JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

USB interface
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my remotes are 2k.

Unfortunately, I probably won't get to actually build my interface for a couple of days... Sad
Phriendly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. I will order one and check everything out here.

OBTW I've uploaded another version of the test program that a person can manualy select the EEPROM size. This should do till I can get the EEPROM size autodetect working.

Joe.
Phriendly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dabbith wrote:
Joe,
Would you be willing to post or send me the source for the sample program? If it's simple enough, I'll see if I can add it to IR, if it's more complex, creating a dll may be the way to go. There aren't any problems with calling a DLL from a DLL, it behaves just like calling a DLL from a normal program.

I didn't forget you, just got busy with the EEPROM autodetect aspect.
I'm using Borland C++ Builder 3.0, are you interested in the full project?.

I've been browsing the pascal source, and have some questions on what is being done there.

Joe
Dabbith

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the full project would be great. I can try to answer some questions about what's going on in IR, but some of it I don't quite understand and we'll have to ask Mark Pauker who wrote it.

I'll order up a kit from Delcom and should get it in a couple of days.

Thanks,

Dan

P.S. Forgot to mention, I do have an 8k remote, so if you have any autodetection code you'd like me to try, just tell me where it is.
Phriendly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dabbith wrote:
Yeah, the full project would be great. I can try to answer some questions about what's going on in IR, but some of it I don't quite understand and we'll have to ask Mark Pauker who wrote it.

That would be great. I'm learning myself, and I can get myself around pascal, but not well<G>.

Dabbith wrote:
P.S. Forgot to mention, I do have an 8k remote, so if you have any autodetection code you'd like me to try, just tell me where it is.

I just orderd my I2C test devices from mouser. I should get them early next week. I would like to test it in a real enviorment.

Do you know which remotes have the >2k eeprom?. I want to get some sample dumps so I can use it here when I test my devices.

Also do you know the Manufaturer & device type for your 8k eeprom?.

Thanks,
Joe.
Phriendly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,
I uploaded "USB Working Src 0.03A.zip" to the JP1->Files->Interface Designs folder.

the location I have it on my system is:
c:\builder\USB Working\

I just found some interesting cross directory file links. I thing I removed them. But builder uses this in its "BPR" project file.

Joe.
Dabbith

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phriendly wrote:

Do you know which remotes have the >2k eeprom?. I want to get some sample dumps so I can use it here when I test my devices.

As far as I know, there aren't any remotes available with >2k eeprom. There are remotes with only 1k, there's even one with only 512 bytes (a cable remote).
You can look here to see what each remote has in it:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Miscellaneous/RemoteChart.htm

I added the eeprom to my URC-6012w bought at Walmart for $15. It comes without any eeprom at all.

Phriendly wrote:

Also do you know the Manufaturer & device type for your 8k eeprom?.

I ordered it a while ago. I don't think this particular eeprom is available anymore.

It's described as:
556-AT24C64N10SC2.7
SO-8 64K (8KX8) 2.7V
Atmel Serial EEPROMs

I think Rob has some 8k chips that he's been selling. I don't know who makes the ones he has.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Arnold wrote:
As far as I know, there aren't any remotes available with >2k eeprom. There are remotes with only 1k, there's even one with only 512 bytes (a cable remote).

Actually, the European Kameleon (URC-8060) ships with a 4k chip, and the RS Kameleon (15-2133) supports 4k chips (but ships with a 2k).

However, I think the preceding posts were referring to URC-6012s, etc that have had large chips added, and there are several of those floating around. Someone even commissioned me to modify a URC-8811 once with an 8k chip.
Phriendly

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Rob and Dan. I was looking for the manufaturer so I could order a variety of EEPROMS from mouser to make sure the USB would handle them. We are doing some funny things w/ the larger EEPROMS when we do an autodetect for size. Mark tells me that the setup has to be very precise for it to work.
Also I figured I could look in the JP1 Files for the data so I could simulate a Large EEPROM controller w/ just my EEPROM that I have hardwired to my USB.
Also I purchase a DIP EEPROM chip so I can use a socket. Sorry I can't use yours Rob<G>.

Joe.
Dabbith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Got my parts Reply with quote

I finally got my parts. Now I just need to hook them all up tonight and then start hacking away at the copy of IR I have.

Did you have any luck trying to autodetect the eeprom size?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall how they are detecting the size of 2k+ EEPROMs, but figuring out the size of smaller chips is easy.

If you download a 1k chip as a 2k chip, the data wraps around, so the second 1k is an exact copy of the first 1k. Therefore, an easy check for size is to see if the second half of the file is a copy of the first, if it is, halve the size and try again, etc.
Phriendly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,
I've been chatting w/ Mark Pauker on e-mail. I would suggest coodinating w/ him on IR. Mark is at this time going to not going to use the DLL approach, but use approach used in Delcoms USBPRGMNL.PDF. This is what is probobly used inside Delcoms DLL. I was unable to get it to link w/ the enumeration method of getting the GUID. I'm using those terms, but I'm far from having a good understanding on them.

I got my large EEPROM in yesturday, and I got my code working for it. I have some thoughts on autodetect which I'm going to be checking out. Mark is going to use his existing method on checking the data read from the EEPROMS to determine its size. We are still looking at if we can use his method of faking out the EEPROMS to set the internal address for both the small and large EEPROMS. I.E.:
start,WrtCmd,adr=0,stop
start,WrtCmd,adr=0,stop
start,WrtCmd,adr=0,stop.

In a paralell IR design this works. But Mark tells me it has to be precies. Now that I have my large EEPROM in I can try that here.

The main problem is the small EEPROM uses a 1 byte address to tell the EEPROM where to go, where the large EEPROM uses a 2 byte address. This 2 byte address would if written to a small EEPROM would overwrite data. Not a good thing.

Ohhh, Mark Pierson built the USB interface and is having some problems w/ my versions of the test program. 0.03A works for him, when 0.05A doesn't. I've taken the previous verions off the file section, so I will put 0.03A back.
I have a new version for testing. I an wanting to put some more diags for EEPROM information display before I uploadig. Otherwise is has more descriptive error display and a working user interface when an error, instead of the loop w/ you can't get out of w/o terminating the program in some way.

Joe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: