JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Argh!!! I HATE Radio Shack!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Argh!!! I HATE Radio Shack!!! Reply with quote

Man, can I just say how much I HATE Radio Shack!!!

It's the same every tie, no matter which store you go to!

I just popped in there today to pick up the new 15-2136 and as soon as I've walked through the door, before I've had a chance to browse (had I wanted to), the bright and perky store manager jumps up and says "Hi there, wlcome to the Skokie Radio Shack, how may I be of service to you today"

So, I tell him I want the new Kameleon, which he promptly grabs off the shelf along with a 4-pack of batteries. Then he asks if I need him to demonstrate the functions to me (as if), which I politely decline. Then he starts ringing it up (with the batteries) so I ask "are those batteries free?". Of course they're not, but he was just going to ring them up anyway! Then he launches into the whole hard-sell routine, do I need a cell phone, satellite TV, blah blah blah.

I ask him how much it would cost to have him just shut up and not try to sell me anything, at which point he asks if I need a cable modem! I tell him, "look, let me save you some time, whatever you're about to ask me, the answer is no, and I've already got a cable modem", to which he says "yes, but do your friends?".

Now, i know these drones have been programmed to do this by HAL-2000 back at corporate HQ, but don't you think they'd know when to give it up already!

Bottom line, avoid going into one of these places at all cost! If you need electronic parts, go to http://www.mouser.com, if you need a TV or stereo, why would you even think of buying it at the Shack, go to Best Buy or Circuit City or ANYWHERE else. If you absolutely need an RS exclusive remote or something, get it from http://www.radioshack.com or better yet, buy it used on ebay.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Argh!!! I HATE Radio Shack!!! Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Now, i know these drones have been programmed to do this by HAL-2000 back at corporate HQ, but don't you think they'd know when to give it up already!

Almost makes me wish they still asked for my name and address with every purchase! I used to love to give them fake names... my all-time favorite being "Harry Vederci"! Twisted Evil
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same frustration every time I walk in one of the Shacks. They drive me crazy since I am by no means an electronic wizard but I have never failed to do a better job of finding what I need than they did. Besides, when they are looking over your shoulder how can you open the package and see if the remote has a jp1 connection Twisted Evil

My father use to hate it every time they asked for his name. He would always ask "why do you need my name I am paying cash" and when they insited they needed it to "make the computer work" he would say OK, my name is Johnny Cash. I loved to watch the look on their face.
johann83

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pretty much have to agree with all the posts here, although one of the Shacks that I have been to locally actually has a couple people who are very helpful. Amazing, isn't it?

I also think I freaked them out a couple times when they asked, "Can I have your name, please?" and I answered, "No." I usually got a blank look and few second pause before they continued trying to sell me a cell phone or satellite system.

But I guess they don't do that anymore...? Haven't been to a Shack in quite a while.

Matt
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it was a little over a year or so ago that they stopped asking for your name with every purchase. I remember they had big signs at the door announcing the new policy.
sfhub

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Argh!!! I HATE Radio Shack!!! Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
So, I tell him I want the new Kameleon, which he promptly grabs off the shelf along with a 4-pack of batteries.

So he had to actually spend the time to grab the batteries?

When I picked up my 2117, the batteries were already taped to the box.
I think I lucked out though. The first remote the newish looking cashier
didn't know what was up so he thought the batteries just came with the
unit as a promotion.

Later when I went back to get a second unit, a more experienced looking
cashier said these batteries had been taped on as a training exercise to
remind the cashiers to always ask if we need batteries, kind of like
ketchup with your fries, but they charge for these.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
kind of like
ketchup with your fries, but they charge for these.

Go to a fast food joint in Europe and they WILL charge you extra for ketchup with your fries!
sixt7gt350

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob:

I believe the best response I've ever heard to the emasculation of Radio Shack was uttered online by a cynical employee:

"You've got questions? We've got batteries!"
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that one many times also and love it, it replaced the previous one, which was "You've got questions, we've got blank stares"
mogulman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like shopping at Radio Shack. Even thought the salespeople there don't know a lot about different products, most of them try. I've gotten better help from them then the bigger electronic stores. I don't buy a lot there, but I do like to look around.

I remember walking into a local A/V store (Soundtrack) after lightning fried almost every electronic component in my house. I had over $3000 to spend on new items. It was hard to find anyone interested in helping me. Heck.. I knew what I was looking for, I just couldn't find someone to answer 1 question or even ring something up.

I shop at Best Buy, Compusa, Microcenter, Fry's. I travel a lot so I've been to numerous electronic stores. I agree that sometimes the salespeople are a little pushy. They work on commision, though.

I like the small shop atmosphere. I like it that if I need a small electronic part, I can drive a few miles and pick it up today.

Also, the I like their policy of recommending the batteries. I've bought too many items at bigger stores, only to find out that they needed batteries/cables/etc. and didn't come with them. I think they should ask.

I miss the printed catalog. Their web-site sucks. Some of their employees are idiots. So are employees from the other electronic places.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the small store concept also. The problem with the Shack these days is corporate based. Radio Shack HQ has obviously ordered their staff to do the hard sell on their cell phones, satellites, waranties, etc, etc and even if you flat out tell the clerk that you don't what any of the additional stuff he's told you about so far and that you're going to say NO to any further suggestions, he's obligated to go through the list regardless.

Then of course there's the ridulous way they are forced to answer the phone...

"Hello, thanks for calling the Skokie Radio Shack, how may I be of excellent service to you today?"
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
"Hello, thanks for calling the Skokie Radio Shack, how may I be of excellent service to you today?"

"Let me talk to someone who has a brain!"

"I'm sorry, sir, we seem to be all out of those... do you need any batteries today?"

8)
Stephen Weller

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject: Radio Shaft Interface Protocol. Reply with quote

I've learned to deal with the Shack rats by walking in with a post-it note bearing the RS part number(s) I want (and perhaps a few obsolete ones as well). That keeps the rat busy while I browse. Usually by the time I'm done window shopping, I can walk over and get what I came for before they've figured out which end they're supposed to think with.

BTW - I *used* to know the store layout better than the minions. With the new layout, it seems nobody knows where ANYTHING is!
micj

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in High School, my 1st real job was at Radio Shack. I was a wiz at electronics, and thought I could answer just about everything. The very 1st question I got was;

"Does this include batteries?"

I didn't know. However, I was the person all the other salespeople sent people with questions to.

Recently, my 7 year old son was with me at the local Radio Shack, and saw the sign," You've got questions, we got answers!" So he asked the salesman, "Is God male or female?" Well, the salesman and 2 other customers in the store almost coughed a lung laughing. (My son understands, and knew it was not really answerable).

Regards,

Ira
Stephen Weller

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago (Please don't ask how many), there was a running debate on the internet (pre www. Ok?) about whether or not Radio Shaft would hire you if you knew too much. Eventually, someone *claiming* to be an ex-rat, came forward confirming that they tested him prior do employment. He further exclaimed how he slectively blew some of the answers and got the job.

Funny, funny world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: