JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

brand new remote - start with upgrade or default code?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kasm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: brand new remote - start with upgrade or default code? Reply with quote

I have read most of the intro tutorials, but they all talk about specific tasks, not best practices.

I'm interested to know what is the best practice in setting up a remote. step by step from nothing. I have not seen a guide on this.

I have been using OFA remotes for years - on my 4th one. I just got a JP1 cable and ordered a new URC-8910. In the past, without a JP1 cable, I would start with the default codes, download advanced code, mapout all the keys that were missed that I needed and programmed either through learning or advanced codes.

Now with JP1, should I start with downloaded upgrade files first? Should I create custom upgrades? Should I start with the build in codes and use the JP1 to fill in the gaps? or should I use the same process as before as a starting point and then fill in any gaps?

BTW, I have the following:
- Denon AVR-788 A/V Receiver
- Samsung LN-T4061 LCD TV
- Phillips DVP5982/37 upconverting DVD player
- OFA URC-8910

Thanks!
greenough1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
With a cable, things are much easier for you to customize your remote.
I'm assuming you've downloaded the required tools and are somewhat familair with them (IR to interface with remote and setup macros as well as KM and/or RM to customize your upgrades)

First off it's best to look for upgrades in the download area for devices that are close to yours. Download them and load them into KM (or RM). Reset the remote type and see how the buttons are laid out and customize as you like.
Second load it into IR (copy the upgrade and if required the protocol), and then upload into your remote.
Third, setup in IR any macros, extra keymoves (e.g. advanced codes) and then test to see if it all works like you want it to.

If no workable (partially working) upgrades or setup codes exist and you have the original remote, then learn all the keys, download the learns into IR. From there you can (if the learns are all good), setup an upgrade in KM by setting up the protocol, device, subdevice and entering the EFC's for the functions. Once you're done (and you've save all the learns from IR), move the upgrade from KM into IR and upload to the remote and check that it works like the original remote. If so, then upload this upgrade to the appropriate area in the file section. It will now be available for the next person who need an upgrade for that device.

If you have parially working upgrades or setup code, you can start with that and backfill with learns, fill out the KM upgrade and upload it for the next person.

I hope this helps.

Best,
jeff
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a little tip that I got from JohnSFine, that will save you a lot of grief. When you are working with your cable and you have it communicating with your remote, take a sharp tipped marker and label pin 1 with a 1 on your connector. When you have lots of different remotes, and lots of different cables, like I do, this will be a lifesaver. Most of the remotes have pin 1 labeled with a 1 or a notch in the box, to help you figure out which is pin1. Othertimes just the word JP1 appears, and I orient based on the writing. You should also label your interface JP1 or JP1.x or JP1.2. If you have the perfect remote you it may be years before you touch this cable again. You'd be surprised at how much you forget if you don't hang in the forum.

As far as upgrades. I've been lucky enough that my equipment has been covered with built in upgrades, and I've only had to have a few keymoves. But its a best practice to create an upgrade even if your remote has the built in codes. You'll want to capture "all" the functions for your equipment, even if you are not going to want to use them in your upgrade or as keymoves. Also open up similar upgrades in the upgrade area and see if there are other function codes that work with your equipment. My OEM remote was missing several features that the equipment handles. For example, my new DVR recorder doesn't have a "pause record" feature on the OEM remote, but I found that in the codes here and it has been extremely useful. Same thing with my TV, there were no buttons on the OEM remote to handle changing the source and channel on the PIP, but I was able to find those codes and add them to my upgrade. Even if you don't use these functions on your remote, its very useful to have the codes. The more complete your upgrade, the more useful it may be to the community.
greenough1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give a practical example of what Vicky's saying how creating complete upgrades, including advanced codes, is a best practice, consider when you buy a different remote (different key layout, e.g.). If you'd been relying on manually entering keymoves to get the advanced code functionality, you're in for some manually intensive work (either entering the keymoves into the remote directly or directly into IR).

If on the other hand you have complete upgrades for KM or RM available, you just load those, change the remote and copy over to IR. I made the mistake of doing the former my first time around and when I got a different remote, learned this lesson the hard way for one piece of equipment.
Best,
jeff
kasm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all great tips. Thanks.

I did have initial problems with the connection, only to realize that I had connected the cable in reverse on the remote, so labeling pin1 is a great suggestion.

I was able to use my existing URC 8810 to add an upgrade to control my Bose sounddock. It was actually quite easy by following the beginners guide and downloading the existing upgrade from the files section.

It sounds like taking an existing upgrade and ensuring it is complete by adding learning key is the way to go. Thanks for your tips based on your experience. Also I will be sure to review all upgrades related to my devices as some may have additional functions not on the orginal remotes (advanced codes) already included in some upgrades but not others.

Keep these best practices tips coming. They are of great value!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would offer one small caveat to an earlier suggestion that it's best to use upgrades in lieu of built-in setup codes.

I absolutely agree that you shohuld have complete upgrades for each of your components in your "library" on your PC. Whether or not you USE each upgrade vs. using a built-in setup code (potentially supplemented by keymoves) is not an obvious/automatic decision, since it is possible, in complex setups, to run out of upgrade memory.

Ultimately, only YOU can figure out the optimum use of your scarcest resource, your memory.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I didn't mean to imply that you USE the upgrade. But you should create one anyway to have complete documentation. That said, I didn't do that with one piece of equipment I had. I was using the OEM remote every day, and one day I went down to use it, and the battery had ruptured and killed the remote. There wasn't a code in the forum, that could control the arrow functions! It would have saved me a lot of time and energy if I'd had just documented the codes by taking the time to learn them.

The UEI built in codes won't cover obscure items such as a channel add button, but if your OEM remote dies you'll kick yourself for not having had those codes in an upgrade file somewhere.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fill out a complete RemoteMaster setup sheet and functions sheet for every IR controlled device I get my hands on.

I don't always use the upgrade. But I want to save the info in case I want to use the upgrade later. An .rmdu file is the most convenient form to save that info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: