JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Last batch of URC-6131 (old style) remotes available now

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Last batch of URC-6131 (old style) remotes available now Reply with quote

I have what could well be the last batch of URC-6131 remotes available for sale now. I know I won't be able to get any more as this model is discontinued, so I can't buy them new, and it's not showing up in store returns anymore, so I can't get them that way either.

The units I have in this batch are used, they're the ones that people have sent into UEI to have codes added.

I have about 20 of them, so first come first served.

The price is $25 each, plus $5 domestic shipping ($9 Canada/Mexico, $11 rest of the world). I can fit up to 5 in the $5 shipping box.

Payment terms same as before:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=413
karlk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, I have somewhere in the range of 15 of the original, unmodded URC-6131 remotes in-use across 3 households, and with the purchase of the Roku Netflix Player I've finally stumbled across a device that will require either an upgrade of the remotes (via OFA) or going the JP1 route.

I have an email in to OFA regarding what their upgrade service entails, but I'm *more* interested in whether you offer URC-6131 JP1 (eeprom/pin header) upgrades as a service. If 'yes,' what might be your rates?

Karl
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you send a non-modded remote like the 6131 into OFA, they discard it and give you a new remote that was modded at the factory. However, since the old-style 6131 has been discontinued for quite a while, they no longer give the old-style remote in return. They used to give the new-style 6131n instead, but if they've run out of that one, they may give you a URC-6820 now.

If you want your old remotes modded, I'll do it for $15 each. Or I can sell you ready modded remotes for $25 each as I still have some left.
karlk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
When you send a non-modded remote like the 6131 into OFA, they discard it and give you a new remote that was modded at the factory. However, since the old-style 6131 has been discontinued for quite a while, they no longer give the old-style remote in return. They used to give the new-style 6131n instead, but if they've run out of that one, they may give you a URC-6820 now.

Wow, that seems wildly wrong. I know my mom, sister and nephews would be annoyed if I gave 'em a new remote to learn. And then there's Dad. Yikes!

I guess they *really* mean "upgrade" when they say upgrade. (Hmmm... need to look into whether the 6820 is JP1-ready.)

Quote:
If you want your old remotes modded, I'll do it for $15 each. Or I can sell you ready modded remotes for $25 each as I still have some left.
Cool, on both counts. PM sent, as followup.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's their thinking. They make remotes like the URC-6820, URC-8810, URC-8910, etc that are all upgradable "out of the box" (ie, they ARE JP1 ready). They also make cheap remotes that are not JP1-able at all. Then in between, they make remotes like the URC-6131, URC-6011, URC-8011, etc that are sold as "upgradable" but don't have the JP1 parts on board. They figure that there will only be a small % of people that send them in for upgrades. So, let's say that the parts cost $0.50 and they make a million remotes, they just saved themselves $500k. Then what they do is also make a couple of thousand "service remotes" which do have the JP1 parts installed, and they use these remotes for the people who send them in for upgrades. At the end of the day, they have saved some money vs. installing the parts in all of their mid-range priced remotes.

The 6131 has proven to be a very popular remote in the JP1 world, which is why I've carried it in modded form for so long.
karlk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Here's their thinking. ... They figure that there will only be a small % of people that send them in for upgrades.

That makes sense. And I don't know what I was thinking, really, if I understand you correctly. They used to return modded-for-JP1 URC-6131's to customers sending in unmodded 6131's; but must now send alternate upgrade remotes in the absence of any remaining JP1-ready 6131's. Perfectly reasonable, so long as the customer is made aware of the difference in advance.

*IF* I'm not averse to the model of remote they would send back in return, it sounds like my cheapest path to JP1 might be the OFA upgrade route.

Thanks for the information, Rob.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you write about the upgrade process in the user manuals, they state that they reserve the right to return a remote of "equal or greater value", so they've covered themselves there.

My guess is that you would get either a JP1-ready URC-6131n (with a 1k EEPROM chip) or a URC-6820 remote if you send in your old 6131s. Keep in mind that the 6820 is a JP1.2 remote, so you would need a different cable to program it using JP1 than the URC-6131. Therefore, if you don't have a JP1 cable yet, you might want to wait for them to send you the replacement remotes before you buy one.
karlk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Keep in mind that the 6820 is a JP1.2 remote, so you would need a different cable to program it using JP1 than the URC-6131. Therefore, if you don't have a JP1 cable yet, you might want to wait for them to send you the replacement remotes before you buy one.

Chuckle; I was wondering about that. I just ordered a USB JP1 cable from Tommy T, under the plan to upgrade my 6131's. But I'm OK with getting the JP1 cable, as it'll be needed for the 6131 I'm picking-up from you (I still wanna go forward with that), plus I'm shifting back to the DIY JP1 upgrade for my 6131's. (It's time I learned how to solder.)

I've begun to appreciate my URC-6131 remotes even more, in the last day, and am becoming concerned about losing 'em. I'm looking around trying to find another simple OFA remote with the oh-so-handy and essential Instant Replay and Quick Skip buttons... but am yet to find any. (I've only reviewed 10-20, but am surprised that I've only found the buttons on the 6131 models.) Bottom line is, I'll be able to get a lot more mileage out of my 6131 remotes if I upgrade 'em to JP1 -- along with the fact that it will make reprogramming the remote for a given room much easier.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you (doing the DIY thing), that's strongly encouraged around here. If you need the parts, I can include the EEPROMs for $1 each and I'll throw in the 6-pins for free. All you'll need to supply is the solder and the iron.
gumesese

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Last batch of URC-6131 (old style) remotes available now Reply with quote

Rob, do you have still one device on stock?

If yes i will order via paypal: 25+11+2.50

The Robman wrote:
I have what could well be the last batch of URC-6131 remotes available for sale now. I know I won't be able to get any more as this model is discontinued, so I can't buy them new, and it's not showing up in store returns anymore, so I can't get them that way either.

The units I have in this batch are used, they're the ones that people have sent into UEI to have codes added.

I have about 20 of them, so first come first served.

The price is $25 each, plus $5 domestic shipping ($9 Canada/Mexico, $11 rest of the world). I can fit up to 5 in the $5 shipping box.

Payment terms same as before:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=413

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes
rickgtx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Overstock.com 6131n Reply with quote

The refurbished ones are $12 shipped. Do you think it might have the mods?
http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/One-For-All-URC-6131N-6-device-Universal-Remote-Refurb/1724123/product.html
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can 100% guarantee you that they will NOT have the mods. "Refurbished" just means "used" or "store returns".
actran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, If you have any of the URC-6131 (with JP1) left, I would like 2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Market Place All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: