JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Are we "Hacking" ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokalarobia

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Are we "Hacking" ? Reply with quote

Hi, Folk, Smile
Sometimes ago I phone to an OFA Service Center about bying a JP1 cable. I have been surprised that the hot line does not know about it. I think they are not allowed to recognize JP1 being.
I would like to know your opinion about it. There are 2 sights: Technical and moral. Rolling Eyes
Evan_s

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a sense yes we are hacking. This is all done with out direct support of the MFG of the remote. You won't find the cables in a normal store and definitely can't order it from the MFG. We are using a feature of the remote they designed for them and their large customers (cable companies etc) to use to customize remotes for their needs. We are even going farther than they do by developing complex custom code that adds new features to the remotes.

With that said we aren't doing anything close to illegal with what we are doing. We bought the remotes and aren't doing anything that would violate IP of the MFG. TheRobman, who runs the site, has contacts with in the company so they definitely know that it goes on at a higher level. I'm sure they don't mind this going on since it does drive some sales for their remotes and doesn't end up costing them anything in the end really. I wouldn't expect any entry level CSR that you talk with to have any clue about it tho.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only that, but the folks at UEI even paid for me to fly out to California to meet them face to face a couple of years ago, so they're definitely aware of what we're doing and "unofficially" approve of it.

But that being said, if you call the OFA or Radio Shack help lines, they don't officially know anything about it.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: are we hacking? Sure we are.... Reply with quote

From the technical sense, we are making the device do something that the manufacturer did not intend it to do (ie: be programmable by the user by a computer) The Software/interface enables things on the remote that you couldn't do from the keypad and makes things easier.

Especially those of us who write extenders and special protocols, this is certainly hacking. BUT I agree with Evan_s, what we're doing is respectful of the IP from UEI, and we're not using what we learn for any kind of illegal or malicious intent so even though it is "hacking" it's not bad.

-bill
kokalarobia

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: OFA is late ! Reply with quote

Hi, folks,
I suppose Mr Robman was the first giving to world folks the opportunity of programming their remotes at home using cable. Previously it was done only at factories. Now I know Logitech does it with USB cable ; OFA seems not to do it ; untill . . . ; and surely other (chineese ?) brands.

OFA site shows "Future Proof: Wireless upgrade via phone or Internet" ; I think WAV files.
Logitech site shows "Package Contents: . . . , USB cable, . . .

OFA must do it very immediately ! Smile
classicsat

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we (or at least the more technical of us), are to some degree hacking, but not the bad kind (like hacking a cable or satellite box to steal TV, or a game console to play pirated discs).

Our hacks do not deprive UEIC of revenue, nor interfere with their IP generally. I have no moral problem with the form of hacking we do here.

It is just something they don't want to support, at least by their front line support team, since it is technically modifying their product, and doing such may put it into a state they have no control over or knowledge of.

As for UEIC officially supporting the JP1xx interface, or having a direct USB programmable remote, it could be done, but it would have to be mostly idiot proof. Current JP1xx methodologies have a good learning curve to them, that would eliminate most of its elements from contention in a mass consumer product.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: