JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to learn keys without a learning JP1 remote?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
urc6131

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: How to learn keys without a learning JP1 remote? Reply with quote

From time to time, I kick myself for my jumping on the URC-8910 when it was on sale on Amazon. I have 2 URC-6131 (both 2xAA and 2xAAA models) remotes but I have to rely on the good folks here to upload their remote maps.

Sometimes I bought a new device and the map is not yet available. Sometimes some keys are missing or wrong. Is there a better way for me to learn the keys without using a learning remote?

I have an old Palm Pilot which I had successfully use it to learn IR using PalmRemote. I also have a laptop with IR port. Is there a way that I can use them to help me find the Advanced code to use with my JP1 remote?
bob_m

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it is still available to buy but this post shows an IR widget to help learn codes w/o a learning remote.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9405
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By far, the easiest way is still using a learning remote. The radio shack 15-134 is only $10 at the moment and is learning with lots of memory. Get one of Tommy's JP1.3 cables for it and you're all set for a grand total of around $40. If you have a serial port, you could save another $10 or so getting the DIY JP1.3 cable instead. The only risk is that you might like the 134 better than the 6131 and would have to change your user name Laughing
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
By far, the easiest way is still using a learning remote.
I respectfully disagree... Wink

Tommy's IR Widget and Kevin's software coupled to DecodeIR.dll eliminates having to "learn until the remote is full, download, and repeat". You can just have KM or RM open, capture the signals with the Widget, and build your upgrade on the fly. In my limited experience using it, it seems to work just as reliably as a learning remote, but makes the process much quicker.

For anyone with a JP1 non-learning remote, the Widget at least offers an option to a second remote (though as a JP1 diehard, I subscribe to the notion that there's no such thing as too many remotes... unless they're non-JP1 Wink ).
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
Tommy's IR Widget and Kevin's software coupled to DecodeIR.dll eliminates having to "learn until the remote is full, download, and repeat".
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Tommy just pointed out to me that my over-exuburence apparently got the best of me. I failed to realize the the IR Scope software currently does not show any sub-device details. Therefore, it is not a viable replacement for a traditional IR learning remote... yet. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Kevin Timmerman
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does display the subcode. If DecodeIR.dll returns a subdevice code other than -1, the device column will show device & subdevice in the format "device.subdevice"

It also provides a literal capture of the entire signal rather than the compressed aproximation stored by a JP1 remote.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Timmerman wrote:
It does display the subcode.
That's good to know. All the signals I've been learning must have been simple device-only decodes. As a matter of fact, until Tommy questioned it, I hadn't even realized there was no permanent sub-device column.

I guess this means my original claim about using the Widget/IR Scope combo as a replacement for a learning remote is still valid. Wink
kupakai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use Digitrace Probe IR and CaptureIR to get the IR signals as well. The problem is that you need a parallel port for the IR probe. I use an old laptop with parallel port for JP1 programming, but I guess many new (and even not so new) computers don't have parallel ports.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: