JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Device Lookup Tool
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great solution. I like it.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is almost OT, but I feel like I want to mention something in case secure people have trouble using the LookupTool to its full, glorious, extent and don't even know about it since no errors appear in the browser telling that somethings are missing.

If you have a firewall that blocks things, if you have a browser that blocks things, this may apply, which is the reason I post this, also because initially all I could get is the stuff in the right side, but no links and no search dialog for type or remote or codes or devices.

So here we go:
In the firewall or some antivirus using proxy, add to the trusted exceptions list http://www.getzweb.net/jp1/ and permit referers and javascript.

If you use IE, such as the current IE8, AND if you block javascrips/vb scripts/activeX in the internet zone (as one should IMO), add http://www.getzweb.net/jp1/ to the trusted zone where you permit javascript.

If you use Opera (perhaps Firefox similar), set site properties for http://www.getzweb.net/jp1/ to permit javascript AND under Network, set it as Internet Explorer since it appears the Opera user agent won't work otherwise. On the scripting window I have none of the checkmarks set, just javasript is on. That does display the searching dialog, when you, for instance, click Brand search.

Hope this isn't a totally useless post Smile
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the technical help Elizabeth. I didn't realize the javascript was a problem for some people.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just tried looking up something for the URC-7940 (my JP1.3 remote) on your Lookup Tool. It isn't there. Could you add it, please? It's a URC-7950 with one of the device keys blanked out (for some weird reason known only to UEI, I presume). Only the case differs, the hardware and software inside are identical, but it would be nice to have it there for those who don't know they could use the URC-7950 entry.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, I've added the remote per your suggestion.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a suggestion which may be more trouble than the benefit, so there's no need to take it very seriously.

When looking for a protocol, I think it would be handy if the far right hand column (remotes) were to list the number of remotes that have a particular protocol, rather than just "Rem". For example, searching on NEC 2 or 4 Dev Combo yields 80+ setup codes. I was recently looking for protocols with device 8 (to be used with EFC style keymoves, overwriting the built-in EFCs), and there are several .

In recommending a setup code where there are mutiple candidates, I prefer to suggest a setup code which covers the widest range of remotes, or even to suggest several candidates. We can find how many remotes support a setup code now by individually clicking on "rem". But some setup codes only exist in one remote while a few popular ones are in nearly all listed remotes. Finding the popular setup codes would be easier if the number of remotes that support it were listed.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG, I made the change you requested. This turned out to be a little more difficult than I had anticipated, as initial tries made the website sluggish. I also made a similar change to the ALT program, so you won't waste your time clicking on an ALT link when there are no ALT's.

If you could beat on this, trying all the options to make sure I haven't broken anything, I'd appreciate it.

3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number of remotes and alternates seems to be working. Thanks!

However, take a look at for example Audio 1254. There appears to be two entries for each kind of fixed data. I think that is happening generally.

Also, on Audio 1254 do you think that there are actual differences among no fixed data, one zero byte, or two zero bytes? Devices.xls shows two varieties: no fixed data and two bytes.

EDIT: You seem to be working pretty fast! The duplicate entries are gone.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
The number of remotes and alternates seems to be working. Thanks!

However, take a look at for example Audio 1254. There appears to be two entries for each kind of fixed data. I think that is happening generally.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that. I think its fixed.

Quote:

Also, on Audio 1254 do you think that there are actual differences among no fixed data, one zero byte, or two zero bytes? Devices.xls shows two varieties: no fixed data and two bytes.

If don't know much about this subject. You'd need an expert like Mike or Rob to give you a definitive answer.

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3fg I didn't see your edit, until this morning. Thanks for the testing. Timely testing makes it so much easier! As time goes by its harder to figure out how fix something.

Thanks

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky,

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but when I do a protocol search, there's a long string beside protocol in the results header that looks like part of a sql query string. I'm thinking you probably intended to just display the protocol that was chosen from the drop-down.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, that's not a bug, its a debug statement. I had a heck of a time with mySQL not returning what I'd get in other SQL languages. But you are right I should print out the selection from the dropdown. I'll try to get a fix out for that soon.

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I added the protocol to the display yesterday, when I added the new one for all remote. Hope this makes things a little clearer.

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. I find myself using your lookup tool quite often. It's fantastic. Thanks again for all your hard work.

As if you haven't done enough already, I was thinking it would be nice to roll the remote chart details into your database as well. Then we'd have everything in one spot. You've already got a lot of it (name, signature, processor). I think if we added the biggies, like cable, pins and extender, that would be good enough. If you think it's a good idea, or there's anything you'd like me to do to format the data for you, let me know by PM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: