JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Same Device upgrade != same buttons (rs15-100 vs URC6131)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dinomight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Same Device upgrade != same buttons (rs15-100 vs URC6131) Reply with quote

Ok, so i have two remotes a rs 15-100 and a 6131 both using extenders. I've created my own device upgrade that will be used in conjuction with lirc and XBMC. I've got it working with the 15-100 and learned all of the buttons successfully. Now that i got that working i thought i'd use the same device upgrade on the 6131. I adjusted the button mapping since the 6131 and the 15-100 have a different set of buttons, but the codes coming out of the 6131 are different that the code coming out of the 15-100.
For example the up keys should send the same signal but on the 6131 it is sending the signal for the exit key. I can't figure out why this is happening. anyone have a clue. attached are the rm files and the ir files along with the lirc config. to see what the 6131 and 15-100 are sending respectfully you can look at the lirc config file. i did a second set of learning using the 6131 and the 15-100. you will see for example that up and exit match.
I'm about to the point of creating another custom device for the 6131 that doesn't overlap with the 15-100 codes but i'd rather not do this since each remote is controlling the same device.

IR/RM files for 15-100:
http://dylan.thurstonco.com/15-100.ir
http://dylan.thurstonco.com/15-100.rmdu

IR/RM files for 6131:
http://dylan.thurstonco.com/6131.ir
http://dylan.thurstonco.com/6131.rmdu

Lirc Config:
http://dylan.thurstonco.com/xbmc.conf
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IR file for the 15-100 doesn't have this VCR 1060 Emerson Combo upgrade installed. I'm not sure which device you had learned with the lirc, but the first thing you need to do is get the same upgrade in both remotes.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
dinomight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1060 is just the number i choose when creating the device upgrade in RM. If i go into IR and open the 15-100 the device upgrade is in there at the bottom list in the devices tab. Is that not what you are seeing? i know that i choose this protocol because i was able to get consistant readings(in lirc learning) using device code 0000 (which is built into the 15-100. This is the regular emmerson protocol. It didn't have enough buttons so i created the combo upgrade in rm. What do you mean that the device 1060 isn't in the 15-100? Oops i was just looking at the ir file i posted. (it was the wrong file.) I posted the correct ir file will you download the ir file again and look at it.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the problem. You have both upgrades set up using the 3 device emerson protocol, but that is not the same emerson protocol that is built into the 15-100, so you were told to add the required protocol upgrade, but you didn't. This causes all of the functions will be "off" in the 15-100 because the built in PID 0065 takes 4 bytes of fixed data, but the PID 0065 you used only takes 3 bytes of fixed data.

If you add the suggested protocol, things should work okay BUT if any of the other devices use the Emerson Protocol they will mis-function. If it were me, I'd rebuild the 15-100 rdmu to use the correct protocol, since this will use less upgrade area and it won't cause problems with built in emerson devices. This should be as easy as just picking the Emerson 4 device protocol from the dropdown on the 15-100's rdmu.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.

Last edited by vickyg2003 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
dinomight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Wow Reply with quote

I can't believe i missed that ... it's funny how you can look at something over and over again and miss something every time. That did the job. Everything is working great. Thanks for your help.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Wow Reply with quote

dinomight wrote:
I can't believe i missed that ... it's funny how you can look at something over and over again and miss something every time. That did the job. Everything is working great. Thanks for your help.

Yes, tell me about it! That's why we like to see IR's and RDMU's. The way you posted your links made diagnosis quite easy, (except when you posted the wrong IR Laughing ) Most of the time its user error, but we have a boatload of RDF errors that could have caused this problem too.

Having your files to look at made it really easy to eliminate the usual suspects.

The ususal suspects for key scrambling problems:

1. User error- wrong remote chosen when building upgrade in KM or RM.

2. Procedural error (many remotes have a bit that specifies an alternate keyboard and doing a file->new, can cause this to be set to alternate causing keys to fail. This could remain hidden for years, because while most RDF's have been fixed to handle the problem with a File->New, they don't correct the problem if you did it with a prior version of the RDF.

3. RDF error, wrong variant listed in the RDF's causing RemoteMaster to build an upgrade that doesn't have the right number of parameters. This is not something the average user is able to detect. There are a boatload of RDF's with these errors, Wagonmaster was working on an update of the RDF's to fix many of these issues, but he's been MIA for a while.

4. User chose a different protocol variant than the one built in, and failed to copy the required protocol.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: