JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

8820 Extender Shift-cloak problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: 8820 Extender Shift-cloak problem Reply with quote

I have this IR file which works well mostly but...

I have noticed that there seems to be a problem with Shift-cloaking. I first noticed the problem trying to get XShift to cloak and then noticed it in "normal" Shift-cloaking. Specifically, in this IR file, I am trying to get a DoublePress of Guide to call my PVR's Guide function and change device and input and SinglePress to just call Guide for the native device. DoublePress works but SinglePress does nothing unless you press Guide again outwith the duration that is set for the LKP. Make sense to anyone?

Last edited by underquark on Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Underquark, I'm on the road and don't have my 8820 with me. I'll take a look at it when I get home.

In theory, a shifted button needs to be a keymove or macro. After the keymove/macro area is searched, its assumed that the shift was in error, so the shift bit is turned off and the normal function of the key is executed. This does not work with x-shift, only shift.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Vicky. That explains the XShift; I've worked a way around it.

Further to above, what I don't get at present is that the Guide macro/DKP works fine for PVR (executes Guide, changes TV input and device selection), seems to work for DVD player/recorder (same TV input as PVR as they are linked) but only seems to work for the other device (DVB-T terrestrial digital TV receiver) if one presses it once and then - AFTER the DKP delay time - presses it again. I'm thinking it might be something to do with the device now rather than the remote or maybe a subtle frequency/timing issue as it uses the Streamap protocol. Original remote works fine, BTW.

Do not, however, dwell on it please. This is not a major problem! The 8820 with extender is - IMHO - the best remote I have so far used.

Only a backlight and 4 extra keys (for us Euro's who have Red, Green, Yellow, Blue on lots of devices) would make it better. I'm thinking of resurrecting my old 8040 for the bedroom as we only have 3 devices to control in there and blue backlight makes sense. Otherwise it's 8820's all round the house (although SWMBO has only just got used to the 8910 after about two years).
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried again and note that a short, single press of Guide is usually not registered but a long press is - but only for the DVB-T device so it's looking more like a receiving device quirk.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that does sound like its not an extender problem. Perhaps just putting a second shift-guide in the short side might be enough to make it work.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll fix it, I'm sure.

DVB sits on top of VCR under a shelf and used to require remote to be pointed directly at it as it was somewhat shielded. I was possibly all along unconciously pressing keys for longer when pointing at it and waiting for a response. Recently I upgraded the software on my PVR which caused it to crash and required that I get to the power socket to turn it off and re-boot. In moving things around I have likely pulled the DVB unit into a better position so that I have become less deliberate about pointing at it with the result that I'm probably pressing for shorter duration than previously.

I note that the LED on the remote still flickers correctly after a short press and I assume that the effect of pressing for longer is simply repeating the last key in the command - i.e. Guide via Shift-cloaking (a Shift-cloaked key can still be "held down" can't it?).

I suppose the next step is to learn the signal from the 8820 to another remote, look at it in IR and confirm that it is, indeed, sending the correct signal. As long as I remember to press for longer it's all working, hovever.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extender only holds the key, when there its the only key in the buffer. That is, when the current buffer count is 1. That's why you typically put the LKP as the last step in a macro.

I don't see how you can hold a keypress on the short side of an LKP. You'd have to have extremely good hand eye coordination to get that to work. I can't possibly imagine how you'd time it right to get the short-side to execute and then repress at exaclty the right moment to hold the keypress. That's just mind boggling to me. But remember, I'm the person that couldn't reproduce that delay you had with key repeats. I have very poor hand-eye coordination, which is one of the reasons I like JP1-1.x remotes so well.
speaker.guy
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underquark said:
Quote:
Only a backlight and 4 extra keys (for us Euro's who have Red, Green, Yellow, Blue on lots of devices) would make it better.

Have you tried the Atlas OCAP? Lots more keys than the 8820, has your 4 colored keys, backlight, learning on some of them....
I can send you a brand new one with batteries and manual for $30US shipped by Global Priority Mail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: