JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RemoteMaster can't remember settings on Vista 64?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digital Larry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: RemoteMaster can't remember settings on Vista 64? Reply with quote

Each time I start RM, it asks me for the location of RDFs and images.

Didn't used to work that way when I had it running on Vista 32.

Any way around this?

Thanks,

DL
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Vista64 uses the same ugly kludge XP64 uses to split 32-bit registry settings from 64-bit registry settings. I've run into a problem with some other open source program that couldn't find its own registry settings because of that.

I don't have time to dig into RM's use of registry entries myself. With Java involved, I don't even have a good idea which part or all of RM is 32-bit or 64-bit in a 64-bit Windows system. So I can't even guess in which direction it is failing to find its own registry settings. I assume Greg doesn't have a 64-bit Windows system to test on.

If you go into regedit and find RM's registry settings and tell us where they are, maybe that will be enough to help figure out either how to set them in the right place or how to find them where they are.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the settings are stored in the file RemoteMaster.properties instead of the registry. If so, perhaps vista is blocking RM's (java's) ability to write to that file. As a workaround, try typing in the paths in that file manually, i.e., ImagePath=C\:\\Program Files\\RemoteMaster\\Images.
irs009

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use the installer or the zip file to install RM? Does it only happen when you click an RMDU file to open it? If yes to these, I had the same problem with the 1.86 installer exe. I switched to the zip installation, and that fixed it. ..Jack
Digital Larry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the installer. I'm guessing at least part of the problem is that 32 bit programs get installed into c:\Program files (x86).

I'll continue to poke around and see what if anything sorts itself out.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digital Larry wrote:
I'm guessing at least part of the problem is that 32 bit programs get installed into c:\Program files (x86).

I don't think so.

I don't recall exactly which registry entries matter to RM. It is correct that most settings are in the .properties file. But I still think the symptoms fit the 32/64 registry problem, especially if the installer is a different bit size from the Java executable.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
I don't recall exactly which registry entries matter to RM.
As far as I can tell there are no registry entries for RM (at least under XP that I can find).

This sounds like a Vista folder permission problem. IIRC by default you cannot write to any folder other than your user folder (even as an Admin). If RM is trying to create the properties file under Program Files it won't work.

If RM is being started from a shortcut, you can try modifying the "Start In:" entry to point somewhere in your user directory. Or I suppose RM can be installed there to begin with.
Digital Larry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the "Run as Administrator" option certainly helps the startup issues (lots of errors/warnings shown in the command prompt box) and remembering where the RDF and image folders are.

It still asked me for the RDF file associated with a specific RMDU, even though the exact one was in the list.

I haven't gone far enough to know yet whether there any functional issues.
Digital Larry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I'm giving up, the download page for RemoteMaster clearly states it's a 32-bit version and there's not much point to me gathering up all the ways it doesn't work on 64 bit.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried just the zip file instead of the exe, like irs009 suggested? Then install the java runtime for your platform. The whole idea behind the java app is to make it platform independent. The exe was built just to make things a litttle easier for windows users. But it's powered by the excelsior jet application which is only 32-bit. No 64-bit version yet exists. The java application, on the other hand, should work fine.
Digital Larry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like right-clicking on the RM icon and selecting "Run as Administrator" allows the program to work properly. I think it's a case of file write permissions... but don't take my word for it.

I haven't gone so far as to see if I can get IR.exe to work on V64, but it's no big deal as I have an XP system here more or less dedicated to IR stuff - I just try not to have to turn it on out of sheer laziness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: