JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Finding EFC or Hex for KeyMove

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zellarman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Finding EFC or Hex for KeyMove Reply with quote

I'm trying to eliminate an often mistakenly executed command from occurring on the power button, all on for x-10 (Home 0167), without real intent. I've used a keymove from another device that has no function to cancel out the power button, but now I would like to assign the originally removed 'all on' command to the shifted power button for this device, but since it's a code already in the remote the efc or hex for this function aren't shown as they are for upgraded device codes. Is there somewhere else I can discover this information?

I've tried EFC 210 that's shown in two different upgrades
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=258 &
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=257
but it didn't work. Maybe I can't do a keymove onto a button then put that original function on the same shifted button?
kupakai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try EFC 046. It is listed here in the advanced code section of this site.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What remote are you using?

Here's what happens with my (unextended) URC8820. I though it would work on most remotes:

KeyMove a blank code to TV_Power button (I used setup code 0348_Format which doesn't exist on this remote)

Nothing is assigned to TV_Shift-Power

When you press TV_Shift-power the remote finds nothing and falls back on the original code in the upgrade for that button, i.e. not the KeyMoved code.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do an old-fashioned key move, you can read the EFC in IR. That's what I do when I don't have internet access.
Zellarman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

underquark wrote:
What remote are you using?

Here's what happens with my (unextended) URC8820. I though it would work on most remotes:

KeyMove a blank code to TV_Power button (I used setup code 0348_Format which doesn't exist on this remote)

Nothing is assigned to TV_Shift-Power

When you press TV_Shift-power the remote finds nothing and falls back on the original code in the upgrade for that button, i.e. not the KeyMoved code.

This also works on my extended 8910, I guess most would consider this better than the code 046 which also works, but uses up memory for the keymove
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
If you do an old-fashioned key move, you can read the EFC in IR. That's what I do when I don't have internet access.
All right, I searched but can't find how to do this. When I KeyMove (either in IR or by button-pressing on the remote) and then look in IR I see the KeyMove as "$15 **KeyCode". How do I get it to show the EFC or Hex?

Remote - URC8820
IR version 7.02
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new keycode-style keymove that stores the original keycode rather than the EFC of the command. If your remote uses that style of keymove (which the URC-8820 does), you can't get the EFC from examining a keymove in IR. So that means you'll have to use another learning JP1* remote to learn the signal being sent by the 8820 and then examine that learned signal in IR.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I didn't know that the newer remotes don't do this any more. I guess when I go on the road to solve remote issues, I'd better take both cables and both types of remotes.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me see if I understand the question correctly. Before you started, the POWER button performed the "all on" command, but due to the fact that people where accidentally hitting this button when they shouldn't, you disabled it by placing a "do nothing" keymove on the POWER button. However, because you still want the ability to turn everything on once in a while, you would like to program the shift-POWER button to perform the "all on" function.

Did I sum it up correctly?

If so, the remote should already do what you want without you needing to do anything else.

When you use a built in setup code or upgrade, the functions assigned to the buttons automatically work in both shifted and non-shifted modes. You can then, of course, re-program either mode using a keymove, but the other mode will still work "as is".
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
There is a new keycode-style keymove that stores the original keycode rather than the EFC of the command. If your remote uses that style of keymove (which the URC-8820 does), you can't get the EFC from examining a keymove in IR. So that means you'll have to use another learning JP1* remote to learn the signal being sent by the 8820 and then examine that learned signal in IR.
Luckily I have a JP1 hooked up to a URC7562 and a JP1.2 to a URC8820 and can happily beam one to another and read them in IR if I need to. I was just wondering if I'd suddenly gone stupid when I couldn't read the code from KeyMoving my URC8820.

Anyway, OP, have you understood the reference to the phenomenon known as "shift-cloaking" whereby when one address a Shift-function, if there is no code assigned to it then the remote looks back to the code assigned to the original or "real" button whether it is by upgrade or by built-in setup code?
Zellarman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
Anyway, OP, have you understood the reference to the phenomenon known as "shift-cloaking" whereby when one address a Shift-function, if there is no code assigned to it then the remote looks back to the code assigned to the original or "real" button whether it is by upgrade or by built-in setup code?

Understood, thanks
Zellarman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Before you started, the POWER button performed the "all on" command, but due to the fact that people where accidentally hitting this button when they shouldn't, you disabled it by placing a "do nothing" keymove on the POWER button. However, because you still want the ability to turn everything on once in a while, you would like to program the shift-POWER button to perform the "all on" function.

Did I sum it up correctly?

Right on the money Robman. I kind of got ahead of myself, w/ trying to assign a function to the shifted power button before testing a setup that I thought was only half complete
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: