JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

only in math do you need to be precise English not so much
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Hall of Shame (and other funny stuff)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: only in math do you need to be precise English not so much Reply with quote

to understand what I'm trying to convey isn't hard if you follow these guidelines
i1st if a word is misspelled you don't understand try sounding it out

2ndly look around the keyboard it may be just the key next to it was accidentally typed instead

thirdly try understanding it in the context in which it is used.If the topic is usb and you run across uab or udb it is apparent from the context it means usb
however if any of those rules don't clear it up .then I'm just babbling or drunken or something similar
however most of the time it can be understood by applying those simple rules first only in Math does one have to Ibe absolutely precise English not so much
and this was carefully spell spell checked for errors
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle, I can sympathize with your plight. What you describe here, is pretty much what I do mentally to read (dyslexia). Consequently when I read my own posts I see them correctly. You really can't expect the rest of the world to adapt, and you can't be angry at the rest of the world for not understanding the disability. Do your best to post coherently, but you've got to hold the attitude. Its the attitude that gets you in trouble.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: only in math do you need to be precise English not so mu Reply with quote

chelli1501 wrote:
to understand what I'm trying to convey isn't hard if you follow these guidelines
It's unreasonable to expect those who are trying to help you to do all the work deciphering what you type. A simple proofread done before you hit the Submit button would be a big step in the right direction. You can probably catch 99% of your own mistakes that way.

I don't mind an occasional misspelling, but multiple mistakes along with poor punctuation and run-on sentences make it much harder than it needs to be.

Last edited by Mark Pierson on Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to all the mis-typed words and run on sentences with no punctuation, there's the "do it all for me because I can't be bothered" attitude that you bring to these forums.

If you wonder why so few people are bothering to read or answer your questions now, maybe this will help shed some light on it.

Last edited by The Robman on Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
greenough1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chelli, with all due respect, speaking to the topic of this thread, I would argue that English is a subject that requires precise use of the English language, not your set of rules.
Typos are one thing that most can cope with as well as the odd dropping of a capital beginning the sentence and misspellings. Stream of consciousness is a whole other thing that is extraordinarily hard to parse.

Last edited by greenough1 on Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle, I know we are all wrong and you are right, but you might spend some time "intuitively reading" this and other fora, and determine for yourself how you are more likely to get useful results.

Option 1: Take the time to proofread your writing and make it understandable to a potential helper, or

Option 2: Continue as you have here, and make it SO difficult for anybody to figure out how to help you, that nobody will bother to even try.

I would wager that an extremely low percentage of posts that demonstrate the carelessness to accuracy, clarity and attitude that you exhibit almost constantly get any useful feedback.

Perhaps your experience in other fora is different. Perhaps they are more tolerant of your "minor" shortcomings. In that case, I suggest you go there to seek assistance, as I sense your welcome is wearing thin here. Others more patient may still try to help you, but I, for one, am done.

I respectfully refer you to THIS POST in the "Beginners - Read this first" thread. The author of the post linked within that post has nothing to do with this forum, so you should not consider his opinion prejudiced.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
I respectfully refer you to THIS POST in the "Beginners - Read this first" thread. The author of the post linked within that post has nothing to do with this forum, so you should not consider his opinion prejudiced.

I suggested she read that over a year ago, so not much hope for change...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=38590#38590
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of the forum members adapting to the deliberate and arrogant illiteracy is preposterous. This is all meant to annoy, and she's pushing the right buttons to do just that. May I respectfully suggest ignoring those posts until Michelle shows some steps towards learning English (as some of us have done), as well as visible evidence of steps taken towards learning jp1, as was suggested, and ignored, on numerous occasions. It takes two sides to communicate. So long as one side is unwilling, and is so proud of ignorance, the posts should be ignored. It's a waste of experts' time to do otherwise.

Just my five cents.
jimdunn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
The idea of the forum members adapting to the deliberate and arrogant illiteracy is preposterous. This is all meant to annoy, and she's pushing the right buttons to do just that. May I respectfully suggest ignoring those posts until Michelle shows some steps towards learning English (as some of us have done), as well as visible evidence of steps taken towards learning jp1, as was suggested, and ignored, on numerous occasions. It takes two sides to communicate. So long as one side is unwilling, and is so proud of ignorance, the posts should be ignored. It's a waste of experts' time to do otherwise.

Just my five cents.

Here's my 2.5 cents (devalued in deference to the experts...)

That's a really well worded summary of my exact take on this, Elizabeth.

I second the motion.

Quote:
the posts should be ignored.

It is, in fact, what I, and I suspect many others are already doing...

I initially offered some help, which was rudely ignored, along with the advice of everyone else trying to help in the thread, so I went on my merry way elsewhere.

I agree with Rob, here, that there seems to be little hope - and with Liz that this behaviour is deliberately designed to annoy.
sfhub

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: only in math do you need to be precise English not so mu Reply with quote

chelli1501 wrote:
i1st if a word is misspelled you don't understand try sounding it out

2ndly look around the keyboard it may be just the key next to it was accidentally typed instead

thirdly try understanding it in the context in which it is used.If the topic is usb and you run across uab or udb it is apparent from the context it means usb
however if any of those rules don't clear it up .then I'm just babbling or drunken or something similar
however most of the time it can be understood by applying those simple rules first only in Math does one have to Ibe absolutely precise English not so much
and this was carefully spell spell checked for errors

I can actually understand your typos, I have a lot of experience with rcreplay, but what is difficult to me is the stream of consciousness style of writing where the thoughts translate to run-on sentences and there are sometimes contradictory lines of thought in the same run-on sentence.

I cannot begin to answer some of your questions without first going through and clarifying the inconsistencies, which would be a long post by itself. As I'm writing the clarification response to your question, I'm also getting a chance to focus on your frustration manifesting itself as an unpleasant attitude in your postings and often I do not finish my post or change my post from a specific one for your needs to a generic link to an existing resource.

We aren't getting paid to help you with any of this, so there really is no obligation for any of us to provide assistance. We do it because we enjoy the hobby and helping people solve their problems, however if there is too much attitude, we just tune out.
kevin_in_ga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a newbie to this forum, I took great time to make sure of several things:

1. I had read the necessary background info on JP1, RM, and IR.exe.

2. I had spent a month or so before my first post reviewing the threads to see if the answers to simple questions were already at hand (therefore I didn't need to re-post the same questions).

3. My posts were typo-free (at least to the best of my ability), that I previewed them for clarity and accuracy, and that they hopefully contained enough information to help those willing to help me.

4. I thanked those who spent time teaching me how to do solve my issues.

I personally struggle with those who demonstrate poor or careless typing - it leads people to think that you don't really care all that much about the questions you're asking. To then respond defensively or aggressively about your own shortcomings in communication will only drive support away from your cause, rather than toward it.

This post is a great example of this type of behavior – you want others to adapt to your broken English rather than taking the time to correct it beforehand. Long odds on this ever happening.
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am being more careful how I submit a thread in this forum as not only do I attempt a spellcheck before its submitted I also proofread it afterward and use the edit button to correct and resubmit it
however I still don't have a grasp on where to use punctuation marks and exactly which to use so each thought now begins as a separate line
As to asking questions I try to use the search engine first if there is a discussion on it but am even frustrated by that If Im looking for a device such as model ABC-123 for example do both a all post and in title search narrowing down the fields but whichever search I use far too many hits come back to find exactly what I'm looking for then I post it as a new topic
And if I post something in what appears to be on topic like I did today then don't go all all crazy and say that it should be posted elsewhere either point out where it should be posted or provide the correct link.If you're a moderator just move the topic over to where it should be posted then
found two errors after submitting this and used the edit to correct it and then resubmitted it again
BTW language is ever evolving so imprecise while math is constant in math
2+2 = 4 no matter what time it's in not so for language a words meaning today may mean one thing today yet tomorrow may be entirety different
such as GAY meant happy 30 years ago while today its means entirely something different prevent used to mean to go before today it means to keeep from happening need I go on but 2 +2= 4 remains the same yesterday today and forever
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenough1 wrote:
Chelli, with all due respect, speaking to the topic of this thread, I would argue that English is a subject that requires precise use of the English language, not your set of rules.
Typos are one thing that most can cope with as well as the odd dropping of a capital beginning the sentence and misspellings. Stream of consciousness is a whole other thing that is extraordinarily hard to parse.

on this I definitely disagree if your old enough to have children and compare their venicular with yours that you start hearing many of the words they use with different meanings and so was your generations from your parents Each generation brings its own ideas into the language and become a part of the whole Over time some words are enhanced changed or discarded and new words employed
Language is constantly evolving as to the times we live in and altered or modified as the succeeding generation sees fitting Many of the words we use today were not even heard of even 10 years ago less even a 100 or 1000 years and this is not my rule but comes by everyday observation
to understand someone is to also understand what life experiences have been to them as well
Nicodemus and the Biblical prophesies could only convey what they wrote according to what was available to them then they had no concept od planes or nuclear weapons so they drew on what they knew to convey them to us
and trying to keep up with an ever fastly changing world keeps us alert and vigilant to understand anything today with 100s of new words being invented everyday precise hell its ever becoming more imprecise today than it ever was
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelli1501 wrote:
on this I definitely disagree if your old enough to have children and compare their venicular with yours that you start hearing many of the words they use with different meanings and so was your generations from your parents
This has nothing to do with word meanings. It has everything to do with asking clear, concise questions. If you want someone to help you, you can't expect them to learn your "vernacular" first.
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you'll note the quote I was responding to not the whole forum besides this group is far more interested in grammatical correctness and punctiation than it is in acttual help
If you can get the gist of the thought then why are you harping and typo or a punctuation mark misplaced
I can get the gist if every word is mis-spelled why cant you I don't go around complaining about spelling errors think that the exactness of math assumes the spelling should be exacting also when you do that your just nitpicking
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Hall of Shame (and other funny stuff) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: