JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-7800 extender source posted

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: URC-7800 extender source posted Reply with quote

Following up from a series of posts on this topic here in the past week, with the help of Elizabeth D, Vicky G and John Fine I was able to re-create the source for the 7800 extender by disassembling and commenting the hex in the download area. I've posted the results in the 7800 extender download area here:

Update:

Elizabeth found a bug in the version I posted yesterday which is fixed today, she then verified that her 7800ex2 configuration works with this extender. I've also done some of the initial work towards Vicky starting to do other things with the extender (moving pseudo-device keys so that she can do other things) that don't impact the assembled code output just yet. this has been verified to be byte-for-byte identical to the EX2 version except for the signature.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4072

thanks to John for the clarifications on what the majority of the entry points did to Elizabeth for getting the default macros in there and for Vicky's comments while going through this exercise.

I did name this 7800ex3 to make sure it's not confused, with the appropriate changes in the signature. If you are going to use this you'll have to make a copy of the EX2 RDF with the name to match the signature in this source. (an exercise for the reader!)

Hopefully with this, Elizabeth and Vicky can start their project to bring this early extender up to date with some of the more recent features.

-bill

Last edited by unclemiltie on Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Bill!! I'm really looking forward to working with this.
jonpcar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am pretty new to this JP1 fun. Before Christmas I set out to replace my 'starting to misfunction, non-JP1' RCU811 device. It has been pretty reliable for the last year+ and so I ordered 2 on EBAY.

In my various EBAY searches I discovered a 'JP1 cable interface' for sale and was very intrigued (and hooked). So since then I have ordered quite a few additional remotes (2 x 8910, 1 x 9910, 1 x 6131 needs eeprom). I am the laughing-stock of my family. I have remotes sitting all over the house and every package that comes to the door brings more snide remarks. In any case I have successfully used the 8910 extender to setup my dream configuration...this is cool stuff!

But...I too really love my old Cinema 7 which I had to abandon a couple of years ago when it didn’t support some of my hardware; I didn't know the JP1 world existed. So yesterday I soldered on the pins and set out to program my 7800 in a similar fashion to my 8910s. It was the first time I looked into the 7800 extender and I hadn't realized that it was one of the grand daddies of extenders that doesn’t support all the current features. I haven't actually installed it yet because it will take me a while to figure out the installation and to crystallize my plan for the buttons.

Imagine my suprise when I read these recent threads...An updated 7800 extender would be fantastic! Count me in if you need a tester.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonpcar wrote:
I am the laughing-stock of my family. I have remotes sitting all over the house and every package that comes to the door brings more snide remarks.

TELL ME ABOUT IT!!!! Laughing
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, in the code there is something that I haven't figured out yet that does something special with keycode $40. It appears that the extender searches the EEPROM for this keycode (keymove/macro? don't know) and does this on every keypress after it figures out which device in the HT sets the key belongs to.

I looked did a quick scan of the docs but didn't see anything about this, anyone remember back 5 or so years about something on this?

-bill
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW, in the code there is something that I haven't figured out yet that does something special with keycode $40. It appears that the extender searches the EEPROM for this keycode (keymove/macro? don't know) and does this on every keypress after it figures out which device in the HT sets the key belongs to

Well 3F is phantom 4, and as far as I know 40 is unused. I think that's the clue. I'll research it.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a breakthrough Exclamation
unclemiltie, THANKS for taking time to disassemble and document this orphaned extender Smile Beautifully done. And while it will be handy for Vicky, or whoever takes on the challenge of extending it further, even current users can benefit from one new gadget - the hex file - to make extinstall merging so much simpler, and up to date, like the other extenders.

In my opinion, before it becomes ext3, the hex file could/should become a part of the current ext2 zip distribution by the owner thereof.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: