JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

want to clone my urc-9910

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocket777

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: want to clone my urc-9910 Reply with quote

I want to have a second remote which is an exact copy of how I've programmed my current urc-9910. I have just purchased

Product: JP1 Simple Cable
Quantity: 1
Product Code: DG-JP1-P02

And I've ordered a second urc-9910.

I've got version 5.05 of ir.exe

I'm a bit nervous about using the ir.exe program. I don't want to lose what I've programmed into my current unit.

Assuming I do a download from remote, and then move the cable from my current remote to the clone, and do an upload, I should be safe.

Is there anything, other than doing an upload to my original with nothing been set, that could damage my remote.

Can I plug in with the batteries in place (seems if I don't I'd lose my programming).

Thanks, from a nervous newbie.
Embarassed
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with a download from your current 9910, you will want to "save" it for future reference. The eeprom holds your settings when batteries are removed. An upload of no data won't damage your remote but might result in loss of custom settings or force you to perform a reset (of some form). You'd have to ignore some warnings to do it anyway.

Don't forget the RDF files that are needed for IR.exe too.

Normally you upload and download with batteries in place. Due to variations in PCs, sometimes it is necessary to connect without batteries or with one battery reversed. I would assume it's going to go easy, if it doesn't then help is always around.
irs009

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should update to IR 6.20.

Jack
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely use at least version 6: it's cheaper too. Wink
rocket777

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this sort of like the prom was some kind of separate memory card? No power to the remote is required to access the prom then? The parallel interface has all the signals (and power?) it needs to access the prom?

I see there are 2 possible rdf's for my remote,

CPT0CPT0 (URC-9910_8910).rdf
CPT0CPx1 (URC-9910_8910 Extender 1).rdf

I'm not sure which one is which. Does anyone know what the extender 1 file is?

I guess then, as long as I'm not a total boob and use the "download from remote" button, my precious settings in the original remote won't get clobbered. The whole exercise here for me is to make a "backup" remote, now that I'd be helpless w/o it, and can't remember how I programmed it.

thanks for all the quick responses.Very Happy
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EEPROM rstores the data in it (all of your device code settings, keymoves, macros, learned signals) regardless of whether or not it has power supplied to it.

There must be an active "write" to change anything on it. There IS a power requirement to accomplish the "write", which seems to vary with remote/interface/individual computer combinations. That's why the mention of trying various battery configurations above.

Your basic remote requires the basic rdf, not the extender. The extender is a separate bit of software that some use to modify (enhance) the behaviour of the remote. It sounds like you're still on the basics and ought not worry too much about extenders just yet.

You needn't worry anoput the rdf, either, since when you DOWNLOAD FROM the remote, IR will automatically select the correct one, as long as all of the rdf's are in the folder to which you have "pointed" IR.exe.

You cannot DAMAGE the remote using IR.exe, but as you point out, you need to download FROM (and save the IR file you get) before uploading TO or your current configuration will be lost.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In summary:

1] Install latest verion of IR.EXE
2] Start IR
3] Plug in your source remote
4] Go to the General tab and click on the "Download from Remote" button
5] Unplug source remote
6] Go to the menu and select File...Save As
7] Plug in destination remote
8] Go to General tab and click on "Upload to Remote" - allow a few seconds for the data to write before unplugging the remote.

At step 4], IR will auto-detect the remote type and use the correct RDF
Step 6] is a safety feature in case you need to revert to you current setup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: