JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

15-1994 - backlight broke, can't learn either

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mceachrw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: 15-1994 - backlight broke, can't learn either Reply with quote

sadly the backlight on my 15-1994 no longer works. i just got some new devices and got back into programming only to find i can't learn either. any suggestions on where to start?
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 15-1994 - backlight broke, can't learn either Reply with quote

mceachrw wrote:
i just got some new devices and got back into programming only to find i can't learn either.

Is it possible the learning memory is full? Have you downloaded it to IR and looked at what's in there already?
mceachrw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have only learned four signals for one device. i don't think it's full, but i'll check again.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using JP1, do a download and save the file in IR. Then try resetting the remote (using the 9-8-1 command) to see if that restores learning. Fresh batteries may help as well.

As for the backlight, if you've dropped the remote, it's very possible that the EL transformer has come loose from the PCB. Unless the remote is truly defective, I doubt that the 2 problems are connected.
mceachrw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the remote gets dropped daily on hardwood floors. so i'll check the transformer joints.

i am using jp1, so i'll try the reset.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it gets dropped then there's a very good chance that the transformer is broken. There's only one place where you can get a replacement and that's hovisdirect.com, where it costs $6.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_d_p_gumby wrote:
What usually happens is one of two things:

1) The EL panel does not make proper contact with the PCB. This happens most often after someone takes the remote apart, but it can also happen if the EL panel shifts position when the remote is dropped, or some foreign matter gets between the contacts.

2) The transformer gets destroyed when it falls off the PCB (due to dropping the remote). On some models, the transformer is not securely attached to the PCB, and it is easy for this to happen. In these cases, some hot glue applied to hold the transformer to the PCB can be a good preventive measure.
After you install the transformer you buy from hovis (how come mouser doesnt carry these btw?), don't forget the hot glue!

Happy Holidays,
JP1Files
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
After you install the transformer you buy from hovis (how come mouser doesn't carry these btw?), don't forget the hot glue!

Both Tommy Tyler and myself looked around all the usual places trying to find these transformers without success, so we asked UEI where we might get them and they said they were pretty much only available on the Asian market and they gave us a few contacts.

I passed these on to Richard at hovisdirect.com and he ordered a bunch of them directly from someone in Hong Kong.

And yes, you're totally correct about the hot glue, use as much of it as you can.
mceachrw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: transformer broke loose Reply with quote

i took the the remote apart this weekend and found the transformer broke loose taking parts of the pcb with it. i don't think there is enough of the pads left to solder on a new one.

i figure it would have cost ~$10 just to get a transformer. so, i just got a 8810w from walmart for $20. i like it better than the 15-1994 expect for the volume/channel controls. time to retire the 15-1994.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: transformer broke loose Reply with quote

mceachrw wrote:
time to retire the 15-1994.

Rob might be interested in it! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: