JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need 1 code for Sony MHC-RG70AV Mini System
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
streetskater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:35 am    Post subject: Need 1 code for Sony MHC-RG70AV Mini System Reply with quote

First of all Sony has too damn many protocols Smile but to the point. I have this kind of cheesy Sony Mini System (MHC-RG70AV) that will probably work as my bedroom home theater**. I'm trying to find the code for the button on the remote that enables you to balance the Prologic Surround Setup. On EVERY other similar Sony device all the setup codes are on a Sony 12;18 protocol beginning with a Test Tone at OCB 74. Then there are normally separate buttons for Rear and Center... so you can adjust accordingly but oh no not this mini system.

It alone has a single button called "Rear/Center Level" and then you use Up and Dn buttons to actually adjust the volume--and it HAS to be done from the remote! This it's the only Sony Mini System I've seen do it that way and I cannot find that "R/C Level" code ANYWHERE.

I've looked at every Sony MHC I can find--here, on our Yahoo site and within the Pronto setups from Remote Central and of course Rhm5757's Sony Codes from Hifi Remote. None other uses this key.--and I've cruised through most of the actual possibilities from the common Sony Combined Protocols. I know rob has deciphered a Sony mini system he came across but it doesn't use this Single Rear/Center remote button either.

Here's the Culprit

The remote itself is ridiculously simple and is Sony part # "RM-SR210AV". I doubt anyone is going to have this but I thought I'd ask. I think I'm gonna need to find someone with the remote itself to learn the key from.

**Can't believe my Onkyo Reciever burned up. Onkyo is built tough--and that only 2 days after my Optimus Reciever blew--Well that one was nearly 20 years old but I swear the transformer in that could have powered a window AC--with heatsinks to handle it too.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although you provide a LOT of info, I still recommend putting this type of question in the Code Search Forum, and use of the Code Search template. This way, it would be obvious that you do NOT have the OEM remote (information buried pretty deep in this post), what JP1 remote you DO have, whether or not you have checked the file section and which files, etc. etc.

As it is, I would recommend checking out the Sony Remote Control Codes website as it has the most extensive collection of Sony codes extant.

If you HAVE checked there, that's not apparent from your post, either.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
streetskater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I probably should have put this in the Code Search Forum.

It doesn't really matter which remote I'm trying to program---I have a bunch including 1994, 1995, 1925, 2116, 2117 and various other JP1 enabled remotes and Omni-remote on my Palm--to find the code for one is to find it for all.

I did mention that I've checked the codes sections of all the remote sites I know (All the JP1 sites including here and Yahoo, and Remote Central,....I've looked at every likely Sony JP1 device file and every likely Pronto .ccf file. Been there done it--said so above. What you're calling "Sony Remote Control Codes website" I refer to above as "Rhm5757's Sony Codes" as it's called on Hifi-remote.com. That is about the most complete Sony protocol collection I know of and I've parked there many a time.

As I mention above almost all the Sony Mini systems use a Sony 12;18 protocol with discrete commands for Rear +, Rear-, Center+, Center -, etc for the surround sound setup. The system I have doesn't follow that "tradition" It uses a single code from a button on the remote called Rear/Center Level and no other Sony Mini System I've seen has that button or uses that code. I'm not sure I can be any clearer.

Bottom line:
If anyone actually has the original remote shown above they can probably help--otherwise finding this off-beat code is probably not going to happen-- unless I program my PDA to cycle through every possible Sony code there is. That could be an interesting exercise in iterative looping I suppose Smile
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend making a list of all the othere buttons on this remote along with which protocol/device code/OBC that they use. Then, we can probably make an educated guess as to which protocol/device code this particular button probably uses, then you can try all 127 OBCs for that device code, which shouldn't take too long.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

streetskater wrote:
almost all the Sony Mini systems use a Sony 12;18 protocol with discrete commands for Rear +, Rear-, Center+, Center -, etc for the surround sound setup. The system I have doesn't follow that "tradition" It uses a single code from a button on the remote called Rear/Center Level and no other Sony Mini System I've seen has that button or uses that code. I'm not sure I can be any clearer.

You've been very clear about your online searches, but not at all clear about what (if anything) you've tested.

Did you test the commands that other mini systems use to see what effect they have on your system? Many systems respond to commands that are on the remotes of higher end models, even though those commands are not on the remotes that came with the system.

Are you sure the button you are looking for even sends a command? Sometimes a button doesn't send a command to the controlled device, but instead modifies the internal state of the remote, changing which commands are sent by other buttons. Maybe the button you can't find changes which signals will be sent by subsequent presses of the vol buttons.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proceding logically, then, although you HAVEN'T stated explicitly, can we assume that OTHER SONY 12:18 codes work on this piece of equipment?

If so, a single device number (18) code search ought not take that long. I'd make a handful of upgrades, assigning twenty OBCs in each one and run through testing them all.

If, on the other hand, the unit responds to a MIX of signals from SONY 12:18 and SONY 12:12 and/or any other SONY protocol:device combination, then Rob's suggestion might be your only way (short of finding an OEM remote to buy or borrow).

I have found this remote for sale at only two sites. This one for $71.95 and a number of sites point to this vendor who seems to get pretty crappy reviews, but sells it for $47.95.

You may want to figure out which vendor has a decent return policy and if the financial risk is acceptable, buy one, learn it, and return it.

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
streetskater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Well I'm not sure this mini system is worth it but it's become one of those challenge things.

Actually peliopoulos' Minisystem RXD10AV device setup in our files section here
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=354
turned out to be my preferred launching point.

He uses a Sony Conbo(12,15,20) with Sony 20 sub devices 57;153. He has devices on that setup I don't have But his setup gives mea nearly complete set of codes that work for my Sony. Of course I changed the remote from his TIVO to my 2117. I haven't mapped every single function yet but so far everything that I have mapped comes from that Sony Combo(12.15,20) device setup. The keys I haven't found yet are the Rear/Center Level and the up dn/left right keys (which I haven't even looked for yet)

Other Device Codes from our Files/HT Systems here that I've looked at include:
Rob's Minisystem MHC-RG220
myjp12000' CFD-S20CP-boombox
mtakahar's MHC-MG310AV-SonyCombo
bevhoward's HCD-CPX1CompAudio10c

From the Yahoo JP1 site in the Files/Home Theater[/b] Section I've looked at:
Rob's CFD-S20CP-boombox
Rob's Dream_System
wizatdiz' DAVS300_8811

From the Pronto CCF devices on Remote Central in [i]Files/Sony/Mini Systems

Bryan Zada's MHC-6600
Rikardo P's MHC-991AV
Cary Gerber's MHC-F100
Pete Hillyer' MHC-MD595
David Morgan's MHC-NX3AV

Almost all of the above devices have a lot of codes that work for my MHC-RG70AV sometimes even duplicating the functionality from a Sony12/20 protocol--with different OCB's than the Sony Combo(12,15,20) that I'm building on.
NONE Of them however have the elusive Rear/Center Level code and YES, John I'm pretty sure that is needed to put the device itself into the surround setup mode--although your thought is something to explore. It's the up/dn buttons that control the individual levels and it appears the Rear/Center Level button toggles you between the rear and center speakers. (as I said, virtually every other mini system uses discrete Rear+, Rear-, Center+, Center- to do this setup--and those codes don't work at all for the MHC-RG70AV. Of course Sony doesn't have this RM-SR210AV remote in their online database.

I've hunted through the Rhm5757's Sony Codes looking for something likely but found nothing.

Cap'n I have done what you suggested and just plugged banks of consecutive codes from my working Sony Combo spreadsheet and tried 'em. No joy. Admittedly I haven't done it with absolute strict scientific methodology but fairly tight.

I'm thinking some genius at Sony pulled this code right out of his....ah...bag of tricks and it could come from ANY of the Sony protocols--although one likes to think, as Rob suggests that it's going to be somehow close to the rest of the protocols that work. I've seen Sony and Onkyo stick one or two codes on their remotes that just seem to come from outter space.

Thanks all for your input. I think we've now spent more time on this Mini System than Sony did designing it!

Rob I'm actively attempting to hack my Sony DVP-CX985V 400 DVD changer ( upgrade the 985 to the 777 firmware). I'm pretty sure I've got one of the older Rom's that CAN be successfully modified. I don't know if this is still of interest to you but I'll keep you informed of my progress.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was really looking for is a list of which protocols/device codes are used for the functions that work. It doesn't help much to say that all the functions are covered by the Sony Combo protocol because you can use the combo to make a mix of just about ANY Sony device code.

Looking at the list here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/sony/Sony_cdcombo.htm

I would say that the first place you should try looking for the missing button is Sony12, device 18, as that's where the regular rear/center commands are found.

It would be easy to create a few upgrades which cover all the OBCs (from 0 thru 127) for device code 18 and try them out. However, I don't know how easy it will be to spot the code if you find it. Do you expect to get any reaction from the unit if you were to press this button? I mean, does an indicator change or does the LD display show a message?
streetskater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I haven't posted here in years so I probably deserve the thrashing I'm getting. Trust me, I've been through the obvious 12;18 codes from 0 to 127. I worked right from the "All Sony" site you're pointing me to. My bad. I'm too entrenched in Sony right now--(Just worked out the remote for a Sony STR-DE345 Receiver which was also a Combined(12/15/20) with a lot of the same functions--so I've got this stuff in short term memory and I'm not stating the obvious.

Most of the Receiver's prologic and effects setup come from 12;18 but basic volume for example comes from 12;16--some effects come from 12;12--as you correctly stated they can pretty much come from anywhere which is why I pointed to the Combo setup codes I'm using @ http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=354. I thought that was easier than trying to ennumerate stuff explicitly--I'll get the hang of it--This is my week of grace! Smile

Yes, once you turn on the Test Tone and then successfully zero in on one of the speakers sets to balance (rear, center, front...**) you should see that speaker in the display with it's level showing in + or - DB's.

**Most Pro Logic Receivers let you balance all the speakers in play. Many of the Sony Mini Systems, including the MHC-RG70AV I'm working on only let you adjust the rear and center--so the front speaker volume becomes your baseline--but you absolutely need, and get, a visual display to know what's going on.

I just don't think my mystery code is coming from the 12;18 set. Time could prove me wrong---it often does. Before I go to bed tonight I'm going to cycle through all 127 codes again just to be sure.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog_name=MCMProducts&product_id=32-20555&CMP=datafeeds&ATT=froogle
streetskater

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welll they have a 30 day return policy it but it would be untypical of me to do something like buy it with the intentions of returning it. That's not me being noble either. I have 5 rebates siting in front of me waiting to get mailed in. I'm too used to doing everything on the internet. If I could fax it or email it back then I might do it.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't feel like you're being bashed if we ask for additional info, it's just the process we go through to try to get to the ultimate answer.

streetskater wrote:
Welll they have a 30 day return policy it but it would be untypical of me to do something like buy it with the intentions of returning it. That's not me being noble either.

Look at it as being to the good of society (the JP1 society that is). And hey, even if you don't get around to returning it, it costs less than $20 so you won't be out too much.
streetskater

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: OK I'm Calling "Uncle" Reply with quote

I ordered the remote today and much thanks to MaskedMan for finding the cheapest one on the internet--and a bona fide original remote replacement to boot--although they did charge me over $7 in shipping.

I figured out every code on that remote except the one. I went through all 127 of the 5 most likely sony combo protocols and after about 635 attempts I've throwing in the towel.

It's a matter of some pride with me as I don't believe I've ever been stymied this way to date. Usually there's a method to the madness but perhaps Sony perpetrated this code when they were doing their Root-Kit and not thinking straight.

At any rate I should confess:
Following the demise of my two receivers I picked up both this Sony Mini System and a perfectly functioning Yamaha mini system down on the basement--"Any one want this it's your's table" of my Co-op. It's, honest to god, so inconvenient in NYC to do anything with stuff you don't need anymore that a lot of it gets tossed just that way**. In Houston we used to have weekend yard sales but who has time here.

So given I paid nothing for either of those systems I suppose I can eat the $25 for the remote--hurt pride and all--and of course I can send it back although by the time I add return shipping and a probably 10% restocking fee--hardly worth it. This exercise certainly brought me back up to speed on JP1 in a hurry.

And, OH yes! I will definitely be uploading this config when I finally get that last code.

**Last week I found a perfectly good 40 Gig hardisk in the curbside "appliances trash pickup" Stuck a USB kit on it and it's added to my box full of backup hardisks!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: OK I'm Calling "Uncle" Reply with quote

streetskater wrote:
I figured out every code on that remote except the one. I went through all 127 of the 5 most likely sony combo protocols and after about 635 attempts I've throwing in the towel.
It's great that you have finally broken down andordered the elusive remote. Can't wait to see what this elusive code is, BUT, I hate to burst your bubble of accomplishment, but there are 256 OBCs for each Device/Subdevice combination, not 128, so you only tested HALF of them. Twisted Evil

Amazon Firestick
streetskater

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well wait a minute Smile
OBC automatically selects the device byte in the double hex code. The actual HEX produced for OBC 128 is the same as for 000, 129 the same 001 and so on... Y'all are trying to convince me I've turned senile in the year or two I've been away! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: