JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-6131 Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kilokahn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I have a 6131B00 (as it says on the back of the battery case) and the JP1 is not there, but the board has the imprints for it.

Does this mean if I send it to them, I will get it back with a JP1 jack? Reason why I ask is because I am only 10 minutes away from them, I should get it back pretty quick; however, if I am not going to get a JP1 enabled remote back, then is there a point?

Really, the only thing I am looking for is a good Media Center code but it would be nice to hack other things into this remote, like for my CD player and other bits and bobs.

Do you think it'd be a better idea to send this remote to Robman?

Thanks!

Chris
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to phone them first to tell them what upgrade codes you need and to be told where to mail it. I don't know whether you're 10 minutes away from the right place, and even if you are whether that will help much (to speed things up).

I assume that when you call them they can tell you what model of remote they will send back. I expect the 6131 is current enough it would still be some kind of 6131.

It can't be a 6131 without JP1, because they couldn't upgrade that.

It probably will be a 6131 with a JP1 connector and a 1K eeprom. For using an extender a 2K eeprom would be better, but if you're not planning to use the extender that wouldn't matter.

I don't know whether Rob offers an upgrade service. If he does, I'm sure it costs a lot more than the postage it would cost to use OFA's upgrade service. I don't think the 2K (which Rob would use) vs. 1K difference justifies that cost.
Kilokahn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am in Kent and Twinsburg is like 10 minutes away, I know where the facility is. Is there a way to remove the eeprom they give you and put a new one on?

What if I did want to use the extender? Is the 1k eeprom just not enough?

Thanks!
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilokahn wrote:
Is there a way to remove the eeprom they give you and put a new one on?

That would be harder than doing the whole mod yourself starting with the 6131 you have now.
Kilokahn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then I am assuming that the 6131 I have now won't do a whole lot even if they put the JP1 into it because the software needs a 2k eeprom?

Thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you send in a non-JP1 remote for an upgrade, they discard the remote that you sent in a replace it with a remote "of equal or greater value". It's very unlikely that you would get a URC-6131 back. You might get a URC-6131N but even more likely you'll get a URC-8820.

To mod this remote for JP1 use, you only need to add 2 parts, the 6-pin connector and the EEPROM, so if you think you have the ability to remove an EEPROM and replace it with a new one, you certainly have the ability to solder in the 6-pin, so you might as well do the mod yourself.

If you don't want to do the mod, but you really like the URC-6131 remote, I can sell you one that is already modified, but I don't offer an upgrade service.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The eeprom size in the 6131 doesn't matter much (if at all) if you don't install the extender software.

If you do install the extender software, I don't remember whether the 2k eeprom is absolutely required or merely much better than the 1k. I'm sure that answer is available in the extender folder and in other threads on the 6131.

Most JP1 features are available without the extender. But JP1 requires an eeprom.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But regardless, the 1k question is moot because you won't get a URC-6131 back if you mail one in.
Kilokahn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, would I get something decent at least? Something that I could use a JP1 and it be programmable?

Thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
When you send in a non-JP1 remote for an upgrade, they discard the remote that you sent in a replace it with a remote "of equal or greater value". It's very unlikely that you would get a URC-6131 back. You might get a URC-6131N but even more likely you'll get a URC-8820.

Kilokahn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant was if they send me back something, the eeprom will be 1k, is that enough to program it with the JP1 or is it better to just buy one from you guys?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when they would actually return modified URC-6131 remotes after the customer sent in an un-modified URC-6131 remote, they would usually return remotes with 1k chips installed.

Given that they have probably run out of URC-6131 remotes now, they are likely to send you a URC-6820 or URC-8820 remote instead. Both of these models are JP1.2 remotes, which means they don't have EEPROMs at all, so the 1k or 2k question is not relevant. JP1.2 remotes have flash memory and need a totally different JP1 cable in order for you to program them from your PC.

So, bottom line, you should either modify your URC-6131 yourself or buy a modified unit from me.
Kilokahn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then Flash memory is bad then and I can't program them from my home with a JP1.2? Just curious really. Smile

Thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing bad about flash memory, it's just different. I am assuming that you already have a JP1 cable and that you like the design of the URC-6131.

If my assumptions are correct and you send in the URC-6131 for an upgrade, there is a chance that you will get a remote like the URC-8820 back, you will then need to buy a JP1.2 cable in order to program the new remote. There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking this approach, it's just not as cost effective as modifying the remote yourself.
PhileFriendly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: 6131 Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I just sent in a URC-6131B00 about 2 weeks ago and I got back the exact same remote (except with the JP-1 plug) as far as I can tell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: