JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I'm new & have some questions !

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andreq

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: I'm new & have some questions ! Reply with quote

Hi all!

Just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm planning on "writting" a nice illustrated tutorial on how to mod the URC-6131N remote.

I'm quite new to all this JP1 stuff but I've been playing with electronic for a lot of time now. I've installed many chips in game console and I've been "hacking" some PVR camera lately Wink

Here is my shopping list :

1 x URC-6131N remote ($16 shipped to Canada on ebay) ------ Waiting shipment
1 x IDC 6 hole connector ------- Waiting shipment... but in the meantime I've moded a IDE cable
1 x 2row3Pin Header ------- Waiting shipment
1 x EEPROM ------ Waiting shipment

I'll probably have everything in about 2 week (the remote will probably take longer as I've used the cheapest shipping method)

For now I have :

Homemade Simple Interface JP1 Cable.

As you can see, I've used two 490ohm resistor in series as I didn't have any 1k left... I might use 1.5k or 1.7k as I have many... I just read I could use anything close from 1k to 2k... I'll see when I get the remote

I'll probably change the moded plug with a real IDC 6 hole connector and the wire will be color coded. Also, I recently found a schottky diode in my bins to replace the current signal diode if necessary.

My main plan with this remote is to finaly be able to get rid of my Xbox 360 controller when watching movies. I'll probably use the current upgrade located on this forum.

As I'm new, I have one stupid question :

As seen on this picture

I will probably use the bottom 4 button (depending on what they are normaly used for...) for my Xbox 360 Red/Blue/Green/Yellow.

As they are "black/gray" I can't really use dye to color them...

Would you think using colored nail polish would work ? I personaly think it might give it a little "hard button" feeling (which is great IMHO) but I'd like to ear you on this one.

Spray paint might also be "ok" but I can't seem to find any info on how to "paint" rubber material

Thanks for your time ! And this wonderfull website/forum/community!

p.s. Sorry for any syntax/word error, english isn't my maiden language

Last edited by Andreq on Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andreq

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picture added Wink
MaximusPlank

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the European standard for sequence of the colored buttons is Red Green Yellow Blue. Somehow I have memorized that and always program the colors to areas that have 4 buttons inline (the same as you plan to do). No matter what sequence the original uses, I always place them R G Y B and that method works well, at least for me. In the event the original uses one or more different colors then all bets are off.

To address your button coloring request, there was recently a post here about a product that does the job well but I haven't found it, sorry. I'm sure if you search here will find it. Hey wait, found it. Here it is:
stangbat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the post on coloring buttons:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9452
Andreq

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that post but as I'm "stuck" with a "black background" button, I can't use that dye...

My other solution is to paint a color circle around the button. It will keep the existing button symbol but still help me know where I mapped the colors.

I have a test dummy remote (not jp1) to do some test... I'll let you know how it goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: