JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Where Can i Buy A JP1.2 cable (for the UK)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreamy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Where Can i Buy A JP1.2 cable (for the UK) Reply with quote

Hi

Is There anywere in the uk i can purchase a jp1.2

i have used a jp1 for a while now but are finding it very hard to purchase a 1.2

i have tried a few sellers listed without any replies so i assume they dont want to send overseas

any ideas

Thanks
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean a JP1.2 (or JP1.3) remote or a cable?

URC-7555, 7556, 7881 etc. from Argos, Amazon, Tescos Direct are JP1.2.
The newer Kameleons are (I think) JP1.2 or JP1.3.

Personally I went for the URC8820 from the US (the Robman was selling some) and you often see US eBayers willing to ship to UK now.
dreamy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A jp1.2/1.3 cable

its like getting gold dust i think i might just make one

its very strange that no one is selling or making them in the uk

i just made my jp1 its getting the time to do it

Thanks
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made and sent many to the UK. I charge only the Priority Mail International rate for shipping of $11.95 US.
If you are interested, you can email me at sales@interfaceplace.com or just post back here with what type of cable you are looking for.
Jim
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamy,

I ignored your PM purchase inquiry because you didn't follow very clear instructions given in my thread.
dreamy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I told you what i wanted a jp1.2,
I told you i was in the uk.

I asked you how much the total would be

what more do you want ?

i did not follow your instructions JOKE !!!

Its not very nice to deliberately ignore peoples pm's when this was a genuine enquiry

this tells me not to order from you

Cannot believe you admit ignoring peoples PM,s

HOW SAD

Thanks for nothing
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that Tommy doesn't need me to be his lawyer, but historically, his record here in this forum is impeccable. If he ignored your PM, I would bet dollars to donuts that it is because you did not provide all of the information for which he clearly asks (did you provide your exact and complete mailing address, or did you just say "in the UK"?). His marketplace listing is really clear on that point.

And when you come in with an attitude, it's not likely to get you much sympathy from other forum members.

I've never met him, but I can vouch for Tommy that if you provide the data he requests, he responds VERY quickly, and his cables are imho the best (and he is the most reliable source, quite frankly), and his "customer service" if you will (since he's not a retailer - this is just a hobby for him) is superb. If there's a problem with one of his cables, he will work with you tirelessly to get it resolved.

If you have eliminated Tommy from consideration as your source for a JP1 or 1.2/3 cable, I wish you good fortune finding one elsewhere. The only other supplier advertising on this site (DIYGadget) has a spotty record imho regarding construction quality and follow-up.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy is quirky, he does ignore emails from potential new customers if he feels that you've in any way broken one of the very strict rules that he lays out in his "for sale" thread. Is this how I'd do it, hell no, is he losing business acting like this, you bet he is, but it is what it is. He's in his 70s so I doubt that he's going to change now.

However, like the Capn said, the quality of his cables is by far the best, and just so you know, he designed all the cables in the JP1 world, so all the other vendors are using his designs.

Anyway, based on your post above, I can't tell which of Tommy's rules you didn't follow. Did you give him your address? Here's the list of info that he wants to see in a PM:

■ Your email address
■ Your postal mailing address as it should appear on the package
■ A list of exactly what you want to buy

For bullet 3, you should say that you want a "USB JP1.2/3 (Flash) Interface".

I know that in the modern world the customer is "always right" and it should be the seller that jumps through all the hoops, but that's not how it is with Tommy. So if you want the best stuff, you have to do the hoop jumping. Plus, he's the only vendor that sells USB cables for remotes like yours, as he decided not to publish this particular design. The other vendors only have serial cables for a JP1.2 remote.

Last edited by The Robman on Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
dreamy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

Thanks Everyone i was not wanting to cause a dispute over this

I appreciate he makes great cables thats why i wanted one

i was wiling to make payment instantly at his price but when you dont get a answer to a simple request makes you think

i only asked for a cost + shipping to uk which i need to make payment

then come on the board and see a post saying he is delibratly ignoring your PM what can you do ?

i made my JP1 over 3 years ago but now i am partially sighted so i have to buy ready built

Thanks everyone for your input

I need to keep looking

Take Care
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend that you try sending another PM to Tommy, then if you haven't heard back from him is, let's say, 48 hours, assume that it's just not going to work and move on to the next vendor.

I would recommend formatting the PM like this...

Quote:
■ Your email address
something@something.com
■ Your postal mailing address as it should appear on the package
12 High Street, Your Town, UK
■ A list of exactly what you want to buy
USB JP1.2/3 (Flash) Interface

Based on your post saying that you ignored my previous PM, if I don't hear back in 48 hours I will assume that this PM still doesn't meet your requirements and I will move on to another vendor.

Thanks for your time.

Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I am all the things Rob says I am. But I have rewritten that section of my thread at least three times to try and get across the idea that I hate PMs and will not reply to them with another PM. I use them only for initial contact, to avoid publishing my e-mail address to the whole world.

Here's dreamy's PM verbatim:
dreamy wrote:
Hi
I am after a jp1.2/1.3 interface with adaptor for URC-7555
can you give me a price for both plz
both usb and serial with adaptor
also cost to post to uk
thanks

The prices and shipping costs are all stated in my post, including overseas shipping, so this PM is completely unnecessary. The word "serial" makes it slightly confusing exactly what he wants. Note the absence of an e-mail or postal address, not even the courtesy of a name. Nevertheless, if he had at least included an e-mail address he would have received a reply. My intuition was that someone who would not read and follow simple instructions was not likely to be a good customer, and it looks like I was right.

On a more constructive note, if anyone has a suggestion of a better way to run my store other than an initial contact by PM, I'm all ears. I have a pretty good record of replying to the PMs within 12 hours of being notified of them, but that's still a somewhat crude system, and may inspire a lack of confidence in some prospective buyers.

Tommy
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my shop, I also had all the prices and shipping costs listed, but I also had my paypal email address listed, so to place an order people would only have to send me money, they didn't need to email me or send me a PM.

But even so, there are plenty of people out there that would still email or PM asking what something cost, or whether I still had it in stock, or what the shipping would be, or what my paypal address was, even though all were clearly stated. In most cases I would simply reply that all the info is in my 'for sale' thread and they would typically send me money via paypal within a few hours.

I think it's unfair to say that dreamy would have been a bad customer based on what has been posted in this thread, because I think most people who don't know you would react in much the same manner if they were to read a post from a vendor saying that he had deliberately ignored their message.

It's also worth keeping in mind that most people only read a fraction of the content of posts in forums, it's not unusual for them to skip to the end and ask a question that has already been answered.
greenough1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Including your paypal address is a good idea. When you get the note that someone's paid, it includes an address, so you can then just ship it out.

Best,
jeff
dreamy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

As i said i dont want to get involved in a dispute i only asked for a quote

I dont know if things are different over the pond but here in the uk you just ask a price and pay
you dont need to fill in forms to get a quote and get called a bad customer for asking a price i even said plz what did i do wrong

to come on the board saying " i am ignoring your pm's "

CRAZY CRAZY

well that over with i have decided to try a harmony remote from my local store

I will still keep my old faitfull jp1

i would just like to thank ROB again for helping me out with the dreambox remote

Thanks again
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dreamy wrote:
...I don't know if things are different over the pond but here in the UK you just ask a price and pay you don't need to fill in forms...

That's not strictly true, if you're buying something from, let's say, Amazon.com, you wouldn't email them asking how much is the item and how much is shipping, as the prices are clearly stated on the site, plus if you do decide to make a purchase you do indeed need to fill in a form or they won't know where to send the items.

Does Tommy's initial customer service suck? Sure. But look at it from his point of view, he doesn't want to spend a lot of time sending emails back and forth, and he doesn't want to be held responsible if you choose the wrong cable for your remote, so he put all of his prices and his shipping costs in his "for sale" thread and he states that it's up to you to do the research to find out which cable you need. He made the decision that if someone PMs him asking either "how much" or "which cable do I need", that person is likely to be a bad customer and he'd rather not deal with them. IMHO, I think he's set the bar too high, but I do understand his point.

I can usually get a sense that someone is a time waster by their first message and I also choose to sometimes ignore these folks. For example, I got an email yesterday that simply said "any idea what the code would be for a haier dvd-4800 dvd player? " with no mention of what remote the person was using, so I just ignored it. Experience tells me that the chances of such a person actually having an OFA remote are pretty slim, so I wouldn't know the code anyway. Of course, I could easily Google it and find the code, but they could do that too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Market Place All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: