JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-7652 bricked?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jim7562

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: URC-7652 bricked? Reply with quote

I was getting along OK for a while with newbie-ish activities like making up the parallel cable and uploading additional files but seem to have run into a brick! wall. My remote is no longer responding to button presses, though it flashes twice when batteries are inserted and when data is uploaded or downloaded. Is there any way to recover it?

I had been using the latest RemoteMaster and RM IR Java version on an Ubuntu PC (an old system, but the only one I had with parallel port) and had not had any problems other than trying to figure out key assignments, but then things started to go wrong. RM IR was showing an error due to lack of space on Move/Macro (the numbers were negative), even though the Moves and Macro Tabs were blank. I removed some keys to reduce the space requirements, but I was still able to upload. Then the programme stopped downloading. The error file showed some java errors.

I tried to recover using the IR.exe tool on a Windows Me partition on the same old machine. (RM would not run on this - the java version could not find the setup.reg file when I ran the setup batch file.) IR reported a few errors on the download (maybe the same ones that caused the java tools to fail), and I didn't know how to fix them. I imported a WAV file I had used previously and IR showed Move keys so I could at least delete them to free up space and upload again. The remote was still working at this point.

I went back to RM which was now working again and continued editing. At some point after this, the remote stopped working.

IR seemed to have a lot of extra tools - are any of these likely to help, even to reset the device to a default state?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely the fix for this would be a manufacturer's reset.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4057

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
jim7562

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, even the SETUP (MAGIC) key is unresponsive, so I can't enter any codes. The interface still allows downloads, so I was hoping there would be some way to wipe memory. Where can I find documentation on the IR tools? The Help command in the menu seems to want to find a *.hlp file which I can't see in the Tools zip package.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Help file is here but you are not going to find what you are looking for. Perhaps a good IR file might help.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
jim7562

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uploaded the rmir file downloaded from the remote. I'll have to re-boot into Windows to get an ir one, if you need it, and to read the help file - thanks for that.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8606
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the thread Vicky linked above, did you read the 7th post by Tommy Tyler? It describes removing the batteries, then holding down a button for a few seconds to fully discharge the storage capacitor.

It is worth trying.
jim7562

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that, thanks, but it made no difference.

After booting into Windows, I tried IR.exe again to download and save the file as IR. The result is here.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8608

When I tried uploading the same file again, the remote came back into life. I couldn't get the correct upgrade codes assigned to keys before it died again, but I suspect this may be a hardware problem. I would appreciate if anyone could confirm that by checking the ir file, or point me to a clean 756x ir file I can try.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can revive it again, do the manufacturer's reset and download it back into IR. If a single bit is wrong in the E2 area you can really mess up the remote.

jim7562

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by E2 you mean the EEPROM, would the IR.exe advanced tools for writing 00 or FF be any use? I couldn't see any description of these in the help file.

I did notice a single byte 00 amongst the FFs at the end of the RAW data.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes when I said E2 area I meant the EEProm. Sometimes we use E2 area to describe the part of the remote where we can write with the JP1 tools. The Flash remotes don't have an EEProm, but they also have an area we can overwrite.

I'm unfamiliar with the urc7562, I haven't seen much chatter about it, so I don't know how "mature" the RDF is. If there is a setting that needs to be there, and the RDF doesn't have the information the IR tools are not going to do you any good. So if someone has a virgin urc7562 image, or if you can bring your remote alive long enough to get do a manufacturer's reset, that would be the best. It could be something as simple as having a bad setup code that is causing all of your problems.

jim7562

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Working again Reply with quote

After some trawling of the forums looking for a 7562 B00 file, I finally found this:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=39703#39703

The user requesting help had exactly the same symptoms as me, on the same remote. The file he downloaded did not bring mine back to life immediately. This may have been because it was the extender version with a different signature to the remote (Ir.exe warned about this but I uploaded anyway), When I went back to an old saved version (with correct signature), the key functions were restored. I was able to reset and re-upload.

Thanks for your assistance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: