JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

XP Mode and Windows 7 x64 - Bad checksum question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stangbat

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: XP Mode and Windows 7 x64 - Bad checksum question Reply with quote

If this is the wrong forum for this, my apologizes.

I'm able to get my Tommy Tyler USB JP1 cable to work on Windows 7 x64 using XP Mode (Windows Virtual PC). I have an 8910. The only problem I've encountered is when downloading from the remote I get the following error:

Bad checksum at address $0000. Expected $DD $22 but found $88 $77.

I am using the extender for the 8910. After getting the error, I added a key move in IR and uploaded. After uploading I got an error that the data on the remote did not match the data in IR. However, everything seems to work just fine.

I haven't ran though every function on the remote but some quick testing shows that the added key move works, and the 8910 controls other devices as expected. Any ideas what is going on? Thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you getting IR to work with a 64-bit machine? Are you using the official IR 8.02 version of IR or the new IR 8.03 Release Candidate 2 which has been modified to work with 64-bit machines?

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12179

When you download from the remote, does the rest of the data look OK? Maybe you should post a copy of your IR file so one of us can take a look.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've put a fair amount of work into getting IR to work with 64 bit operating systems, and during that we found that the Delcom chip that is used in all the USB JP1 cables doesn't work well with some USB host controllers. The primary issue is read errors, and that seems to match your symptoms.

mathdon has recently made available IR version 8.03 Release Candidate 2, which includes support for the Microsoft-written WinUSB driver which works natively with Win7, both 32 and 64 bit versions. This driver replaces the Delcom driver. IR 8.03 in conjunction with WinUSB includes error correcting code that seems to eliminate problems with reads.

Please download

IR 8.03 RC2

The error correcting code requires the WinUSB driver.

First download and read the WinUSB installation instructions,

and then depending on whether you have a 32 bit or 64 bit OS, the driver files:
64 bit driver or the
32 bit driver
stangbat

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
How are you getting IR to work with a 64-bit machine? Are you using the official IR 8.02 version of IR or the new IR 8.03 Release Candidate 2 which has been modified to work with 64-bit machines?

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12179

When you download from the remote, does the rest of the data look OK? Maybe you should post a copy of your IR file so one of us can take a look.

I posted about it Feb 12, 2010 and it was moved to the "The future of JP1 in the 64-bit world" thread. I don't see a way to link to individual threads:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11817

To begin, I started the VM, plugged in the JP1 USB cable, selected it from the top USB menu and used the older Delcom drivers, Version 3.1.0.0. Some more details are in the aforementioned thread.

When in the VM I start IR (I'm using version 8.02). It interfaces with the remote just fine. It is only when downloading or uploading data that I see the errors reported in my previous post.

I'll get IR data later this afternoon or evening and post it.
stangbat

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
We've put a fair amount of work into getting IR to work with 64 bit operating systems, and during that we found that the Delcom chip that is used in all the USB JP1 cables doesn't work well with some USB host controllers. The primary issue is read errors, and that seems to match your symptoms.

mathdon has recently made available IR version 8.03 Release Candidate 2, which includes support for the Microsoft-written WinUSB driver which works natively with Win7, both 32 and 64 bit versions. This driver replaces the Delcom driver. IR 8.03 in conjunction with WinUSB includes error correcting code that seems to eliminate problems with reads.

Please download

IR 8.03 RC2

The error correcting code requires the WinUSB driver.

First download and read the WinUSB installation instructions,

and then depending on whether you have a 32 bit or 64 bit OS, the driver files:
64 bit driver or the
32 bit driver

We cross posted. Thanks for the information. I'll give it a try later.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to your old post (Hint: you can get the link using the icon next to the post's timestamp) :
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=83999#83999

Quote:
Posted: 12 Feb 2010 07:00 pm Post subject: XP Mode

As you can see, we've been working on getting IR to work with 64-bit machines for quite a while and we only just posted the first version of IR that works with them yesterday, so download that version (following the extra instructions that Dave (3FG) posted above) and you should be good to go. You shouldn't need to use XP Mode either.
stangbat

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob and Dave, I appear to be in business. I installed the WinUSB drivers and successfully interfaced and downloaded from the remote in Win7 x64 with no errors. Thanks a bunch for all the effort to get this working with 64 bit OSes.

Rob, I knew there had to be a way to link directly to posts but for the life of me I kept overlooking that little itty bitty folder icon next to the time stamp. Thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, it's not for the visually challenged! Smile
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stangbat,
Please let us know if you have OHCI or UHCI host controllers. The WinUSB installation instructions describe how to find out. It'll help us build up an understanding of what problems are fixed (or not).

Thanks
stangbat

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like mine must be OHCI. Device Manager reports "OpenHCD USB Host Controller."
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case don't know how to find out,
Right click My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device manager
Scroll down to and expand + on the USB jobs at the bottom.
OHCI displays in Device manager as "... OpenHCD USB Host Controller"
UHCI displays as "... Universal Host Controller"

edit - ooops, I was writing as you posted, thanks. Good info. and I forgot WinUSB tells how to find out.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Yep, that's OHCI, and so the behavior you saw matches what we've seen during development.

Thanks.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Hint: you can get the link using the icon next to the post's timestamp

stangbat wrote:
Rob, I knew there had to be a way to link directly to posts but for the life of me I kept overlooking that little itty bitty folder icon next to the time stamp.

Wow, so that's how it is done! It never occurred to me that that icon actually did anything! And I never got round to asking how to do it. Thanks to you both, Stangbat for asking and Rob for answering! Very Happy
stangbat

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
The Robman wrote:
Hint: you can get the link using the icon next to the post's timestamp

stangbat wrote:
Rob, I knew there had to be a way to link directly to posts but for the life of me I kept overlooking that little itty bitty folder icon next to the time stamp.

Wow, so that's how it is done! It never occurred to me that that icon actually did anything! And I never got round to asking how to do it. Thanks to you both, Stangbat for asking and Rob for answering! Very Happy

Most of the forums I frequent are run on Invision Power Board and I'm used to seeing the number of each post on the right and using that as a direct link. I'm not as familiar with phpBB used on this forum and I missed the fact that that icon was the direct link. Kind of easy to do with it being so small, and I also wasn't conditioned to look for it on the left. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: