JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

difficulty getting started with my RCU810

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmrexhau

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: difficulty getting started with my RCU810 Reply with quote

I also just picked up a Radio Shack 15-100 on clearance today, they had a bunch of them for $14. Anyway I am trying to get started here. I ordered my JP1.2/3 USB cable from Tommy and have the JP1 plug for it as well. I downloaded and installed the driver, Remote Master, RDFs, and the Decode IR2.39 Dll. I also downloaded the up to date files for my tvs, vcr, dvd, etc.

I am trying to follow the Biginner guide, but I have run into a problem, and I have some questions.

Question 1, Tommy's cable and jp1 converter have little holes on one side, is this to note the location of pin #1?

Question 2, which remote is more flexible, RS 15-100 or the RCA RCU810?

Problem: I am trying to download from the RCU810 in RM IR, and I get a runtime error telling me that "the application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the support team for more information" I have not soldered on the 6 pin yet because i have two remotes now that need it. I may not be holding it on properly, because the program gives me this message whether or not I have the remote plugged in or not.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're very unlikely to make a connection just holding the pins in place on the RCU810, you will have to solder the pins in.

Do you just have one 6-pin connector? Where did you get it? We normally get them by breaking off 6 pins from a header strip, which means there are more 6-pins on the strip ready to be had.

The RCU810 is certainly easier to get ready for JP1 use, but the 15-100 probably offers more possibilities due to its flash chip.
jmrexhau

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob, (both for responding and running this site). I suspected I would not be able to get a good connection, but I wanted to try. Is that why I am getting the runtime error, or would there be another reason? Tommy was nice enough to get me the 6 pin connector.
I don't know how I am going to put a 6 pin connector on the 15-100, it's under the buttons for the remote (top of the board). The connector will not fit (inside the remote) on either side. There is a spot for it next to the batteries in the remote if I could wire it there. Anyone else done this that would like to tell their story? Edit: Found TT's PDF on the procedure.
Though I would like to know why we can't use the JP1.3 location on the board (I know it's under the battery compartment, but I could cut that part off so the wires would lay flat. I don't know I can solder in #4 that is so close to the rest of that chip and the pins.) Also couldn't pin 5 just be snipped to help remember the orientation of the pins?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15-100 is a bitch to make into a JP1 remote, as you can see. The 6-hole location is completely blocked and there isn't an opening for a 6-pin anywhere else. The rocket scientists were on vacation the week that they invented this remote.

If you don't care about keeping things pretty, you certainly could solder some very fine wires to the 6-pads and solder a 6-pin on the other end of the wires. The reason it wouldn't be pretty is because the 6-pin and wires would always be hanging out the side of the remote. This is how I did mine, but then again, I never intended to use it as a remote, I just wanted to run some JP1 tests on it.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I did a modified version of Tommy's in that I soldered everything to the pads but routed the connector end his way. That way it was easier to do and the connector stores nicely under the battery door. There's also a good reason 5 can't be snipped, but I don't remember what. We've already been through the brainstorming/frustration phase that you're in now. There's a big thread somewhere with a lot of different connector ideas.
jmrexhau

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the discussion on the 15-100 modification. A lot of good ideas there, I may add my own here soon. I think I will pick up a bunch of these to give to family who have not yet consolidated their hoard of remotes.
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmrexhau wrote:
Question 1, Tommy's cable and jp1 converter have little holes on one side, is this to note the location of pin #1?
The description of the Adapter on my catalog page says:
Quote:
Instructions for using the Adapter can be found HERE .
That link explains all about the little holes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: