JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

X10 issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad900

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: X10 issues Reply with quote

Ok I have just a few X-10 switches (4) and a couple appliance controllers for fans in my NYC apartment (closet). In the beginning all was good I had 2-3 wireless controllers and 1 corded controller, everything worked without a hitch. In time my cordless controllers ceased to function but the corded ones work 95% of the time (I just have issue turning "on" the bathroom light- but that's behind a half-wall and about 22 feet away- turning off however is not an issue).

I tried unpluging all my electronic equipment to no avail- still no wireless controllers working- corded ones were fine.

Also as a note this is a "pre-war" building and in each of my switches I have only 2 wires- white and black.

While I have access to a breaker box there is no way for me to install a phase coupler.

I am now thinking about replacing my switches with these modules:
http://www.homeautomationnet.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=969
Does anyone know if this will help my issues- or am I screwed do to my old old wiring and line noise etc.?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder whether you would have any better luck with an IR543 box, which you can also get from HomeAutomationNet.com for under $20.
Brad900

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Already have ;) Reply with quote

Rob,

I already have that unit- it works pretty flawlessly for me except every now and then it seems to get "stuck" where the red led light will stay on and the lights will not turn on- the unit will hold in that state for a bit and then reset itself somehow and all will be fine.

I think that I have an IR handheld remote kicking around somewhere from X10 I'm going to try it tonight....

Thanks though!!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like you may have a faulty unit, as I've never had that happen with my IR543. Also, you don't need an X10-IR remote to work the IR543, you can use any OFA remote that has the HOME/0167 code loaded. You can also load the code into any JP1 capable remote.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine used to get stuck too. Then I moved it away from all my other Audio/Video equipment, and never had any more problems.
Brad900

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mdavej that really helped regarding the unit getting stuck!!
Brad900

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK- well I have now moved cross country and I have the same issue! All my corded controllers work great but the wireless ones- nada!! I don't get it!!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it too late to move back? Smile
Brad900

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: LOL Reply with quote

You bastard! Wink

I just can't figure out why a corded unit would function perfectly, from anywhere in the house, but the wireless units get nada.

BTW- Portland rocks! Loving the west coast- which is quite a statement from a former NYC dweller!
Dabbith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The things I can think of are:

Is your wireless receiver set to the same housecode as the switches?
Could the batteries in your wireless controllers be dead?
Have you tried putting your wireless receiver in the plug where your corded unit works to test?

If none of those help, it might help to know what model wireless remote and what wireless reciever are you using?
sub0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: LOL Reply with quote

Brad900 wrote:
You bastard! Wink
, but the wireless units get nada.
!

If you hv multiple wireless remotes, and the wireless receiver don't work, your receiver is dead. Happened to mine after a few years (forgot the partnumber; its the one with the buildin appliance relay). Easily repaired. Think the same should apply to the TM module.

Inline with the live AC is a small 110uH inductor that feeds the dc circuit. That small inductor can easily become open over time, or if there is an AC spike. Replacing that with a 220uH (couldn't get any 110uH where I lived) got the transceiver working for a few months. Then it died again. The 2nd time, the inductor was fine, but the small 5V regulator it was feeding was dead. This was probably already damaged during the event which killed the original inductor. Replaced the 5V regulator, and the wireless receiver has been working fine for a couple of years now.

Samewhere on the side of this site are links that should take you to a schematic of the wireless receiver. If you are not handy with this kind of repair, get a new receiver.

Hope this infor helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: