JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JP1 remotes modified with X10 keychain remote
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the wall switch dimmer modification many times (Q502 in the FAQ link), but I've never seen all that info in one place. That's some great stuff, Rob. Thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that someone else developed the same sort of upgrade for X10-RF a while ago, here's the file...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2193
fpreston

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Other X10 RF device Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I just noticed that someone else developed the same sort of upgrade for X10-RF a while ago, here's the file...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2193

Yes, I tried this device code earlier without success.

By the way, the other X10 modification articles just gave me another idea to try later (after the current mod is working). I could add a tilt switch in line with the RF puck to only enable it while pointed down. This would eliminate any concerns about power usage and cross-contamination of other device transmissions.

Fred
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to assume that it's a hardware problem then, rather than an upgrade problem. Hopefully Tommy's RF capture device will reveal the answer.
fpreston

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: X10 RF Hardware Problem? Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I've got to assume that it's a hardware problem then, rather than an upgrade problem. Hopefully Tommy's RF capture device will reveal the answer.

That sounds like the only possibility, unless maybe the bit polarity is totally backward or something. I assumed that if the X10 remote is outputting IR at the same time as the RF, then the IR polarity has to be the same as the RF. However, I am not aware of the X10 IR signal being used for anything from the RF remotes. My mod used the URC8820 output after going through the first inverter, since this is what directly drove the IR output.

I am still curious as to how you knew to use NEC2 versus NEC1 versus X10 protocols since the supposedly working devices are inconsistent in which one is selected.

Fred
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The X10-IR protocol is a totally different format to NEC, and all the examples of X10-RF signals that were referenced earlier use the NEC format.

The terms NEC1 and NEC2 are JP1-specific terms, so you won't see them referenced outside of the world of JP1.

NEC1 refers to the version of the signal where the data stream is sent once, then if the button is held down a stream with no data is sent (ie, just the leadin and leadout portions).

NEC2 refers to the version of the signal where the data stream is repeatedly sent for as long as the button is held.
fpreston

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: RF mod update Reply with quote

It has been a while since I gave an update. Unfortunately, my modified URC-8820 evidently got something spilled on it (while still opened). I cleaned it well with alcohol, but the remote is no longer functional. It does still handle J1.2 programming, however. This happened before I built my Digitrace RF tester.

I have since bought two 10820 remotes (as substitutes) so that I could steal my one remaining 8820 from family use. I modified this unit with the RF and found it was not transmitting enough to be picked up by the Digitrace. Apparently, the IR LED drive is not enough to modulate the RF circuit after all. I haven't gone any further, yet.

Meanwhile, I've noticed that the 10820 remote functions quite differently from the 8820. For some reason, each button push requires a second or two delay prior to initiating a second button push command. This is functional (although somewhat irritating) except for entering command strings, like channel numbers. Any thoughts about what could be wrong? I'm wondering if the unit is defective.

Fred
fpreston

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: RF mod to URC-10820 ? Reply with quote

I noticed that the URC-10820 remotes use 4 AAA batteries instead of two like the URC-8820. Also, the schematic shows a much more solid drive via Q31 (at R32). I may try to use my credit card remote to modify the URC-10820, since both are 6V. (I need to figure out why the 10820 is so slow in accepting push button commands first, though).

Fred
fpreston

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: URC10820 Reply with quote

My URC-10820 problem turned out to be 2-fold. The batteries had gotten weak enough in 1 day such that the remote was indicating an error condition. Replacing the batteries corrected the button delay issue, but only for a couple days. The supplier sent me a new remote.

Fred
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: