JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Backlight transformers revisited

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Backlight transformers revisited Reply with quote

I know that RS 15-1994's were notorious for having delicate backlight transformers that would break at the slightest bump, rendering them permanently dark. The established preventive maintenance technique has been to open up your new 1994 and glue the $#!t out of the transformer to counteract its fragility. I have successfully done so and happily two of my three 1994's still shine brightly (after 2.5 years of use)

Question: as I transition to the now-cheap RS 15-2117's, do these have the same backlight transformer fragility problem? Is it worth my while to pop one of these open to slop some glue on the transformer, or are these more forgiving and not worth the trouble?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't there were ever that many problems with the 15-1994 really, the remote with the problems was the Producer 8. While we always suspected that it was the transformers that were malfunctioning, I have recently discovered that it's really the EL sheet itself.

Having said that, if you are so inclined, by all means get the glue gun out and make sure your 15-2117 will last a lifetime!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not seeking a fight Evil or Very Mad , but I vividly recall a series of exchanges on the old Yahoo group about 18 months ago (stumbled upon after my first 1994 went dark), and the issue was not EL sheets, but the actual transformers not being very securely mounted, and the flimsy wires holding them in place breaking whenever you bumped the darned thing Mad . In fact, there was a big scavenger hunt to locate a supplier for just the right kind of transformer to replace in these units Twisted Evil .

After taking my malfunctioning unit aprt, the transformer was found bouncing around the inside Shocked , so I took the other two, as ONE of the experts recommended, and gobbed a lot of glue around the remaining transformers, and they have since survived some nuclear drops inflicted upon them by the kids (and some dog chewing, too Wink .)

If nobody reports such problems with other models (2117 in particular), then I'd much rather not expend the time and effort (and risk of other damage by taking the remote apart, as I am NOT the most adept at these things) Embarassed - so I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You used the word "notorious", which in my book implies that there were alot of problems with broken transformers in the 15-1994, which I am simply stating is not the case (IMHO). That doesn't mean, of course, that there haven't been ANY problems.

The Producer 8s, on the other hand, certainly do qualify as "notorious". Almost all of the units currently being sold on ebay have broken backlights.

The experts, myself included, had always assumed it was the transformers that were at fault and that's why I tracked down a supplier for them. However, I recentlycdiscovered (and by recently, I mean within the last month or so) that the problems with the Producer 8s is in fact the EL sheet.

Now, back to your 15-2117. I have no reason to believe that the transformer is secured in any way different to how it was secured in the 15-1994, so if you consider it worth it to use glue on a 15-1994, I would determine that it is also worth doing to a 15-2117.

Hopefully I have clarified what I was trying to say.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be right - I may be crazy Shocked .

You say to-MAY-to, I say to-MAH-to Laughing .

As I wipe the cobwebs of that heady time (just learning about and implementing JP1) from my mind, I "recollectize" that the problem with 15-1994 transformers falling off was common enough, but not pervasive, and that it was only an apparent "batch" of 1994's that did not have the transformer adequately mounted and secured. In fact, as I delve further into the recesses of memory, I now realize that of my three 1994's, one sufferred the mortal injury I described above and remains dark to this day, a second was equally prone, but I packed the transformer with glue, and the third, upon opening and inspecting, had a quite sufficient supply of glue and required no assistance from me, so you may be right, that the problem was not "notorious" but it was sufficiently common that some were suggesting opening and inspecting all 1994's to see if they needed such a fix. Rolling Eyes

I guess I haven't been around long enough to have run across discussion of the problems with the EL sheets you describe.

Is there any other "hazard" with opening up a 2117? Like is it especially challenging to reassemble since it has the LCD window? Or is everything pretty well held in place by the pcb? (I've only ever opened up a 1994)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:

Actually **I** say to-MAH-to, I am British after all!

Capn Trips wrote:

I guess I haven't been around long enough to have run across discussion of the problems with the EL sheets you describe.

Here ya go then:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=741

Capn Trips wrote:
Is there any other "hazard" with opening up a 2117? Like is it especially challenging to reassemble since it has the LCD window? Or is everything pretty well held in place by the pcb? (I've only ever opened up a 1994)

You might want to read my page on the RCU810 first, but I don't recall anything unusual inside the 15-2116 when I opened mine up to solder in an RF puck.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/RCU810/

Last edited by The Robman on Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Capn Trips wrote:

Actually **I** say to-MAH-to, I am British after all!

A Limey in the Windy City?! Shocked So do you say chi-KAH-go or chi-KAY-go? Laughing

And is there any reason (other than a "fat finger" or "brain fart" problem?)you posted the same link TWICE in one mesage? Rolling Eyes

The Robman wrote:
Here ya go then:

You might want to read my page on the RCU810 first, but I don't recall anything unusual inside the 15-2116 when I opened mine up to solder in an RF puck.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
A Limey in the Windy City?! Shocked So do you say chi-KAH-go or chi-KAY-go? Laughing

I've been here long enough that I say most words Yankee-style, so I say sher-kar-go, but when my brother visits from the UK, he says chick-ar-go, plus instead of mish-i-gun (for Michigan) he says mitch-i-gun

Capn Trips wrote:
And is there any reason (other than a "fat finger" or "brain fart" problem?)you posted the same link TWICE in one mesage? Rolling Eyes

It was cut & paste letting me down, it was meant to be a link to my RCU810 page (which it is now)
dmcgee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the transformer problem with the 15-1994s. We had young children and hardwood floors. I think I went through two remotes before I learned and glued the #@it out of it. Someone eventually managed to find a source for the transformers. I bought four and (of course) never had another problem.

----Dan---
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmcgee wrote:
I remember the transformer problem with the 15-1994s. We had young children and hardwood floors. I think I went through two remotes before I learned and glued the #@it out of it. Someone eventually managed to find a source for the transformers. I bought four and (of course) never had another problem.

----Dan---

That "someone" was me, with the help of some of my contacts at UEI! Smile
Phriendly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2116 lights went out the other day. The inverter (transformer) is making a whining noise when I try and turn it on. I've replaced the batteries (the old ones tested good 1.3vdc). I've not opened it to see what is up yet.
My 1994 light works and the whine is higher frequency than the non-lightable 2116.

Joe.
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phriendly wrote:
My 2116 lights went out the other day. The inverter (transformer) is making a whining noise when I try and turn it on.

The whining noise is common in a couple other remotes (the RCU-810 springs to mind) when the remote is taken apart and not reassembled properly. If that's not the case, then the whine might mean that there isn't a connection beween the EL sheet and the inverter because of corrosion or some other physical problem.
streetskater

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just entering this discussion because I'm just now having some problems with the backlight and input pad on an old 1995 remote. I've got a bunch of 94's, 95's and 2117's and I'd have to say they've all been extremely robust--but time is taking a toll--I hate to loose even one of my old ones Smile

I've tired various things to improve the conductivity of my keypad--including the ole pencil cure and Marks alcolhol and erasure remedy. One thing I did find is that you can just use a multimeter with pinpoint probes and check two discrete areas on a contact point for continuity. That at least will tell you how bad the situation is.

Also if you have a camcorder here's an easy way to see if both your emitters are firing hard. Just point the remote at the camera and it'll show ya.

The 1995 in question above--at least the emitters work...

Edited to add:
Just read a post by zaphod7501 where transplant surgury was sugested. With the right glue and a steady hand--might work.

Yeah --that worked. The backlight is weak but at least the light contact is working again so it comes on. ...I guess if it were pitch dark that backlight would be useful even dim.
joebar32

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
If nobody reports such problems with other models (2117 in particular), then I'd much rather not expend the time and effort (and risk of other damage by taking the remote apart, as I am NOT the most adept at these things) Embarassed - so I just thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

I've got two 2116's. One took a particularly soft landing on a 2" thick foam wrestling mat and gave up the ghost entirely (no worky at all). I haven't popped it open to see if it's fixable yet.

The other has taken many a fall on oak flooring, rugs, couches, etc. and is still going strong.

This anecdotal evidence probably doesn't help, but here it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: