JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New to Atlas DVR/PVR 5 - CBL light blinks after pressing vol

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paolo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: New to Atlas DVR/PVR 5 - CBL light blinks after pressing vol Reply with quote

Hello Everybody,

New member here. I just picked up Rogers Digital Personal TV. My new box came with a new Atlas DVR/PVR 5-Device remote control. I'm fairly new to this remote, I'm used to the 3 or 4 button ones but lets move on to the next question. I'm assuming this is a JP remote.. since it has the little system board connector pinouts under the battery compartment, neat.

Now my remotes correctly programmed, I did NOT change any settings, just entered the MFR codes. The thing that boggles my mind, is it normal for my remote to funciton this way when ever using the "VOLUME +/-" and "MUTE" keys? When ever I raise or lower the volume, the TV light will illumiate when the command is being sent to the TV to adjust the volume, but the minute I LET GO of the key, the CABLE light illumiates immediately. When this happens, if I have the bottom bar guide displaying on the screen, it closes as if the Exit command was sent to the TV. This does NOT seem normal, but if it is, heck, I'm out of the loop.

I just want to know, well I tried with the macros and was successfull of re-mapping the volume key to just raise/lower the volume and NOT activate the cable when I let go of the button. The only problem I faced was holding the volume button down to increase it more than one notch, was impossible with the macro mode.

I have tried a bunch of hidden codes given to me from DigitalHomeCanada.com as well as the friendly Shaw Employee who you can ask any question to and will help you.

Signed,

Frustrated JP-1 n00b.
Rogers 4250 HD Box
speaker.guy
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The device button(s) do correctly flash whenever you transmit a command...
This is normal. I think it explains that behavior in the manual.
Paolo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not normal. When i want to quickly tap the volume button 3 times to increment it only 3 notches, it does not respond quickly, because its too busy switching from tv mode to cable mode.. the oem remote does not do this function, so right there, it only recognized one of my 3 keystrokes sent to the tv.. this is a problem, and no one knows the solution to this
Rogers 4250 HD Box
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: New to Atlas DVR/PVR 5 - CBL light blinks after pressing Reply with quote

Paolo wrote:
I just picked up Rogers Digital Personal TV. My new box came with a new Atlas DVR/PVR 5-Device remote control.
The thing that boggles my mind, is it normal for my remote to funciton this way when ever using the "VOLUME +/-" and "MUTE" keys? When ever I raise or lower the volume, the TV light will illumiate when the command is being sent to the TV to adjust the volume, but the minute I LET GO of the key, the CABLE light illumiates immediately. When this happens, if I have the bottom bar guide displaying on the screen, it closes as if the Exit command was sent to the TV. This does NOT seem normal,
Are you CERTAIN that an "EXIT" command is being sent to your TV upon release of the "Vol+/-" command? I think the remote is designed to return it's OEM mode (CABLE) after executing punched-through commands such as the Vol commands. Most OEM satellite and Cable remotes do this. Remeber, despite the fact that this remote is manufactured by UEIC and is JP1 capable, it is still a Cable box OEM remote, and its internal programming is as designed for the Cable company.
Paolo wrote:

I just want to know, well I tried with the macros and was successfull of re-mapping the volume key to just raise/lower the volume and NOT activate the cable when I let go of the button. The only problem I faced was holding the volume button down to increase it more than one notch, was impossible with the macro mode.
Paolo wrote:
Its not normal.
I think it IS normal. It may not be what you would PREFER, but it's pretty normal.
Paolo wrote:
When i want to quickly tap the volume button 3 times to increment it only 3 notches, it does not respond quickly, because its too busy switching from tv mode to cable mode.. the oem remote does not do this function, so right there, it only recognized one of my 3 keystrokes sent to the tv.. this is a problem, and no one knows the solution to this
I think if you want to use the Atlas 5 for your TV's volume control, and you want to "tap" a few increments, you will have to learn to wait for the Atlas to finish its sequence in between "taps". If you get a JP1 cable, perhaps the Extender can provide you more control, but I'm unfamiliar with that extender, so I don't know.

Also, just a gentle piece of advice. Flooding the forums with the same question in 5 or 6 places does not usually garner faster response. It is perceived as impatience and rudeness by some. You might want to wait for a reasonable turnaround time (like a day or two) before you determine that "no one knows the solution".

Just my opinion.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Paolo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes its an exit command, on my downstairs remote, which controlls the upstairs tv, when i press the volume, it increments normally, and my on screen menus do not go away
wit the upstairs (atlas) remote, as soon as the cable light turns, it acts like its sending a "exit comnand" and the menus disappear, i have to put my hand over the ir sensor to prevent this. Not good when i have 10 people over on a evening with food and drinks. Any way I can make the Atlas volume key mimic that of the oem? ie" make it function the exact same waY? macro? keymap?

p.s. sprry bout asking 2many questions
Rogers 4250 HD Box
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macro or KeyMove is unlikely (imho) to get the button to behave differently. Have you read about the Atlas Extender? It may give you the control you seek. Take a look in the file section>extenders. There is an extender for the Atlas. I don't know what it does, but it likely has a readme that will tell you.
[Edit: a brief look at the readme seems to indicate that the extender completely overrides the remote's programming, so that particular "feature" of the Atlas remote that you dislike seems likely to be overridden if you use the extender]

As for extenders in general, there is a sticky post in the Extenders forum that attempts to explain what an extender is/does.

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
kupakai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Atlas 5 DVR remote and I don't think CBL device key blinking after the volume control is normal, unless the cable company programmed something in. If you haven't done too much programming, did you try 980 reset? I don't know if that will help, but I don't think you'd want to do a full reset with the 981 yet, until you get your JP1 cable, since it will erase any protocols and macros that the cable company programmed into the remote.

Also, which version of the Atlas remote do you have? Look inside the battery compartment, and there should be a sticker with numbers like "URC-xxxx". What does it say? Also what is written near the 6 pin header, JP1, JP1.2, or JP1.3? If it is a URC-1055, it will be a JP1.2 remote and the extender mentioned above will not work with it.

The best thing would be when you get the JP1 cable (if you have a JP1.2 or JP1.3 remote, make sure you get JP1.2 cable), you can download the remote's memory to save, and to upload here for someone to look at, and if necessary, to do a full 981 reset and upload any macro or protocol back in.
Paolo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'm getting a jp1 cable, merely because this should be an "in warranty" issue, and I do not want to much arround with the remote when its covered by rogers warranty, otherwise i might void it and then it will be non-returnable. Since its in warranty, I just want to "soft" program it back properly.

The remote does infact send the "C" command to my cable box every time the volume is adjusted, not the exit command like I stated earlier, my appologies.. People on DHC and HTDVoice say its NOT normal to experience this. remote's a jp 1.3 m1055fr if that means anyting.

any way to fix this with just programming the macro or keymap?
Rogers 4250 HD Box
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paolo wrote:
I don't think I'm getting a jp1 cable, merely because this should be an "in warranty" issue, and I do not want to much arround with the remote when its covered by rogers warranty, otherwise i might void it and then it will be non-returnable. Since its in warranty, I just want to "soft" program it back properly.

Using a JP1 cable does not void any warranty that you might have, after all, how would they know anyway. But what it will do is give you the opportunity to re-program the remote to do anything that you want.
Paolo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I just read the rogers "warranty terms" and they can at their discression void my warranty if any modificaiton is done to their equiptment, but not that they are smart enough to know if a remote was jp1 re-programmed, highly unlikely, unless the rogers employee is a membber of this forms.

On that note, the remote does infact send a Exit command immediately after the volume key is pressed, but I need it gone, can this be programmed/fixed by learning codes or macros, or does a jp1 programming cable and an ir extender a MUST?? p.s. i have access to as many rogers remotes as needed and can get a hold of 2k chips if the worst case senario
Rogers 4250 HD Box
jimdunn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Paolo

Paolo wrote:
p.s. i have access to as many rogers remotes as needed

How do you have this access ?

Paolo wrote:
and can get a hold of 2k chips if the worst case senario

Do you mean 2k remotes, or actual chips?
If chips, how would you fit these without voiding your warranty - which you are concerned about ?

Regardless, I don't see how additional EEPROM space could help with this problem.

I'm really not trying to be rude here - I just found your post somewhat confusing in the light of your earlier posts.

Why can you not just get hold of a cable, download the current contents of your remote, and

[a] post it for people here to examine
[b] use it to restore your remote to the exact condition it is, after trying reset options etc...
(your supplier would have absolutely no way of knowing you ever did this)

As I said, I'm not trying to be rude - I'm just getting a little confused trying to follow this thread - so apologies if I've misunderstood something.

Jim

Last edited by jimdunn on Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
jimdunn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paolo wrote:
yes its an exit command, on my downstairs remote, which controlls the upstairs tv, when i press the volume, it increments normally, and my on screen menus do not go away
wit the upstairs (atlas) remote, as soon as the cable light turns, it acts like its sending a "exit comnand" and the menus disappear, i have to put my hand over the ir sensor to prevent this.

Possibly there is already a macro programmed to the volume keys ? (by the supplier)
Because this key seems to send more than one command.

Instead of replacing the macro with your own, you could try just deleting the preprogrammed one:
Code:
SETUP*-995-(vol key) - SETUP*

where SETUP* means "press and hold SETUP until the device key blinks twice"

and setting VPT

Code:
On this remote control, Global Volume Lock is set to TV, so
you can control TV volume while in the AUX, DVD, TV or
CBL mode. If desired, you can still perform Individual
Volume Unlock on a selected device to set its volume control
for independent operation.
NOTE: The audio mode’s volume controls are active regardless of
Volume Lock settings. However, if you lock the volume controls to
the AUD mode, you will have control of the audio device’s volume
in all other modes (i.e., AUX, DVD, TV, and CBL).
To Unlock Volume Control For A Single Device
(Individual Volume Unlock):
1. Assuming Global Volume Lock is active, select
a mode on the remote control that you want to
unlock (e.g.,CBL) and press it once.Next,
press and hold SETUP until the device key
blinks twice, then release SETUP.
2. Enter 9 - 9 - 3.The last-selected device key
will blink twice.
3. Press VOL- once.The last-selected device key
will blink four times.
4. Repeat steps 1 through 3 (of this section) for
each device you want volume to be unlocked.
5. Now, after you select a device that has volume
unlocked (e.g., CBL), pressing VOL+, VOL-, or
MUTE,will control the device’s volume only in
its own mode.

or using keymoves.

This might give you the desired "repeat" behaviour which you failed to get from a macro.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have an Atlas 5-device PVR-DVR (JP 1) remote and have gone through programming it (in fact, I had 2 from different cable companies, but have since gotten rid of one)

I can confirm that the "CBL" button flashing after presses of the "VOL" keys IS, IN FACT, NORMAL. Both of these remotes did this, so it is apparently a feature programmed in by UIC for the cable providers. (In MY case, no apparent SIGNAL was sent, but the "CBL" button flashed)

I can also confirm that once you overwrite the EEPROM with an IR.exe image (it need not be an extender), this behaviour stops. It is NOT restored by either a 980 or 981 reset. I do NOT know if there is a way, and if so, HOW, to disable it from the keypad, so my advice to you paolo is to get or build a JP1 cable and program the remote precisely the way you want.

P.S. My "VOL" keys work just fine.

Amazon Firestick
Paolo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Capn Trips

From the help of another member, I have come to the conclusion that all of the Atlas 1055 remotes from Roger's, when you press volume +/- or Mute, a secondary command is actually sent to the cable STB. I can not 100% confirm but its the square B button's command is sent when ever a volume button is pressed.

why is this happening? does other carriers in the USA or Canada have this on their remotes? a reset does not remove this, can the carriers hard code this in their remote? i have managed to use Advanced Device commands (EFC) to fix this, but it goes away when a reset is done Sad
Rogers 4250 HD Box
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: