JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can my old JP1 cable be adapted to my new PC's ports?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skillethome

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Can my old JP1 cable be adapted to my new PC's ports? Reply with quote

Hi.

I bought a JP1 cable about two years ago (maybe a little more) to upgrade my URC-6131. It's a 25-pin (serial?) type -- two rows of pins. I've since gotten a new computer and just realized that I have no way to attach this JP1 cable. This newer Dell laptop only has USB and VGA (15-pin) inputs.

Am I hosed?

Thank you ...
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hosed? no. But you need a new cable. You have a parallel cable which cannot be made to work via any other connector on your PC, so you either need to buy or build a JP1 USB cable.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)

Last edited by Capn Trips on Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Evan_s

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since he has a laptop he'll probably need to build a JP1 usb cable.

A quick search at newegg showed only one pcmcia parallel port card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839158008 and it was 50 bucks. Couldn't even say for sure if that would work either.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my old JP1 cable be adapted to my new PC's ports? Reply with quote

skillethome wrote:
This newer Dell laptop...

Buy or build a new cable (unless you've got a docking station). Don't go down the route of thinking that "the cable costs more than the remote" - it's still value for money. It's USB only, by the way; you can't interact with a remote via the VGA port (though I'm always willing to be proved wrong).
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Can my old JP1 cable be adapted to my new PC's ports? Reply with quote

underquark wrote:
skillethome wrote:
This newer Dell laptop...
I know, I know - I just responded to the subject line. Nobody calls a Laptop a "PC" Rolling Eyes . I deleted any reference to a PC parallel port card. Sheesh.

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't mean to lay it on so thick, Capn Crying or Very sad . I was multitasking and hit the send button later than Evan s. Never mind, at least we won the rugby against Portugal today Smile . (Although we were the first side they have ever scored a World-Cup try against Confused ).
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see South Africa pummel Samoa?!

Amazon Firestick
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because most of the good Samoans play for Kiwi teams.
javier

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evan_s wrote:

A quick search at newegg showed only one pcmcia parallel port card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839158008 and it was 50 bucks. Couldn't even say for sure if that would work either.

I have bought a $17 PCMCIA Parallel card and it works with my URC-8910 JP1 remote.
Because there are a lot of cards with different chips, look for a card with the MCS9805 chip inside.
This is the link for the card that I have bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/110533099643

When installed, go to device manager in your PC and look for memory I/O resources of your new LPT device. I had to change the address 378 on IR.EXE associated to LPT1 for the new FFE8 of the new PCMCIA card.
If thist is not enough to get the card working, try to change the port configuration (interrrupt, Plug&Play legacy) on the Port Configuration tab of the card properties in device manager.

Good luck.
cauer29

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

javier wrote:
Evan_s wrote:

I have bought a $17 PCMCIA Parallel card and it works with my URC-8910 JP1 remote.
Because there are a lot of cards with different chips, look for a card with the MCS9805 chip inside.
This is the link for the card that I have bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/110533099643

When installed, go to device manager in your PC and look for memory I/O resources of your new LPT device. I had to change the address 378 on IR.EXE associated to LPT1 for the new FFE8 of the new PCMCIA card.
If thist is not enough to get the card working, try to change the port configuration (interrrupt, Plug&Play legacy) on the Port Configuration tab of the card properties in device manager.

Good luck.

PCMCIA and PC-Card are the older standard for laptops. You'd be hard pressed to find a current model laptop that still has such a slot. The new standard is called Express Card. It's a little smaller, but there are at least a few Express Card to Parallel port cards available. They tend to be more expensive and I don't know if they will actually work for JP1, as JP1 requires direct control of the hardware, whereas some parallel port adapters don't allow that, as they're really meant for connecting to an actual parallel port printer and as such, don't need perfect hardware emulation.

A.A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: