JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

x10 to turn on cable box w/ slingbox

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrrango95

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: x10 to turn on cable box w/ slingbox Reply with quote

I am currently residing in Asia, and am using a Slingbox to sling signals from our NYC apartment. Time warner seems to flash the box from time to time, which means it switches off, and must be turned on manually (by pressing the button). We discovered that by using an x10 outlet, we can replicate the turning on of the cable box but I am having trouble w/ uploading the codes to the slingbox.

I have used RM to open the x10 simple file, and also selected the Slingbox JU mode. After assigning the all on and all off buttons to the remote, I exported the binary file. Then I asked my brother, who is in NYC, to copy the binary file to the SBAV folder on a local sling player PC. But he can't seem to locate it upon the setup process.

I understand that we can't manually update the SBAV.cfg file anymore, but maybe we are missing a step-- and as a result, can't get it to work. Can anyone help us out?

-Randy
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying that you can't use the POWER button on the remote to power it up? If you can, you should be able to use the POWER button on the virtual Sling remote to do it also.

As for the SBAV folder, the path to it is normally something like this...

C:\Program Files\Sling Media\Slingplayer\SBAV

With earlier versions of the Slingplayer software you would see lots of *.bin files in this folder. With the current version you should just see three *.sbav files, one for each of the UEI chips (ie, JU, PL and RV).
rrrango95

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, when Time Warner flashes the box (to either collect data or upload some kind of cable lineup), it turns the cable box "hard off" which means it cannot be turned on except by pushing the button on the box. We tried the x10 and it miraculously works. I was using an IR Transmitter through a IR543 unit to turn it on through a different streaming platform, but now I want to use the slingbox because of the added flexibility.

I'll ask my brother to try and upload the bin file again.

On a separate question, how do we assign one of the x10 buttons to one of the grayed out buttons on the TIVO skin?

-RC
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current Slingplayer software only supports one device at a time, so you would need to go to the setup screen and load the X10 code, then turn the box on, then go back to setup and load the STB code.
rrrango95

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does this mean we need two slingboxes? One to control the x10 interface for the power on function, and one for the convetional tivo interaction?

-RC
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it means you would need to go to the setup screen and load the X10 code, then turn the box on, then go back to setup and load the STB code.
rrrango95

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am not sure I want to do that because I am never in the same home networking environment with the slingbox (i am in asia) so I can't go in and change the setup configuration on a regular basis.

Okay, let's go with a pure execution issue then.

So i have dropped the x10 simple binary file into the SBAV folder. But on the sling box setup tool, I can't find it. The only thing it refers to is code 1, code 2, code 3... etc. under every device(i.e, dvd, satellite, etc.). should i be saving it under a specific device? What do the code 1s etc mean?

Thanks again, I feel completely incompetent.

-Randy
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You obviously need to give it a device mode of some sort (eg, VCR, CBL, etc) just like you would with a remote. Then to load it, you select the appropiate device type in the Slingbox setup process, you can even select a brand if you like, then instead of selecting a particular model, you select "other" and you enter the code. The code is the first 5 characters of the name of the bin file (eg, C1234).
rrrango95

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, the BIN file does not show up under any of the remotes modes (Cable, DVD, DVR, etc.). I've named it several things, and w/ no luck. Is anyone else having the same problem?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: