JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Wow somewhat overwhelming....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kurto2021

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Wow somewhat overwhelming.... Reply with quote

I have started to read through all the info here and am pretty overwhelmed...I know my current setup is not working as perfectly as I would like so I am hoping I can remedy all of my issues. Here is my current setup.

Samsung 42" Plasma Tv
Dish Network VIP-622
WDTV
Insignia BluRay
Xbox 360
Samsung HT-X40
Psyclone HDMI AV Switch

My remote is a URC-9910RF (not sure if the RF is there or not off top of my head)

I just bought a Logitech 510 and while it is easy to program it only let me control 5 items....which isn't working for me. I would assume the 9910 could probably handle it all but I can't get it to work with the Psyclone using the learning option. I have also maxed out all the learning so now I need to figure out a plan.

If I purchase the JP1.2/1.3 cable from DIYgadget will I be able to get everything I want from the URC or should I take back the logitech and get one that conrols more devices.
tennessee titan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't 9910 JP1?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure is. Kurto, you're about to get the wrong cable. You need JP1, not 1.2 or 1.3. Once you have the cable, you can certainly do everything you want. You could probably do everything without a cable if all your learned devices are in the file section here. Just make wav upgrade files with RM/KM and IR and load them via your PC speakers and the 9910's built-in modem.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on my (limited) experience and reading this forum for a while now, I strongly recommend that you buy your cable from Tommy Tyler. You can see his stuff in the Market Place forum. His hardware is made to high quality, and he is responsive to whatever difficulties may arise. Do note the warnings about the usability of the JP1 (but not the JP1.2/3) USB cable with Vista. However, as mdavej points out, it may not be necessary to to purchase a cable.

I'm guessing that the Psyclone HDMI switch is the PSC47 model. Here is a link to Pronto Hex codes for that: http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/files/rcfiles.cgi?area=prontong&db=devices&br=psyclone&dv=videoswitch&kw=&st=&ar=&dt=&so=&pg=1 The notes with the files state that this code was difficult for the Pronto to learn.

Here are some of the codes:
4>>>>>>900A 006D 0000 0001 00FF 807F
2>>>>>>900A 006D 0000 0001 00FF 817E
Src+>>> 900A 006D 0000 0001 00FF 827D
Gain +>> 900A 006D 0000 0001 00FF 837C
3>>>>>>900A 006D 0000 0001 00FF 847B
1>>>>>>900A 006D 0000 0001 00FF 857A
Src ->>>>900A 006D 0000 0001 00FF 8679
Gain ->>>900A 006D 0000 0001 00FF 8778
Power>>>900A 006D 0000 0001 00FF 8B74

I believe this translates as a normal NEC1 protocol with device 0, subdevice 255. OBCs in hex notation are in bold (at least I think that's the position of the OBCs).

Apparently the 9910 doesn't have a built-in code which supports this protocol/device arrangement, so I suppose that an upgrade would need to be built.

Please verify the model number of your switch. Also, I infer from your post that all other components in your setup can already be controlled with the 9910. Is that true, and are any of the components using learned signals? If they are, we may be able to incorporate the learned signals into the upgrade, so that no learning memory would be used.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the information here is overwehlming. Its a huge topic. As you have already seen, there are multiple types of cables. Your old 9910 is a JP1 remote, meaning it has an EEPROM and needs an EEPROM compatible cable. The newer remotes have a FLASH chip and use a different type of cable.

The cables are more expensive than the remotes, so you'll want to decide whether you want to invest in the old technology or upgrade to the newer remotes and technology. You have one of the more popular JP1 remotes. If the modem is still working you could update the remote via WAV file, and get your feet wet in the JP1 world before you make the investment. The process is much easier when you have a cable and can see what is happening in the remote, but if you have a good imagination, it can be done via WAV.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a wav file based on the info that 3FG posted. See if you can add an upgrade for the Psyclone using this.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7079

Once loaded, the new setup code is VIDACC/2000. You will still need to manually assign that to a device button.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Wow somewhat overwhelming.... Reply with quote

Kurto2021 wrote:
when you say manually assign what do you mean? I am assuming I have to choose a particular such as AUX.....then use code 2000 for that? Then I could just learn the codes for the WDTV and have AUX control the WDTV and the Psyclone at the same time...I consider myself fairly technical but I am just struggling to understand all the lingo here.

What I mean is, simply loading the upgrade into the remote doesn't automatically program it to a device button. I mention it because it's a common false-assumption. What loading the upgrade does is basically add one more setup code to the remote's memory, just like all the setup codes listed in the printed manual. The next step would be to program the new setup code (ie, VIDACC/2000) to a device button, just like you would if you had found the setup code in the manual.

If you don't know how to use a WAV file, read this...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9278
Kurto2021

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that makes sense...I have done a download of a wav file in the past for this remote so I knew I had to punch in the codes....is there a place to go to look for wav files for particular devices?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, actually any files that you find in the
devices upgrade area can be made into a WAV file with the tools you find here. You'll need IR and RM or KM and the RDF and Images and the IRtoWAV tools that are .

As you said there is a lot of information here on the forums, its a lot to take in.

Ask questions if you get stuck.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurto2021 wrote:
yeah that makes sense...I have done a download of a wav file in the past for this remote so I knew I had to punch in the codes....is there a place to go to look for wav files for particular devices?

We have a few ready-made WAV files, but that's not the way to go because each time you load upgrades via a WAV file, you will overlay any upgrades that you had previously loaded. So what you want to do is build a new WAV file each time yourself, so that it has all the stuff that you might have previously added plus whatever new code you want to add.

But for now, just try the upgrade that I made for you to see if that gets you on your way. If it works, I'll load the KM file and post a link to it, along with the IR file, then you can use that as a basis for any future work that you might want to do.

Then, if you decide that you want to, you can get a JP1 cable later.
tennessee titan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it a significant data point to know what kind of computer/OS Kurto is using, as this will dictate his options for a cable. If his computer is older, uses xP, and has a parallel port, he can use the old simple parallel cable, which is cheap and works fine....
If he has a new Vista or 7 machine, he needs a new USB cable.
Kurto2021

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually I am on a mac....but no fears...I just need to install windows XP on my other machine and I am good...
Kurto2021

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUCCESSSSSSS!!!!!! The Psyclone is working

Rob you rule....although I probably just wiped out my 360 if what you said were true. I believe I called OFA in the past and they sent me a file that had the Xbox and whatever TV I had at the time. I guess my next step is to learn how to make my own wav files at this point in time
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear. OK, here's the KM file...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7082

Here's a KM file for your Xbox 360...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2492

I updated the WAV file to include VIDACC/1272, which I created using the upgrade file above.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7079

Here's the IR file that I used to create the WAV file...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7084
Kurto2021

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel bad about bugging you but what do you usually do if you can't find the KM file for a particular device? I am guessing that you learn then codes on the remote then connect the JP# cable and pull the data from the remote....this would then give you the information you need to create your own KM files? Am I getting this?

Also I would assume that with the JP1 cable it would give me more control on laying out certain buttons to do certain things. For example I could have 1 button always control the HDMI switch no matter what device was selected. I was thinking if I can figure this out I would some how map source up and source down to all devices then there would be no real reason to have a separate device setup for the Psyclone.

I am running on at this point I need to mess with the KM files and see if I can get a better understanding....just hope I am thinking correctly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: