JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

can someone create an install cd
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Hall of Shame (and other funny stuff)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: can someone create an install cd Reply with quote

all the downloading and searching for essential programs and all associating file is daunting DLL files where do they belong
it would be a lot easier to just create a install disk with all things being installed in one parent folder even dlls being placed in their own unique folder
as well and not necessarily a windows sstem folder since it is highly unlikely any other programs would call on it
all updates can be done ebery so often like every 6 months or a year the problem with zip files you have to know where to unpack all the stuff to as there is no readme file that tells where it belongs either
having to scour thru all the help manuals is time consuming as well while an install disk with everything on it would make better sense and do an installation upgrade once a year but regular changes as they become available
there are a number of install creator software out there
I wouldn't even mind paying for that convenience rather than this headache as well
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: can't learn the missing keys in the 7810 Reply with quote

the dlink 320 had several unassigned keys so tries to learn them directly to the 89qo remote but got a mem full error
and read somewhere her that could just dump whats in memory and learn the rest how then can the codes be put together so I will have all the keys mapped then
a master chart om data and what they can be used to program what would be better but aside from that need to merge two files so all keys woek
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle,

You've been writing a lot of posts asking for some sort of short-cut to using all of the tools available here for programming a JP1 or JP 1.X remote. It seems that you have not read, or have not understood the Beginner's ReadMe documents. All is explained there and apparently rather well, since requests such as yours, indicating complete inability to sort out what to do, are extremely rare. An installation CD is not really a practical option, since there are so many different tools and supporting tools, each of which changes at different times and it would be next to impossible to maintain such a “CD” properly updated, considering that each tool is maintained by a different expert, each of whom works on them for free and when they have the time and inclination to do so. That said, I will try to summarize what you need and how to use it.

(1) Download and unzip IR.exe into the folder of your choice. I put all of the files into a folder called JP1 in the My Documents folder. Amongst its functions, the primary ones IR.exe allows you to:
a. Communicate with the EEPROM in your remote. You can download and upload (and save) complete remote configurations. Current versions of IR save this file as an *.ir file. Older versions of IR saved this data as a *.txt file. Old IR *.txt files remain compatible with current versions of IR;
b. Assign devices to device Keys and assign other general settings on yoru remote (on the “General” page);
c. Add or delete Device upgrades (on the “Devices” page) and Protocol upgrades (on the “Protocols” page);
d. Create and/or modify Keymoves (on the “Keymoves” page), Macros (on the “Macros” page), and Special Functions (on the “Special Functions” page);
e. Decode Learned signals (on the “Learned Signals” page)
(2) Download and unzip the RDF.zip file. These Remote Definition Files are required by IR.exe to know how any particular remote is “arranged” internally, from button codes to memory mappings. I put these in a folder named “RDF” in the JP1 folder. In IR.exe, you must go to File>Set Directory>RDF Path and tell IR where to locate the rdf files. (The rdf’s are also required by RM – see below)
(3) Download and save the decodeIR.dll file. I put it in the same folder as IR.exe, but you may want to put it in your windows system folder. This file is required for IR to accurately decode any learned signals you may have learned and want decoded.

To build/modify upgrades, you have TWO options:
(4) Keymap Master (KM): Download and unzip this file. I put it in the JP1 folder. For this to work, you must have Microsoft Excel installed; or
(5) RemoteMaster (RM): Download and save (again, I put this in the JP1 folder). RM requires you to download and install Java Runtime Environment (free download)
KM and RM accomplish the same thing in very different ways, but each tool is quite intuitive. KM requires Excel to work, and saves its Device Upgrade files as a *.txt file (not to be confused with an IR.exe *.txt file), while RM does this in a Java setting, provides a more graphical user interface (a picture of the remote where you can assign buttons, for example). For RM, you require the RDF files from above (the first time you open RM, it will ask you where to look for the RDFs) and the
(6) Maps and Images files (I unzip them to a folder called “Images” in the JP1 folder). RM saves its upgrades in a *.rmdu format but can also open KM-generated *.txt files and import raw data from an IR.exe's displayed Device upgrade/Protocol upgrade screen.

(7) On the hardware side, if you are using a JP1 USB cable, then you additionally need the USB driver. I don’t know where you put it, since I don’t need/use it.

Finally, additional tools that MAY become useful depending on how you proceed:
(8) IRtoWAV.exe if you do NOT have a cable and want to try to upload your upgrades to your remote via a *.wav file (some remotes are over-the-phone upgradeable); and
(9) Extinstall.exe if you intend to use an “Extender” to further modify the behaviour of your remote.

For each of these last two programs, you must tell IR.exe where to locate them on the File>Set Directory>… dropdowns.

Done all of that? Good. Now, basically:
(1) Learn as many signals as you can from your Original Equipment Manufacturer’s (OEM) remote (the Denon, Sharp or Pioneer remote that came with the device you’re interested in);
(2) DOWNLOAD from the remote into IR.exe;
(3) Look at the Learned Signals tab and transfer the information to the matching fields in KM or RM (you will have to have opened an instance of KM or RM to do this). You are NOT LIMITED to the function names that default in KM or RM. You can add or delete any function name you desire. The Protocol help can be very useful in selecting the best protocol for a particular upgrade;
(4) Delete the learned signals form your remote and repeat as necessary to capture all of the signals;
(5) In KM or RM, enter all of these data, assign the functions you want to the buttons you want;
(6) Copy the upgrade data (Device upgrade and possibly Protocol upgrade) from KM or RM to the appropriate pages in IR (click “ADD” at the bottom of the respective page(s))
(7) Make sure in IR’s General page that you have assigned your Device Upgrade Device Type and Setup Code to the Device Button you desire.
(8) Create any Keymoves and/or Macros you desire on their respective tabs (Click “ADD” and fill in the appropriate pop-up box(es))
(9) UPLOAD this to your remote.

The details in all of these steps are laid out in the readme’s that populate these fora, and if you have a problem, ask a SPECIFIC question about a SPECIFIC step that is confusing you. Questions like:“Make me an installation CD” will get you nowhere pretty quickly here. Some effort from the user is required.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that may be but one can be made with all the exe files and system file and folders already created all that would be left is all the data rm.rdf.etc etc that are constantly evolving they can be made in a zip format that can directly unzip them to the appropriate folder then as lomg as you intiate a stanadrd directory structure format the main elements can be on an install cd iso for they are not frequently updated as often In 2 years ir.exe only had 2 or 3 revisions
finding help om anything is difficult as the search criteria will cover everything whether in the post ot the topic together yeildin 1000s of results
if I'm looking for a Sylvania XXX will get results in both topic and posts combined and can't narrow irt down to just topics only
Ir.exe and rm exe and irtowave.exe plus what ever others are not put together either plus zip files should include its own readne file that accompanies the xip file rather than spending hours gping over the helpfiles to help ypu figure out what to do with it
also have no idea whether a prg exists that uses the usbuirt for in/output operations
Package the necessary prgs altogether and creating all standardized subfolders would be much better as there is enough of a strain dealing with all the coding of it
and one only has been made that followed such a pattern just wasn't updated the install creator makes that easier as well
all the files are scattered all over the files section and you have to hunt for everything esp with an arhachic search engine that could use a complete overhaul
I' know thats the servers problem but still
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that when you're just starting out that the prospects of doing all of this look daunting. But you will learn over time and get more and more comfortable with the tools, the upgrades, etc.

However, I do agree that creating an "install CD" or an "install download" would be a considerable amount of work that won't pay off for the vast majority of the community in the long run. Installers are complicated programs in and of themselves, programs that take time and thought to build correctly. Time and thought that a developer can be be using on keeping the other tools up to date.

Certainly if there is an MSI installer expert out there that has nothing to do, it would be an interesting project, but until then I think that the rest of the experts in here would serve this community better by keeping up the work on the main tools.

-bill
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

making an install cd is easyier by comparison to manual installing theresan an actual installer you can download called install creator that is easy enough to use by anybody
from the most common to the more complicated registry enties and the like
Once you make the intialsetup file it saves it ro a file where you can easily make changes revisions updates as well so it's even simpler to create
then making an iso file that you can burn to multiple cds or dvds orr upload to a server for distribution
I have trouble trying to propery install files this way but have created restore install cds/dvds using it
so its not as challenging or time consuming one might think.
Anyway there is is an install cd available right on this site someone created 2 years ago and if they kept the creator file can update that just as easily

I beleive Dexxus
so I've
already created it in 2005
you can also note that the link is even given in my first posted topic then

so I've already installed from it but with all revised and newer prgs need to modify it again
heard that usbuirt has been addede but can find those appropite files that can be included in the next revision plus all help files being placed on it as well alomg wirh an updates of codes that are currently up to date
As soon as I can find all those updated files I will create a new install cd for you and the creator file as well so anybody later may reupadate it as the need arises

"nnede help installing files"
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelli1501 wrote:
that may be but one can be made with all the exe files and system file and folders already created all that would be left is all the data rm.rdf.etc etc that are constantly evolving they can be made in a zip format that can directly unzip them to the appropriate folder then as lomg as you intiate a stanadrd directory structure format the main elements can be on an install cd iso for they are not frequently updated as often In 2 years ir.exe only had 2 or 3 revisions
finding help om anything is difficult as the search criteria will cover everything whether in the post ot the topic together yeildin 1000s of results
if I'm looking for a Sylvania XXX will get results in both topic and posts combined and can't narrow irt down to just topics only
Ir.exe and rm exe and irtowave.exe plus what ever others are not put together either plus zip files should include its own readne file that accompanies the xip file rather than spending hours gping over the helpfiles to help ypu figure out what to do with it
also have no idea whether a prg exists that uses the usbuirt for in/output operations
Package the necessary prgs altogether and creating all standardized subfolders would be much better as there is enough of a strain dealing with all the coding of it
and one only has been made that followed such a pattern just wasn't updated the install creator makes that easier as well
all the files are scattered all over the files section and you have to hunt for everything esp with an arhachic search engine that could use a complete overhaul
I' know thats the servers problem but still
You're welcome. Rolling Eyes

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelli1501 wrote:
Can anybody write a more step by step manual to make and create ir files from scratch
I did this (above) and all you do is complain some more. I'm sorry I wasted your (and my) time.

Oh, by the way, this was good advice:
jimdunn wrote:

Incidentally, and here I'm trying to be helpful, not rude; a little punctuation, capitalisation, and spellchecking would help people understand your questions better, and make it more likely you'll get good help. I had to read your last post 3 or 4 times just to understand what you were asking.

Jim

Amazon Firestick
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'v e found dozens of helpfiles on here but none that guides you thru a logical step by step approach using everything nor even what exact files are needed make a universal help file that covers everything so there is no need to hunt for them
and nothing about what all the exe .files in one place either
IR.exe
RM.exe
ir to wav.exe
extinstal.exe
irtools.exe
and none other than ir or rm is given much of a thought too plus how many others are ignored
plus all the appropite usb and serial and other drivers that one may need

that's not whining just want a more all inclusive simple help file that covers all the components as well
and only brainy people complain about grammatical punctuiation
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chelli1501 wrote:

Michelle, the reason that more people aren't trying to help you is probably because (a) you're posts are so hard to read and (b) you don't follow any of the advice given.
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not good at punctuation where a coma goes as opposed to a semicolon or end sentences with a period or an exclamation point nor am I an avid typist and mis-spell things often but if you look closely can figure out it was most of the time of hitting the adjacent key by mistake I have sent what appears totally as gibberish before but those are rare
if you can understand what I am writing and respond then why harp of my lack of punctuation then
as to not heeding advise I have done that and still find it as frustrating
people talk about stuff I hadn't even got a clue that it exists yet which all the help files have to be looked for to find anything which can be exhausting as they're not all in one help file either
even reading there is a way of reading signals via usbuirt and don't get that yet as that would be easier as well as in a remote file that is missing keys mapped learning and retreiveing that signal would be far better than interpreting its code
as for the install cd I fpound that and installed what was there and making a current one up from that as well as the oldere files need to be updated now anyway
and found other materrrials that were addressed in earlier posts of mine as well
I stil have no idea of the code chart you use to determine what code activates what key
as there apparently is no binary prg map to reference it

As to punctuation if you can understand it don't ask for it to be placed as I failede grammer class anyway
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the install cd ready with ir 7.03 and other current file types I think including the usbuirt drivers if someone cares to inspect it and advise anything else I may have overlooked could send the.could send the install ip file as well as the jp1 setup file as well used install creator to create it
the install will create all necessary folders and files and startup menu icons as well placing them directly in the Program Files Folder under the current folder ir 7.03 but can still be modified to read some other name
this is only the first draft any additional info and update files would be appreciated
hadn't tested out the actual install file yet
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck.

Amazon Firestick
chelli1501
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried uploadin jp1 tols setup.zip to diagnosis area to check what needs to be included but when uploaded the only screen that comes back is blank
have no ide whether it's accepted yet even checking for anyrecent files dont tell me anything
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
chelli1501 wrote:

Michelle, the reason that more people aren't trying to help you is probably because (a) you're posts are so hard to read and (b) you don't follow any of the advice given.

Deja vu!
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=38580#38580
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=38590#38590
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=38617#38617
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Hall of Shame (and other funny stuff) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: