JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SOLVED: Hello frm Canada. Atlas 1055 JP1.3 Question (RE:EFC)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paolo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: SOLVED: Hello frm Canada. Atlas 1055 JP1.3 Question (RE:EFC) Reply with quote

Hello from Canada.

My name is Paolo. Although I created my account on here, I am still relatively new to the world of JP1 remotes, and JP1 Cables.

I have recently discovered my remote has JP1.3 etched on the back printed circuit board underneath the battery compartment. It's branded by Rogers Cable.

I was wondering when I programmed my remote to control my TV, when I increment the volume, the TV light illumiates but when I let go of the volume key, the CBL light illuminates right after. I have done some studying, and come to the conclusion that its sending a command. The command i've determined is the Red circular C button right after due to me testing it extensively with another remote. you know how theres a Yellow Triangle with A, a Blue Square with B, and Red Circle with C. Well its sending the C button after I press volume.

What is this called? does it just affect the Roger's remote? or are other CableCo's Atlas remotes affected by this such as Cogeco, Shaw, and Mountain Cable as well? I do not live in their territory so I can not comment or experiment..

Some people have claimd its a Volume global Lock which causes that, but its not. Will a JP1 Cable fix it? someone mentioned re-programming the remote with a new EEPROM? why should I do this, and what if I manage to screw it up?

The only thing I find annoying is when I am browsing one of the menus such as On Demand, or one of the IPG menus and I try to increase or decrease the volume, it sends a C command and I did not want to press the C button.

Should I live with it?
Rogers 4250 HD Box

Last edited by Paolo on Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this: Hold setup for 2 blinks, 9 9 5, Vol+, Vol+, hold setup for 2 blinks. Repeat above using Vol- key. That will clear any macros on those keys, assuming that's the problem.
Paolo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope did nothing.
Rogers 4250 HD Box
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this: Hold setup for 2 blinks, 9 9 4, TV, Vol+, CBL, Vol+ (2 blinks for success). Repeat above with Vol- and Mute. That will copy the TV vol keys to CBL mode. If that doesn't work, it's not a programming issue.

Is it possible the C key is physically making contact when you release Vol? Maybe if you pop the remote open and clean the keypad and contacts and make sure any dust or other particles are gone, it will solve your problem. I'm not sure about this particular remote, but if you remove all the screws you can find and pry it apart by sliding a credit card around the edge, you should be able to get it open without damage.

What you're seeing definitely isn't normal. There's no reason to live with it. I'd ask the cable company for a replacement remote first. If you can't do that for some reason, try my cleaning suggestion above. If all else fails, just about any JP1 remote, including another Atlas from ebay, should work. What model cable box do you have? Do you know what setup code it's using? You can follow THESE instructions to blink back your code.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, iirc, some of my Atlases did the same thing when I first got them, to wit: After pressing a button that was in other than CBL mode, (like Vol+) the AUX device button would light up as the signal was sent, and then the CBL device button would briefly flash upon release. I never associated that brief flash of CBL as an actual IR command being sent, but as the remote's way of "returning" to CBL mode, which it was in. I have since reprogrammed every Atlas I have had with IR and a cable, and that behaviour is gone - I suspect my multiple 981 resets made it go away.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Paolo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mdavej,

I own 4 of these remotes, since I have 4 STB's as well. FTW, these are pretty common remotes arround my neck of the woods, as there is close to a million customers in the greater metropolitan area with them, I am very supprised no one else is having this issue or atleast talking about it? but it affects all my remotes so i doubt its a dirty contact, my set top boxes are Scientific Atlantic (Cisco) Explorer 4250HD, 3200, and DTV 940.

I have the remote programmed in a way where when its in CBL mode, it changes the TV mode's volume, but even when I turn off the global volume lock, this still happens thus its probaly not a marco.

Capn Trips, you said your multiple 981 resets made it go away? or did the re-programming of the EEPROM with the JP1.3 cable make it go away? because if its just a matter of multiple 981 resets, i can do that and wont need to buy the cable
Rogers 4250 HD Box
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to change my answer then. Since you have 4 of these that behave identically, I'd say it's highly unlikely for it to be sending C when you release the Vol button. I've had remotes behave exactly like you're saying, where it returns to the original device mode, flashing the CBL button for example, after releasing the vol key. That's normal. But it never sends a command.

To make sure it's really sending a command you can look at the IR LED with a digital camera and see if it continues to flash after you release the vol button.

If you are absolutely certain it's sending a command, then there must be a macro on the CBL button itself which a 981 reset will clear out. But it also clears out any upgrades your cable company may have loaded. That's why you need to know your setup code so we can confirm whether it's a built-in code or not.
Paolo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even if i leave it in TV mode, and turn off global volume lock, it still behaves this way, and I know its sending a command to the TV because when i go to the general settings menu -> purchase:pin ->change -> pin entry, but when i am at that screen and raise or lower the volume, it for some reason exits the screen. Update: it could be sending the B button, idunno for sure, but its sending something and that example i gave you is annoying.
Rogers 4250 HD Box
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that an explanation for the behavior you're seeing is that the remote sends two IR signals in succession, but it is also possible that the remote is only sending one signal, and the TV is responding inappropriately to that signal. It is really easy to aim a cell phone or other digital camera at the remote, push the Vol button, and see in the camera viewfinder if there are two flashes or one. Please check with a camera.
Paolo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I tried this, and what do you know, the digital camera sees a light shining from those little ir thingys on the top. I had no idea this was possible, did not know how it works, but think its really cool and it gave me an idea to find out if remotes are working in the future.

Thanks guys., found something new. oh and for the questoin, when the cbl light blinks, there is light coming from the ir thingys so yes it does 2 ir signals when i change the volume, but only one ir thingy when i change the channel.
Rogers 4250 HD Box
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks for the reply. So let's try sending Volume controls manually. I'll assum that the TV is a LG, and it uses the standard LG signals for Volume.

Then you should be able to send Vol+ by first making sure you are in the TV device mode, then pressing setup briefly, then entering 00183. When you enter the 5th digit, the remote will send an IR signal. I hope it only sends Vol+. Vol- is similar but enter 00187 instead.

If these manual entries give the desired result, follow the instructions for Assign Advanced Code 994 - EFC in this link to put 00183 on Vol+ and 00187 on Vol-.

Let us know what happens. I don't think we've seen this behavior before.
Paolo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG, THANKS, what ever it is you figured it out for me and my remote is working 100% how it should now.

those EFC commands worked. no more CBL light after i press vol up/down.

Now I have 3 other remotes to figure out what the EFC volume command is for..

Zenith (Hotel TV)
GE

time to do some digging arround.
Rogers 4250 HD Box
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: