JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Excel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Excel Reply with quote

This may seem a little off topic, but it is JP1 related and since this group really makes use of excel I thought I'd ask.

My workbook keeps getting bigger and bigger, everytime I save it. I'm an excel newbie and I did some stupid things like formating columns and rows instead of cell ranges. So I cleared all on the unused areas in all my worksheets, and saved it and it got even bigger!

Any tips on how to shrink this monster?
dspille

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't by any chance have "track changes" enabled do you? (Tools-Track Changes).
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware trusting Excel with large (or mission-critical) spreadsheets as they sometimes leap in size and then fail to open - usually just before a tax return is due. Best copy the data (select range, [ctrl]-c, [Alt]-esv) to a new workbook.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky,
If the spreadsheet is KM, then I don't know, never saw it get bigger and bigger.

If it;s some other spreadsheet, it's likely you have some cells filled well out of range of what you think you're using, or your may have formatted entire rows or entire columns while adding something like borders or other cosmetic stuff. Also, remember, hitting spacebar over some text in a cell instead of the delete key (in order to delete data) fills the cell with spaces, so excel has to think it's really important data there Smile

That said, put the cursor on cell A1. Now click Ctrl-End. Is it at the end of your data, where you think it should be, or some other place. What is the cell address? and what is the cell address you think data ends.
I might help you more if you tell me. And UQ is right - backup, backup, backup, version numbers and all.

Excel space-use CAN be tamed. BTW which excel version are we talking about?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You don't by any chance have "track changes" enabled do you? (Tools-Track Changes).

No, but now I know about it. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
If the spreadsheet is KM, then I don't know, never saw it get bigger and bigger.

If it;s some other spreadsheet, it's likely you have some cells filled well out of range of what you think you're using, or your may have formatted entire rows or entire columns while adding something like borders or other cosmetic stuff. Also, remember, hitting spacebar over some text in a cell instead of the delete key (in order to delete data) fills the cell with spaces, so excel has to think it's really important data there

No, it was my a JP1 spreadsheet that I'm putting together. Apparently in my quest to get it right, I did something terribly wrong. It was gaining a half a meg with every save. I ended up rebuilding the entire sheet and the problem stopped.

I just hope I never have that happen again! I really dislike excel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: