JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Replacement for broken 15-2117

View previous topic :: View next topic  
STDog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Replacement for broken 15-2117 Reply with quote

My 4 year old knocked it off the end table, and the LCD is broken now.

It hasn't been working the best anyway (like the signal was weak) so I'm thinking of replacing it.

How different is the 2116?

What is currently on the market? Anything that will work with my current cable?
I think it's the JP1 simple parallel cable using only a few resistors. I'll have ti dig out my notes and/or open the connector to be sure.

The 15-100 looks interesting, though I don't like the silver.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15-2116 is identical to the 15-2117 except for the fact that it doesn't have an RF transmitter built in, so it won't work with your 15-2117 base unit. (If you're handy with a soldering iron, you could transplant the RF puck from the 15-2117 over to the 15-2116, or you could move the LCD screen from the 15-2116 over to the 15-2117).

Any cable that would work with the 15-2117, regardless of whether it's parallel or USB, is a "JP1" cable (as opposed to a "JP1.x" cable) so it won't work with new remotes like the 15-100, and speaking of the 15-100 it needs a fairly complicated modification in order to work with JP1, so this remote is not ideal unless you don't mind getting your hands dirty.

Your best bet is to get an older JP1 remote like the URC-8910 (or URC-9910 if you need the RF feature).
STDog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Rob.

#1 not only do I not mind, I enjoy getting my hands dirty Wink
I'm a tinkerer at heart. Almost every electronic device I've owned since age 10 has been disassembled at some point.

I'll look a bit at the J1.x cables and use that in my choice.

As to RF, I don't use it. I don't even know off hand where the TF receiver is. I got the remote for $10-15 on clearance at RS in 05 or 06 (I joined here in 06 while trying to get a new device working). I was happy to no longer need the remote for my A/ receiver, as most multi-function remotes under $50 didn't control it.

I tend not to change the remote much either, so the hack nature of the 15-100 isn't a problem. (I read the 6 page thread you started last year).

I'm considering the change because the 15-2117 seamed non-responsive lately (over a year), particularly with my DishNetwork PVR. Never noticed the a problem with the Pioneer components though. (A/V receiver, DVD/LD player and DVD player) And the (RCA) TV is just ON/OFF as it's used as a monitor.

I looked on Ebay and saw a 15-2116 for about $15. I heard form a forum member that RS has a sale this week, so the 15-100 may be quite a deal at the moment.

I'm hoping the DishDVR control will be better with the 15-100.

Need to see what a JP1.3 cable requires to build to be sure. And I'll have to paint the case (done that before).

Last edited by STDog on Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
classicsat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To build, a JP1.3 cable is a little more work (has transistors), but not that hard.
STDog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I saw that. Looks like it's a lever shifter for RS232 (from the 12V levels on the PC to the 3V level on the remote).

I think I have the parts for the 3 or 4 transistor version.

The XOR gate version might be just as easy, and more reliable.

Either way, I'll probably hack my old cable and at least reuse the connectors and cables.
classicsat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made two adapters which I connect the one 6 pin header I have. I attached an old RJ45 socket to my header cable, and a couple pieces of Cat 5 with RJ4 plugs, each on my Parallel JP1 and serial JP1.3 adapters.

In theory, one could have the adapters have an RJ socket, and an RJ plug on the header, but it works the way I did it.
STDog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. That's exactly what I did for my JP1 connector.

The DB25 connector has an RJ45 connect in the shell. Then I have a short piece of CAT5 cable soldered to part of an old floppy ribbon cable.

Unfortunately I don't have the right DB connector. I did find an old serial cable and another old floppy cable. An old piece of perf board, and a few other parts lying around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: