JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Popcornhour A-100, Universal remote setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vfrjim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Popcornhour A-100, Universal remote setup Reply with quote

I am trying to setup my Universal Remote(MX-850) to control the Popcornhour A-100 and at their website they give some universal codes: http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#Can_I_use_a_universal_remote_control_for_the_NMT.3F

Do these work with JP1? I do have a JP1 capable remote if needed with cable (just never had a need to use it since most of my devices are already available at remote central) Thanks!

Jim
Evan_s

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert but it definitely looks like there's enough info there to get it working for JP1 but if all you want is for your mx-850 to control it I don't think that is necessary. They have the pronto hex already generated for all the possible buttons. You can even make a good guess abouts some of them using the labeled picture of the remote. If you have picture of the remote or even a non working remote you should be able to identify the pronto hex for all of the buttons.

For example looking at the remote I'd guess that 900A 006D 0000 0001 04CB 4AB5 is for Power.
vfrjim

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never used a pronto hex editor, so I am at a lost using that software. I downloaded Prontoedit and could not figure it out. Is there any good instructions out there to do this?

Thanks
Evan_s

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP1 doesn't typically do much with Pronto hex but it is the format commonly used by other remotes. To the best of my knowledge it should be usable by the software that came with your mx-850. If you need help using that software you're looking in the wrong area. Some users here might know but it's not really was these boards are about. Id' recommend checking with your remote mfg or forums dedicated to them.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vfrjim wrote:
I never used a pronto hex editor, so I am at a lost using that software. I downloaded Prontoedit and could not figure it out. Is there any good instructions out there to do this?

ProntoEdit won't be helpful in this situation. The programs you need are MakeHex plus either IrPanels or Hex2CCF.

The Universal Browser in the MX-850 editor understands some Pronto Hex, but not the kind of Pronto Hex shown on that webpage.

1) Get the nec1.irp file from MekeHex.zip and open it in a text editor. Change the device line to say
Device=4.203
and save the file. (I got 4.203 from the "System Code 04CBH" shown on that page).

2) Drag/drop nec1.irp onto the icon for makehex.exe (in windows file browser). That will create nec1.hex

3) If using IrPanels: edit nec1.irp and SelectAll and Copy (to Windows clipboard) then run IrPanels and Paste and create the CCF file.
If using Hex2CCF open a command prompt in the directory containing nec1.hex and type Hex2ccf nec1.hex SomeName.ccf

4) Once you have a CCF file, open that in the MX-850 Universal Browser. You'll find 256 numbered buttons in that CCF file. Universal Browser can drag from any of those buttons to any button in your MX-850 configuration.

Use that web page you linked for reference in understanding button numbers.

The Dec value (first column in that long list) corresponds to the button number Universal Browser will find in the CCF. The Hex value (second column in that long list) corresponds to the coded positions on the picture of the original remote.

You can find more detailed instructions for the above in several threads at
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/complete/list.cgi
and/or
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-master/list.cgi

All such threads mention MakeHex (but so do too many other threads you don't want). Most such threads mention Hex2CCF and/or IrPanels.

Good luch with the furum search there. It isn't nearly as flexible as an advanced Google search. Probably there is a way to get Google to do a better search of that forum.
vfrjim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Thanks for the LONG explanation on how to do this. I believe that I did it right, but cannot test it since my Popcornhour unit died right after I asked this question here(I sent it back to get replaced and hope to see it in a week). Just to verify that I did it correctly, this is what I did. I entered the hex # '0F' in the calculator and converted it to DEC and it converts to 15 and I dragged 15 to the key I wanted programmed to be that key and labeled it correctly, is this correct? I do appreciate all the help, no one on that forum would help eventhough someone said that they had the JP1 file and would not share it. I now have a mxd file for the mx-850 and I will share it after I verify that it works. Thanks again.

Jim
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vfrjim wrote:
Just to verify that I did it correctly,

Without seeing the CCF file you created, I can't be sure my explanation of how to do that was understood. Short of getting the unit back and testing, I don't know how you can verify much.

Quote:
I entered the hex # '0F' in the calculator and converted it to DEC and it converts to 15 and I dragged 15 to the key I wanted programmed to be that key and labeled it correctly, is this correct?

That web page you linked to had that long list where the first column was the decimal and the second column was the hex. So you didn't really need a calculator. But a calculator also works.

Quote:
no one on that forum would help

How to manually read the obscure forms of Pronto Hex and which ones the MX-850 Universal Browser won't import, are not exactly common knowledge even among the JP1 experts. So most people would have no reason to expect the answer Evan_s gave you wasn't really correct.
Evan_s wrote:
To the best of my knowledge it should be usable by the software that came with your mx-850.

Even so, the rest of his answer was correct:

Evan_s wrote:
If you need help using that software you're looking in the wrong area. Some users here might know but it's not really was these boards are about. Id' recommend checking with your remote mfg or forums dedicated to them.

The two URC forums at RC are a much better place to get help with something that is primarily a question about the MX-850's Universal Browser.

Quote:
eventhough someone said that they had the JP1 file and would not share it.

I reread this thread and still don't see that.

I could have told you how to translate the info you linked into a JP1 file rather than into a CCF file. Maybe others here also know how to do that (know how to read the info in the non JP1 form in which that other page gives it). But that would have been a harder translation than what it took to get a CCF file, and once done, it would be harder to learn from the JP1 remote to the MX-850 than to drag with Universal Browser.
vfrjim

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I reread this thread and still don't see that.

I PM'd the user that had a JP1 file, no reply within 3 weeks.

I would have asked at RC forum, but since someone said they had the JP1 file, I figured this place would have been better to inquire and you have been more then hospitable and I appreciate it. When I followed your directions too the tee, it showed exactly what you said it would show, so I am confident that it should work correctly. I cannot wait to try it our and will reply when I get to test it. Thanks!
vfrjim

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the remote codes work fine now with your help. Thanks again for all your help.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: