free up the number you want, but it is possible. As for your USB to serial adapter using different com port numbers depending on which port it's connected to, that's because it does not contain an electronic serial number. If it did, the operating system would assign the same com port number no matter where you plug it in. Absent an electronic serial number, the OS has to assume that the same model device in a different USB port, must be a different device entirely and so assigns it a different com port number. There are plenty of USB to serial port adapters out there, that do have electronic serial number.

A.A.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a while since I looked at the serial driver code, but I believe that if you just leave the port number to 'auto' it will check any active COM port for a JP1 interface...

xnappo
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's talking about the JP1 Serial interface, not the JP1.x USB/Serial interface.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
classicsat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never seen an Auto option anywhere.

Still, it is archaic for software to only have COM 1 to COM 4 as an option.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - sorry 'auto' is only for the JP1.x interface.

xnappo
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: