JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RM feature request

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: RM feature request Reply with quote

Greg,

Well, I had to make 2 upgrades today for my Mill4 to fix junky native setup codes.

I made the first with KM, fixing TV_0054.

I finally decided to give RM a try, and compare ease of use, etc. I looked all over RM, and couldn't find something. With KM, I almost always print-out the button layout. I wanted to do this with my RM upgrade, but couldn't find a way to. I tried control-P, looked under "file", etc. but no cigar. Would it be hard to add a "print" button functionality to at least the buttons sheet? I didn't try, but maybe I could have copied and pasted the button sheet to a notepad file, then printed from there, but that seems a kludgy way around this. A formating similar to what KM does would be ideal.

Jim
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea how hard it is to do printing in Java, never even looked at it. Shouldn't be too bad, though. I'll see what it takes.

When you say you would like something similar to KM, do you mean KM's Layout sheet?
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not the "layout sheet", I mean the "Keymap sheet". The layout sheet is merely a guide to legal buttons for each device mode.

KM's printout shows the Upgrade file name in "large letters" in the title bar. Also in the title bar, it displays the remote, device type and assigned setup code, and the protocol.

Below that it lists all the buttons,functions, and the assigned efc and hex.

I'd be happy if it just listed the actual buttons with assigned functions/values, much less a complete list of all possible buttons; although I'd gladly "take" either, whichever is easiest. KM's is pretty handy in that all the really pertinent data is listed. It's pretty handy for me and the wife to refer to till we get used to buttons and what I made them do.

Jim
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
It's pretty handy for me and the wife to refer to till we get used to buttons and what I made them do.

It is a nice feature, isn't it? 8)

Until Greg gets something working in RM, why don't you just recreate the upgrade in KM so you can print the Key Map sheet (remember, RM will import most KM upgrades, so the file won't go to waste)?
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I just tried the KM import feature. It seems a good buncha buttons don't get assigned. It appears to be a simple button name conflict. IE, the volume, channels, arrows, etc. all fail. KM calles them Volume UP, where RM uses volume+. Channels are the same, KM uses channel UP, whereas RM uses channel+. Arrow up="Up", etc. I thought you said you used KM's generic button names? A window did pop up where you could "match" the ones with discrepancies. The functions sheet came out ok, with everything assigned right. It was buttons and layout that faltered.

Jim
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
jamesgammel wrote:
It's pretty handy for me and the wife to refer to till we get used to buttons and what I made them do.

It is a nice feature, isn't it? 8)

Darn Tootin it is!!!!!!! Very Happy

Until Greg gets something working in RM, why don't you just recreate the upgrade in KM so you can print the Key Map sheet (remember, RM will import most KM upgrades, so the file won't go to waste)?

Actually it's not going to waste. since it's an upgrade, "Devices" in IR show the assignments. Just missing one keymove that I can hand-write on a sheet.

Still gonna try the copy and paste to notpad and see if I can get a print-out that way, for now. Sad

Jim
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rats, can't copy and paste any sheet into notepad. Tried buttons and functions. Buttons was worse, couldn't even get the list to highlight. Could get functions to highlight, but wouldn't copy with Control-C. Sad

Jim
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
BTW, I just tried the KM import feature. It seems a good buncha buttons don't get assigned. It appears to be a simple button name conflict. IE, the volume, channels, arrows, etc. all fail. KM calles them Volume UP, where RM uses volume+. Channels are the same, KM uses channel UP, whereas RM uses channel+. Arrow up="Up", etc. I thought you said you used KM's generic button names? A window did pop up where you could "match" the ones with discrepancies. The functions sheet came out ok, with everything assigned right. It was buttons and layout that faltered.

Jim

RM gets the button names from the RDF, which don't match the names used by KM. There is a syntax for adding generic names to the .RDF so that the import will work, but I don't think that the version of IR that supports that syntax has been released (i'm only aware of the beta version in the jp1-km files section). Once that happens, we can go back and update all the RDFs to make import work better. We're trying very hard to keep IR and RM in synch in terms of RDF file format.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
Rats, can't copy and paste any sheet into notepad. Tried buttons and functions. Buttons was worse, couldn't even get the list to highlight. Could get functions to highlight, but wouldn't copy with Control-C. Sad

Jim

If print were available, would there be any reason to have copy to clipboard?

If there is a need, I can add it to the todo list. Actually, since you asked, why not submit a feature request at SourceForge? Very Happy
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
Jim
If print were available, would there be any reason to have copy to clipboard?

Of course not. I tried that because print wasn't available and I was getting desperate.

If there is a need, I can add it to the todo list. Actually, since you asked, why not submit a feature request at SourceForge? Very Happy

I'll see if I can get in and do that. I thought this forum was supposed to be the central clearinghouse for this kind of stuff, I guess not. Crying or Very sad

Thanks Greg

Jim
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feature request successfully posted at sourceforge.

Jim
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
I'll see if I can get in and do that. I thought this forum was supposed to be the central clearinghouse for this kind of stuff, I guess not. Crying or Very sad

Thanks Greg

Jim

This is where the discussions take place.

SourceForge holds the source, releases, and official feature requests (todo list) and bug reports. It is specifically designed for that sort of thing.

We talk about how things work, or should work, here. Then if needed we make the appropriate entries at SourceForge, probably refering to a thread or post here, and then track the progress there.

SourceForge has it's own forums, but we felt it best to keep the discussion here with the rest of the JP1 stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: