JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need Help with a HouseLinc RDF file
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you clone the RDF, in addition to changing the name and EEPROM size, you should also change the size of the upgrade area and you should remove the 2nd line of fixed data...

[General]
UpgradeAddr=$100..$7FF (this will give you more room for upgrades)

[FixedData]
$01E = $00 $FF $FF (delete this entry)
dmoos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, thanks I will have to play around a while now and let you know how this works out.
dmoos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a fun one for you. Bought some new EEPROMS so I can have a backup in case an older prom fails, and make upgrades that I can send to some of my buddies who have smartlinc's When I put in the new EEPROM, it is blank (All FF's) When I try tp upload my file it gives me an error that the data read does not match. When I check the EEPROM again, it is still all FF's. I looked around the forums and got the impression that maybe I need to do a 981 reset in order to initialize the EEPROM, but the Smartlinc does not have an actual hardware keyboard, and I can't find any way to "Hold down a button". Any ideas on how I might get the EEPROM to a state where it will accept an upload?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

select Advanced > Enable Unsafe Upload
Then you'll see an "Unsafe Upload" button appear.
Assuming that you have a valid file to load, you can use this button to load data into a blank EEPROM.
dmoos

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That didn't work either, but I figured it out. I have two of the houselincs, one newer and one older. The units are using two different chips the newer one a 24LC16B, the older a 24C16N. I ordered the newer chips figuring newer is better. I didn't want to try and write to the newer chip because I wanted to keep one safe spare. Got to thinking maybe there was something different between the chips. Then it hit me that the way the chip was behaving was that it was write protected. Checked pin 7 on the board and it appeared to be tied to vcc, which would write protect the chip. I cheated and installed a new chip with the pin bent out so it wouldn't make contact with vcc and then the write worked fine. Odd, the data sheets on the chips seem to indicate pin 7 to be about the same functionally. I have some of the 24C16N chips on order to see if they work differently. Thanks for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: